Harley Riders.....Do They Wave at You??

Bike
'12 GL1800
STOC #
Just for kicks, this week I tried to wave @ every motorcycle I met. Funny thing...less than 1 in 10 Harley riders acknowledged they were meeting a fellow motorcyclist. Maybe their bikes handle so poorly that they require both hands on the bars @ all times....LOL!!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I find it hard to tell a Harley from a metric cruiser when passing at highway speeds.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Actually its much easier to ride hands free on a Harley, with the rack and trail being designed for highway cruising. The ones that dont wave are the 1% ers and the noobies.
When Im on my ST and the wife on her Harley, these folks have brain cramps trying to decide if they should wave..There are good folks on every brand. I do notice more folks are willing to stop and talk when Im on my Harley then when Im on my ST at gas stops.
Most cage drivers can relate to traveling on a HD I guess, most have never ridden a bike.

Mark, my thoughts exactly...

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
I think its a regional thing.....where I live in Eastern Ky...almost no H/D riders wave (or wear helmets).... when I travel ..... I find most H/D riders wave.

You might be right, patiodadio. I live in north central Kentucky, and they don't seem to wave much around here, either. Or wear helmets.

I don't wave at other bikers unless they wave first. That's my new rule.

I noticed the same thing when I visited KY a couple years ago, and I was riding my Magna with 'pipes' then.

Bike
'04 ST1300A
Seems to me that the HD riders with no helmets are the least likely to wave at me. I don't bother waving at anybody without a helmet anymore...

Bike
R1200RT
I wish they didnt wave here in Colorado - 90% of bikes are Harleys and 90% of them wave. Gets old.

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
You know what PhotoBone.....that's true .... no helmet no wave.....hum.....I wave at everyone and sometimes feel like a dufus when they ingnore me.

You know what PhotoBone.....that's true .... no helmet no wave.....hum.....I wave at everyone and sometimes feel like a dufus when they ingnore me.
I always wave first, and give them plenty of time to return it. If I know they've seen the wave, and still don't wave back, I quickly change my hand to let them know I think they're #1. :D

I wave at everyone...I would say it runs about even who does and doesn't. I would say, being a Harley guy as well, that Harleys and cruisers usually initiate the wave. On the ST, I get a lot of waves from the rice rocket crowd (as they scream by me on the rear wheel).

who cares! I get tired of waving anyhow..I think the waving thing is outdated,there's too many bikes on the road nowadays.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I wave at everyone on two wheels and most wave back at me, even the Harley riders. I get people that don't wave maybe 5% of the time while I'm riding, and I'd have to say about 90% of the non-wavers are riding Harleys, but I figure maybe they just didn't see me because their eyes are vibrating around in their heads too much.

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
I am in NC, and most Harley riders do not wave. I got tired of waving and not getting a return wave, so I have stopped waving at Harley riders unless they wave first. NC is a helmet state, but now that I think about it, it does seem that the riders wearing the little beanie helmets are the ones that do not wave. The ones wearing the real hemets (the ones that protect your head) do seem to wave, even if on a Harley. I think I may make the conclusion that the ones that don't wave are the guys who are too worried about looking cool than riding. These guys could be on any bike, they just choose to ride Harleys cause they are more expensive, thus cooler.

Top Bottom