Symtecs with toggle switch

STOC #
New Enough sent me a Symtec grip heating kit with the metal toggle instead of the rocker switch. A friend said that the metal toggle is not waterproof. Is this true? What should I do? Where should I mount the switch?

Thanks,
G
91 ST1100

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
More than likely the toggle is not waterproof, but they make a rubber cover that covers the switch, threads onto the body of the switch, search for metal switch cover or toggle switch cover, scroll down a little to see what I am talking about, you may find them at an auto supply store or possibly rat shack.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/switchaccessories.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mean
STOC #
Looking at the back of the package, I see that the Symtecs come in both versions. Seems strange that they would even offer a switch that was not waterproof for use on a motorcycle.

G

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Give New Enough a call and see if they sell the round switch. If you are going to use the toggle, Napa sells a rubber cover. You should be able to find one at any auto parts store.

I have the round switch on my Symtecs. Not 100%, but it does not look waterproof to me. Have had it in rain though, and never a problem.

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have had a couple of the round rockers fail for the heated grips, seems like water will get in there and create some gunk on the lower side of the switch contact, which is the high heat side. I have since taken the switch apart and filled it with dielectric grease. Mine is mounted right below the left fairing pocked so it is out in the elements. :biker:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Symtecs came with the toggle switch. I bought the rubber cover at a boating store and mounted the switch inside the right side fairing pocket out of the weather.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Just to show haow samrt we are with the Symetics, just saw the Honda Gold Wing kit at Fox Valley Honda today: $302.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I have had a couple of the round rockers fail for the heated grips, seems like water will get in there and create some gunk on the lower side of the switch contact, which is the high heat side. I have since taken the switch apart and filled it with dielectric grease. Mine is mounted right below the left fairing pocked so it is out in the elements. :biker:
This is the same experience and solution I've come up with. I'd sure like to find a nice weatherproof DPST rocker that would fit into the same 13/16" or slightly larger opening. A toggle with the rubber boot on it would solve the problem but it wouldn't look as slick and it won't fit into the too-large hole I've already made in the panel.

dr1954

Rick
Bike
=6= F800gs
Just for another option I choose to use these. They are marine switches and supposed to be waterproof. Got them at Genuinedealz ebay store for less than $10. This one is two position and I use it for the symtec grip heaters. Have two more on the other side for lights. They must be waterproof because they made it to moonshine and back and still work!

Attachments

Symtec's wiring diagram on the back of the package is reversed, low is high and vise-versa. Google for results, they are aware but have not changed the diagram.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Another advantage of the HotGrips over the Symtec on the ST is the larger diameter grip and the HotGrips are a little longer than the stock grip. And easier to put on in my opinion. Getting the stock grip to slide over the Symtec can be tricky.
I don't quite follow this reasoning since you can put any grip you want over the Symtecs. I agree about the OEMs being too small and hard. Using a little isopropyl alcohol, or the time-honored Aquanet hair spray method, slipping the grips over the heaters couldn't have been any easier. On the left side, besides the heater itself, I fitted a length of 1" heat shrink tubing as an insulator between the heater foil and the metal bar. In spite of that additional thickness, it was absolutely no problem place the grip on.

+1 on the BMW grips.

idahorider

IdahoFalls Rider
Bike
ST1300
My Symtec kit with rocker switch just arrived. Can you tell me how you took it apart without breaking it? I would like to put a little dielectric grease on the contacts.

OP
OP
Mean
STOC #
I actually never completed the install. I will probably get back to it when it starts getting colder again. Lame excuse but that is all I have.

G

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If not already mentioned in the thread, you can get rubber boots that screw on over toggle to weather proof them. Try a marine store.

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Symtec's wiring diagram on the back of the package is reversed, low is high and vise-versa. Google for results, they are aware but have not changed the diagram.
Actually, that's not true. I just installed a set yesterday on the DL650. You plug in the low power wires to the tangs on the high side of the switch, and vice versa just the way the instructions show.

Think about how a switch works and you'll get it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom