Harley Racing... how long ago?

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I was riding home tonight, and a guy on a custom chopper pulled up alongside me. He was wearing an orange/black Harley Davidson? leather jacket that said "Harley Davidson? Racing" on the back of it.

Which got me wondering...

I know there are plenty of motorcycle racing fans, and even plenty of motorcycle history buffs around here. When was the last time Harley Davidson? actually made a motorcycle that competed in a sanctioned race? I know they did at one point. :shrug2:

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
I believe they are very competitive in racing to this day. Drag racing, circle track etc. Sturgis is held yearly as a racing event. I live near a drag strip where the Mile High Nationals are held, Harleys Screaming Eagle division is one of the top dogs. They dominate in the one mile dirt oval tracks.

NHRA Pro Stock Bike Champions / Drag Racing

I think Kenny Coolbeth also had the #1 plate in one of the flat track divisions

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
Our shop at work just placed first in our division at the All Harley drags beating V-Rod Destroyers on a 1938 knucklehead.

I find the history of Harley racing amazing starting with the original murder-cycles.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Aha! I knew there was something to it.

Murdercycles? Educate me...

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Anywhere they have to go fast, brake, and turn both directions they haven't been competitive for 30 years.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
In 1920 Harley Davidson introduced the 20-J. This bike was configured to race on a wooden oval banked track.

Things you need to know:

The 20-J had no throttle - it ran wide open all the time
The 20-J had a magneto so there was a button on the right grip to kill the engine in the turns - thus allowing the rider to slow down ... a little
The rider had to hand pump the oil to the top of the heads - left hand
The oil waste gate dumped to the track directly - no sump
The track would deteriorate during the race
Leather helmets

So here you are riding a 1,000cc (in 1921 HD introduced the 1,200cc version) racing bike going full tilt, pumping with your left hand, managing your speed with your right hand and the guy in front of you is dumping his oil on your path ... not to mention the track is loading with oil during the entire race. On top of all this the track boards are coming loose and nails are appearing on the track.

Don't want to get passed, dump your oil and kill your competitor.

That is the definition of the Murder-Cycle.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I can't remember the year, late 90s I think, at the track formally known as Sears Point I was there to see their only podium finish in the AMA super bike race, third place.

OP
OP
EASt

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
In 1920 Harley Davidson introduced the 20-J. This bike was configured to race on a wooden oval banked track.

Things you need to know:

The 20-J had no throttle - it ran wide open all the time
The 20-J had a magneto so there was a button on the right grip to kill the engine in the turns - thus allowing the rider to slow down ... a little
The rider had to hand pump the oil to the top of the heads - left hand
The oil waste gate dumped to the track directly - no sump
The track would deteriorate during the race
Leather helmets

So here you are riding a 1,000cc (in 1921 HD introduced the 1,200cc version) racing bike going full tilt, pumping with your left hand, managing your speed with your right hand and the guy in front of you is dumping his oil on your path ... not to mention the track is loading with oil during the entire race. On top of all this the track boards are coming loose and nails are appearing on the track.

Don't want to get passed, dump your oil and kill your competitor.

That is the definition of the Murder-Cycle.
I see body parts all over the place!! :eek:

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Harleys have dominated the AMA grand national circuit since 75 except for Ricky Graham (2 years) and Bubba Shobert(3 years) who rode HONDAs. Both riders had their careers cut short.
Rob

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Quote by EASt
I know there are plenty of motorcycle racing fans, and even plenty of motorcycle history buffs around here. When was the last time Harley Davidson? actually made a motorcycle that competed in a sanctioned race? I know they did at one point.
Presumably Sunday. You know as in "On Any Sunday":)

I'm not so sure that HD is "officially" involved in the Drag Racing. Vance and Hines are the big Dogs of V-twin racing. HD does make a "Screaming Eagle" model that is not street legal, ready for the track...

But the Sporters turn left every Sunday, someplace. HD does have a factory team in the AMA ranks.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Harleys have dominated the AMA grand national circuit since 75 except for Ricky Graham (2 years) and Bubba Shobert(3 years) who rode HONDAs. Both riders had their careers cut short.
Rob
That sounds great except Honda pulled out of GN about the time GN dropped road and TT courses and became flat track only in the mid 70's. GN racing is almost always HD racing HD for 30+ years. Doesn't the GN rules pretty much rule out any "modern" OHC engine?

Bike
ST 1300
I dont know about sanctioned racing but recently I saw a guy on I thnk a 1200 sportster do a wheelie for about 100 yards...although I'm not a harley person I was impressed. :bow1:

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
That sounds great except Honda pulled out of GN about the time GN dropped road and TT courses and became flat track only in the mid 70's. GN racing is almost always HD racing HD for 30+ years. Doesn't the GN rules pretty much rule out any "modern" OHC engine?
Harleys and a lot of old British twins and even some rotax engined European bikes compete in flat track here and Europe. I don't really want to ride a bike wihtout brakes.

:bow1: Hello to everyone not trying to get a war started about harleys I think harleys are the best sounding bikes on the road i dont own one my old st1100 is okie dokie to me.About drag racing and all the years harley has won pro stock bike. Someone need to look at the rules on the bikes suzuki has about 100 cu in motors while on the other hand harley has 160 cu in motors harleys weight is a little more like 20 lbs i think. To me thats like taking a dump truck runing it against a VOLKSWAGON nothing on the harley engine (well maybe some of the bolts ) we can buy so whats so fair about harley doing so good at the drag strip?? Everyone have a great day and do be careful out there:bow1:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
If i recall isn't there an body called AHDRA (All Harley Drag RAcaing Assoc.) Of course they do well they only race each other.

Top Bottom