Harley sport tourer

Bike
v-rod
STOC #
My attempt at building a H-D powered ST, fairing is complete but I still need to order a bag set-up from Corbin. This bike is low and light enough that my wife who is 5ft 1in and under 100 lbs can handle it with ease. Also with 1130 cc and 120hp this bike runs as well as my Honda st without any heat issues. This isn't going to replace my Honda just a project I've wanted for a long time. The last pic is the the bike before any work being done.

Attachments

Bike
Goldwing
Very neat looking. I don't know much about that model (less perhaps that a few other HD models). One of the reasons I once looked at the Road Glide, was the frame mounted fairing (and radio), and matching hard bags. Let us know how it all works out.:)

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Wow! Very nicely done. Did you do all of the fabrication? How does the bike handle at freeway speeds with the new fairing?? Must have scored some major points with your better half over that one!

John

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Looks cool.
How did you manage to get 120 hp out of a 1130 cc HD engine? That is as much as the ST1300. AND without heat? Dang.

Last edited:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hey, nice job! That's what H-D should be doing on their own. I'd go for the mid-mounted foot pegs on a Street Rod, but otherwise that would be a Harley I'd enjoy riding.

Bike
06 ST 1300
STOC #
Joe,
You've got my attention. Can you give us the breakdown on the whole process?
What all was done to the V rod? That's a Street Glide fairing right?
BTW that's a pretty cool looking ride.
Keep posting those pics ( I'm A visual learner ).
Dave

OP
OP
josephthreedogs
Bike
v-rod
STOC #
Wow! Very nicely done. Did you do all of the fabrication? How does the bike handle at freeway speeds with the new fairing?? Must have scored some major points with your better half over that one!

John
A lot of modifications to the mounting brackets but no real fabrication work. Cycle-Visions from San Diego calif. makes the mounting hardware to mount a Road Glide fairing on a V-Rod. It just didn't fit real good. Even with all the fitting work it only took two days to mount the fairing, and two weeks waiting for a color matched skin from H-D.
I only have a short time on the road with set-up but haven't noticed any handling problems at speeds up to 75mph, I hope to try it at higher speeds this afternoon after work. The wife loves it, as I built it mainly for her so she would have a ST bike to ride with me when I am out on the ST1300.
The V-Rod engine makes lots of horsepower and top speed is only limited by gear ratio. With the present gearing it is capable of a top speed of 142mph in fifth gear against the rev-limiter(9100rpm) with an optional trans sprocket that is two teeth larger it will do 156. Also there are tons of after market speed goodies available for the V-Rod with engine kits as large 1550cc and turbo chargers and blowers kits.

Bike
2007 ST1300
How does it corner? I would think that it would start dragging hard bits realitively early to really be a SPORT-tourer -- More of a DRAG-tourer - isn't it?

Don't get me wrong - I think its cool. Very nice work.

OP
OP
josephthreedogs
Bike
v-rod
STOC #
Joe,
You've got my attention. Can you give us the breakdown on the whole process?
What all was done to the V rod? That's a Street Glide fairing right?
BTW that's a pretty cool looking ride.
Keep posting those pics ( I'm A visual learner ).
Dave[/QUO
The fairing is off a Road Glide. This V-Rod is still stock but changes are on the way. The install is basicly just a nuts and bolts conversion. A factory Road Glide parts book is helpfull to see how the parts go together, and a basic wiring skills is needed to wire the fairing mounted instruments and radio, although I don't do radios on motorcycles so I converted the radio hole to additional storage. I will take more pictures later today.
P.S.
This is not a cheap undertaking as all of the parts except for mounting brackets are only available for Harley.

Last edited:
OP
OP
josephthreedogs
Bike
v-rod
STOC #
How does it corner? I would think that it would start dragging hard bits realitively early to really be a SPORT-tourer -- More of a DRAG-tourer - isn't it?

Don't get me wrong - I think its cool. Very nice work.
It leans as far as this old man can lean, I think it has a lean angle of 38degrees before anything hits.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Initially, the V-Rod motor was assembled in KC by Porsche techs using American cases and German internal parts. Don't know if that's still true.

Harley should put that motor into a broader range of products, my opinion,

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
When I saw the title I thought :scared2:

Then I looked at the photos and saw it was the V-Rod engine. I have always thought HD was missing a bet by not building an ST using that great engine.

I like the project very much, but am wondering about the seat. Doesn't look comfortable with that kick-up in the back. I think a comfortable solo seat would be better.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Harley should put that motor into a broader range of products, my opinion,
They might be afraid to alienate the hardcore fans. The V-Rod is not considered a "true" HD by many of the HD owners (I don't think the HD riders care one way or another).

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Very nice! Having ridden a stock V-Rod, I know the pleasure of its power delivery. But does the stylish fairing improve its turning radius as well as air flow?

Styles

Top Bottom