Honda Heated Grips

I just installed Honda's Heated Grips. Tried them out yesterday, temp around 43, and they were great! They have 4 heat selections and at that temp 3 & 4 were too hot for me. I didn't think too much of the installation instructions. Had to do some modifications to them. The first intallation, the Quartet Harness which is required, Honda has you remove too much tupperware I believe. I didn't remove the Meter Panel. It's little more cramped anchoring the harness under there near the left headlight but possible. Crazykz's Harness Installation document with pictures was invaluable. The grips came off real easy using compressed air & spraying Isopropyl Alcohol. I was able to get the right grip off with out removing the inner throttle grip. I used RTV Hi Temp gasket sealant as Honda Bond A was not available. I basically ignored the spacing measurements the instructions showed for the left & right grips as they seemed too large. Plus the new end weights that came with the package were too large and wouldn't come near the end of the grips. The old weights fitted perfectly. I never used the spacer provided for the throttle grip but eyeballed the distance leaving enough space for the grip to rotate and space in front of the end weight. I ran the wires under the handle bars & then down to the steering head. It looks quite tidy & pretty professional for an amateur like me. :D

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I was just looking at a used '07 in the LMS today, and it had the Hondaline grips. I was getting the urge to have a pair for myself.

Is there a link to Curt's install sheet? :shrug2:
How long did the install take? :shrug2:
What's the best price on the grip set? :shrug2:

STOC #
Another neat feature is that when you are idling the bike, or running too many other electrics, the lights will flash to let you know you have exceeded the bike's charging ability. It usually goes off when you get the rpm above 2000.
level 1-2 is usually good, unless you're wearing heavy gloves.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hondaline heated grips have four settings:
Warm
Hot
Roast
Incinerate

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I get cold hands easily and I also have small hands so I can't wear big bulky warm gloves. I have the heated grips and they work great however they now always blink when I use 3 or 4 bars. My little issue to solve.

You'll like the heated grips.

Curt

I have the heated grips and they are great, however the grips are not the best when you don't need the heat. So in the summer without gloves I would prefer a thicker more padded grip. Are there any grips that go over these grips without effecting the heat?

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A
So in the summer without gloves I would prefer a thicker more padded grip. Are there any grips that go over these grips without effecting the heat?
Grip Puppies - cheap & padded. Get size Small, and cut 1/4" inch off one end or the other. Orient the cut side toward the bike. To fit over your Honda heated grips, squeeze a little hand soap onto your index finger and lube the insides at both ends of the Grip Puppies, then slide them right over the Honda grips. Super easy.

BTW... I can still feel the heat on #1 (through the Grip Puppies and wearing thin leather gloves).

Matt

st13fundred

Blue:The color of which place?
Bike
'04 ST13A
Thanks, I just placed an order for them.
I think you'll like them. At 5 inches in length, they were slightly longer than the length of the Honda heated grips (if you measure inside the flared ends). I thought they would be bunched up too much if I didn't cut them (you may feel differently). If you decide to shorten them, don't cut more than a 1/4" inch, and use a VERY sharp (utility) knife so you get a clean cut (a dull knife will tend to tear rather than cut).

Let us know what you think,
Matt

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Just got new Honda heated grips installed on my new bike yesterday. It was really nice to get a little heat (setting 1) today. Air temp was about 50, and they felt great. I definitely recommend everyone gets a set of grips.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Hmm. Grips don't draw much power right? Maybe the stock wiring kit has undersize wire? Or the combination of everything else is pulling the real system voltage down.:shrug2:

I get cold hands easily and I also have small hands so I can't wear big bulky warm gloves. I have the heated grips and they work great however they now always blink when I use 3 or 4 bars. My little issue to solve.

You'll like the heated grips.

Curt

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Hmm. Grips don't draw much power right? Maybe the stock wiring kit has undersize wire? Or the combination of everything else is pulling the real system voltage down.:shrug2:
Nope. Wiring is fine. The switched hot pin on the quartet harness was corroded and tarnished. I good cleaning cleared most of it up although it's starting to act up again. I may need to replace the connector and the pins. I can replace the quartet harness easy enough but I'll need to be very careful about redoing the one that's on the main wiring harness.

Curt

Bike
ST1300
Crazykz & All,

I installed my Honda heated grips over the weekend. It took several hours over 2 days; I took my time and shot plenty of pictures along the way.

My installation was pretty much a text box installation with a few minor variances. For those of you with the mirror deflectors installed, these make removing the meter panel nearly impossible without damaging these. Therefore, I opted to loosen the meter panel and leave it floating while performing all the required work.

:new:Here?s a list of the variances that I used:

? Used Three Bond 1104 to glue the throttle side grip into position, instead of the Honda Bond A.

? Improved and optimized cable routing, no visible extra cable lying out in the open.

? Put heat-shrink tubing over all connectors and joining plugs. A 3? section of 1? tubing for the 9-pin connector, 4? section of ?? tubing for the heated grips connector/plug, and 2 pieces of 4? sections of ?? tubing over the grips jointing connections. Then I wrapped the open ends with vinyl electrical tape.

? For the panel cutout, I used my CNC Mill for this operation. For those of you that are not familiar with panel, there?s an outline on the backside of the panel for the heated grip controller.

For all you machinist on there - I used a ?? end-mill centerline cutting using these dimensions, 1.0? X 1.55?. I zeroed the tool using the outer edge of the cutter to the cutout outline on the back of the panel in the upper top left corner. It came out perfect, no doing it over again to open it up more. :tools1:

I hope to do a write-up/reference guide, when time will permit me to do so. Stay tuned!!! :run1:

I found your Quartet Harness write-up to be quite useful before starting the project. I purchased my sub-harness ($14.79), heated grips ($170.18) and DC Accessory Socket (about $50) from this website, http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=ST1300 . The DC Accessory Socket is currently on backorder and is not in the country (U.S.A.) at this time. :money1:

I used my heated grip for the first time on the way to work this morning, they worked great. I had it set to ?1? wearing my warm weather gloves. My hands were nice and toasty all the way in. :nuke1:

You can put me down as one of the happy installers/owners. :wave1::wave1:

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for posting all that. Great install. I'm glad that it worked out.

Curt

fredz43

Fred Z
STOC #
The grips came off real easy using compressed air & spraying Isopropyl Alcohol. :D
Just a cautionary note for future reference. Never use compressed air to remove the heated grips. Although the internal heating element wires are flexible, they are not elastic and will break if you balloon the grips with compressed air.

If you do use air on heated grips and learn the hard way, as I did, another bit of info is that David Silver Spares sells individual Honda replacement grips.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just a cautionary note for future reference. Never use compressed air to remove the heated grips. Although the internal heating element wires are flexible, they are not elastic and will break if you balloon the grips with compressed air.

If you do use air on heated grips and learn the hard way, as I did, another bit of info is that David Silver Spares sells individual Honda replacement grips.
Thanks Fred, I wasn't aware of that as I've never had the OEM heated grips, good info.

Top Bottom