Dual Star Heated Grips and Honda Controller

Glad to see Honda's Controller is as hard to see as their instrument display. Consistent at least :rolleyes:

OK, stock heated grips were too hard so I went to the DS elements to use BMW grips. I'm still using the Honda controller, but the grips are luke warm at best even on high (I'll add the originals worked quite well, heat-wise). Anyway, from the controller 2 interchangeable leads go to each grip. From the grip I've connected red (high) to one controller lead and white (hot) to the other controller lead on each grip. Does someone have the correct wiring scheme here? I'm hoping I don't have to re-wire the Honda controller/harness. Perhaps I just need to buy a Heat-Troller instead, but I do like the looks & safety features of the Honda controller.

TIA

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Hmm. I have Symtec and no controller but here's something to try.
The Symtech have 2 elements high and low via 3 wires. If you use a heat controller it's wired to the high power (lower resistance) side.

So if you have 3 wires from each heater check that you are wired to the high power element. The other is to put the controller on max power and check that you have 100% duty cycle or full voltage on the output.

OP
OP
TahoeBound
Thanks Carl.

The DSs do have 3 wires, but most folks eliminate one (the blue, which DS says is low). When I measured voltage coming out of the controller (where the grip wires connect), I thought both registered about the same. Are you saying one should actually be used for the "high" DS wire?

Thanks.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I don't know how your controller is. Does it have three wire going to the 3 wires on the grips or 2 wires going to the common and high power wire on the grips?

I would imagine the controller is a pusle width modulation gizmo which varies the one time per cycle.
So you would always get 12v volts when on it just changes the % of time that it is one.
Caveat, if the cycle is fast it may appear to be less voltage when measured.

You could try just hooking the grips high wire and common up to 12 volt supply with no controller and see how how they get.
That would be what you should get with the controller set to high if it is functioning properly and wire to the grips correctly.

Top Bottom