Symtec

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I recently notice that my Symtec hand warmers don't seem to be working. I have not dug into the problem yet as its really not could enough for them yet. But I had heard of others where the round rocket switch went bad because they are not waterproof. So I got on Symtec's website and ordered two extra rocket switches so I would have them if needed (cause if you have riden with me, you know I always find rain). Well two of them were $9.50 which was not to unreasonable and then a $4.50 shipping cost. I thought that was actually reasonable to for just the fact they have to pack in and send it out. Well I got the switches in the mail Saturday. And then yesterday I got a letter from Symtec with a $4.00 check in it. The letter said the items were small and they could send them US mail instead of UPS so they sent me a check to credit me back some of the shipping. I had never even thought anything about the shipping method and was pleased with the transaction, but it tells me a lot about the company if they go through the trouble of printing a $4.00 check and sending a letter to show you they are not cheating anyone. Always been happy with their product and will continue to reccommend them to anyone that ask.

The letter also said if I need to place another small order to give them a call when ordering and they will adjust the shipping cost at the time of ordering.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Check your wires first. Mine stopped working last fall.... and it was a ground wire problem, not the switch.
Ok...in the next two weeks sometime I have to do the 40K service and have the valves checked. So I plan on working on the grips when I have the plastic off, I wanted to have the switch just incase I needed it and had the bike apart.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Where did you guys hook the power for the grips? On my '03 they were hooked into the low beam. Worked great unless it was cold and dark and you needed your high beams :nuts1:.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Aux fuse panel. (grips, fog lights, sat radio, GPS, powerlets)
yeah, didn't have one on my '03 but I do now... just need to get the grips and put them on.. not necessary just yet but it's just around the corner.

STOC #
on my '03 I ran a wire right from the battery then used power to the little bulb right above the headlight to power a relay, which would then send the power on through, through a fuse, and to the rocker switch. That way as long the headlights are on (high or low) the grips have power.

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
Where did you guys hook the power for the grips? On my '03 they were hooked into the low beam. Worked great unless it was cold and dark and you needed your high beams :nuts1:.
Switched power fuse block for me. Another thing I do with the symtecs when installing is to glue on a layer of heatshrink to the left handle since the metal absorbs more heat than the plastic on the right throttle side. This is especially so on aluminum bars. I find the left side then stays warmer or as warm as the right side.

JDP

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Landon, its most likley the switch, I had to replace a couple until I did this. I took the switch apart, not hard and found rust inside from the water. I cleaned everything up and loaded the inside with dielectric grease, havent had a problem since. The problem is water collects in one part of the switch mostly effecting the high setting, that is if you installed it right below the pocket where the hondaline switch goes. :biker:

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Landon, its most likley the switch, I had to replace a couple until I did this. I took the switch apart, not hard and found rust inside from the water. I cleaned everything up and loaded the inside with dielectric grease, havent had a problem since. The problem is water collects in one part of the switch mostly effecting the high setting, that is if you installed it right below the pocket where the hondaline switch goes. :biker:
Thats where I installed. I have been in some downpours this year. I think the switch is toast but will find out. Maybe I should take the new switch apart and pack it with dielectric grease also...have a can of it at home already. Guess it could not hurt.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thats where I installed. I have been in some downpours this year. I think the switch is toast but will find out. Maybe I should take the new switch apart and pack it with dielectric grease also...have a can of it at home already. Guess it could not hurt.
Are the plastic round type switches better? I see there are both options when you look for these.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Are the plastic round type switches better? I see there are both options when you look for these.
I don't know if mechanically they are better or not. But the round rocker gives you a cleaner install and looks better IMHO.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
On my 1100, I have the grip heater switch installed inside the left pocket away from rain.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Mine are hooked up to the switched part of the acc. harness on the left side.

I usually squirt some contact cleaner in the switch after a good rainy trip, then work the switch some. Have had the Symtec's (w/round switch) since 2005. Still works good.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Why not just power them off the AUX harness? This is what I did with my symtecs. I believe the Honda heated grips are intended to be powered from the aux harness.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Why not just power them off the AUX harness? This is what I did with my symtecs. I believe the Honda heated grips are intended to be powered from the aux harness.
That would work, but I already have the Aux. fuse box I installed. So I just ran them there.

OP
OP
Landon
Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I found the problem (see attached picture).

I opened one of the new one up and filled it with dielectric grease, after a few clicks back an forth the new swich would not stay on High or Low and would alway go back to the off postion. So I got my extra one I ordered and just installed it without and grease. I guess I better order a couple more switches as I will probably have to replace them at least once or twice a year. Or order a honda switch...

Attachments

I had my switch fail too - lost the Hi setting - Lo still worked. I ordered 3 from Casporttouring for $12.40 delivered. Theory was 1 replacement, 1 spare and 1 in case either of the other 2 were DOA. I should have kept the old one and cracked it open to see what caused the failure. I'll do that next time.

if your going to the trouble of diisassembling the switch, then you might as well drill a "drain hole" in it b4 loading it up with dielecric-grease

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Top Bottom