Gerbing G3 Gloves - what do I need....

RCS

I've read many of the terrific comments on the Gerbing G3 gloves for riding in temps between 30 and 40 degrees. I'm sold. Now, what additional items do I need to purchase to use them on my 2004 ST1300A?

(I don't have any power outlets on my bike right now, it is completely stock)

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
You can wire up the controller with just what is supplied, if I remember correctly. The cable has a fuse installed in it. Just hook to the battery connections and you are good to go, at least for only the gloves. If you go for a dual controller, you can also run a vest or heated socks.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

You can wire up the controller with just what is supplied, if I remember correctly. The cable has a fuse installed in it. Just hook to the battery connections and you are good to go, at least for only the gloves. If you go for a dual controller, you can also run a vest or heated socks.
Connecting the glove power directly to the battery seems like a temporary solution. Shouldn't I have to run some kind of power cord to the right fairing pocket or something like that?

I don't need the electric vest as I have some great motoport gear and liners plus a special vest from Assos(bicycling stuff).

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I have the dual controller on my jacket and currently only run the gloves. The extra is for the future use of SWAMBO.

I have it wired directly to the battery, with the cord protruding out from under the seat. I do have a fuse and relay box for other things.

If you want you can get a powerlet and put that in any of several places, including near the storage boxes in the fairing. You will also need to put the matching powerlet connector on your cord.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Something like a powerlet socket may be a convenience, but it's not really necessary. I've seen quite a few that just hook the battery pigtail up to the battery, with the socket end of it coming out near the front edge of the seat. Then you plug the rider part of the harness there.

What you DO need, however, is a variable heat-troller. The one from warm-n-safe is much better made than the one Gerbing sells. At full power, the gloves will get too hot to wear.

STOC #
I think the gloves come with the wire to run in your jacket like the socks. Its been awhile and I normally just plug my gloves into the jacket. You can just wire them to the battery using the harness that comes with the set up. You may need a heat troller of some sorts if you find them too hot. Also look into the Symtec Grip Heaters.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Get the heat troller, they will indeed be too hot for temps above 30. I usually run mine at 20 to 30 %. Even down closer to zero full heat gets a little warm at times. The direct hook up to the battery is a great way to go. +1 on considering the grips as well. They are good down to the 30s with a medium weight set of gloves. Plus they are always there with the flick of a switch. You cant forget them at home...

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Not for the gloves. I have to disagree here...the gloves, at the temps Robert is going to be using them in, will not get hot. In the 40's they will feel warm and in the 20 - 30's they'll keep hands from freezing. A on/off switch will be sufficent. This has been my experence with the G3's...not sure on the heavier Gerbing gloves.

Now the jacket liner is another story.
I purchased the Gerbing G3's today and I'll be on the hunt for a used temp controller. I believe I will need it for what I'm doing. Previously, I've tested, reviewed electric heating equipment for another manufacturer and realized that electric control is very important. I'll be doing a 1,300 mile/20 hour total rt monthly commute in temps down to 30 degrees - in the morning/mountains - and since it is mostly on slab, with many miles between exits, I will need the ability to adjust the temp/heat.

Thanks for all the input...

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Well, I can only speak from my experience. With temps in the 30s (F) I can't keep my Gerbings turned all the way up for more than a couple of minutes. Unless Robert ALWAYS rides in temps down in the 20s, I still think a controller will be needed.

Top Bottom