Heated Grip failure

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
I just returned from a few days on my bike and realised tonight (because its getting really cold here now) that one of my heated grips has packed up.

I have disconnected both at the handlebars and tried the grips on the opposite sides so have ruled out the wiring so the grip its self is the problem.

Has anyone any ideas where to source one grip as I am reluctant to part with $$$??? to buy a new set.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Are they the Honda heated grips? Which side went out? A common problem we saw at my last dealership was with the wires where they come out of the grips. The wires need to have a lot of slack, especially the throttle side. Otherwise, when you rotate the throttle it pulls on the wire and ends up breaking the wire internally.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I just returned from a few days on my bike and realised tonight (because its getting really cold here now) that one of my heated grips has packed up.

I have disconnected both at the handlebars and tried the grips on the opposite sides so have ruled out the wiring so the grip its self is the problem.

Has anyone any ideas where to source one grip as I am reluctant to part with $$ to buy a new set.
Are they the Honda grips?

The dealer did a poor job installing my Honda grips and had to replace one of them: He had to buy a complete set!

OP
OP
Critters

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, they are honda grips but it was the left (non throttle side) that has packed up. I have thought for ages that this one was not as warm as the other, there are no wires visible on the side of the grip.

According to the previous owner who provided me with a complete list of the parts that he had fitted they were installed by the dealer when the bike was supplied to him new.

I suppose I cannot grumble as thats over 5 years they have been fitted and due to the weather over here they are required from about this time of year onwards so I have had regular use from them.

I am just going to replace both at the same time from David silver Spares, I ordered them last night so I will have a spare.

Thanks for all the responses, this site is yet again a great help.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Honda grips the least reliable grips available :(

My cousin's Honda dealer (Oregon) was able to order a single grip so it should be possible.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Hi Ray, Do you use these? Is that actually the name of the product? Can it be found in Canada?
I got mine from Lockitt, http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm because the price was right. More info at HotGrips.com. Install with high temp RTV gasket maker (CanTire). The design deters heat transfer to the bars, and they just seem to be a very well thought out well-made product. Comfortable grip too, a bit larger diameter if you accidentally install the ones for 1" bars (they sent me the wrong ones and I installed them anyway, worked great. Just wrap bars with golf grip tape and use enough RTV, leave to cure overnight). Hooked up to a Heat-troller, can't be beat.

Bike
ST1300
I got mine from Lockitt, http://www.lockitt.com/AccessoriesGrips3.htm because the price was right. More info at HotGrips.com. Install with high temp RTV gasket maker (CanTire). The design deters heat transfer to the bars, and they just seem to be a very well thought out well-made product. Comfortable grip too, a bit larger diameter if you accidentally install the ones for 1" bars (they sent me the wrong ones and I installed them anyway, worked great. Just wrap bars with golf grip tape and use enough RTV, leave to cure overnight). Hooked up to a Heat-troller, can't be beat.

Thank You Sir!

Bike
ST1300
Small detail, if you get the heated grips as part of the package when you buy a new ST1300 they are included in the bike warranty (3 years in Canada, extendable), if not they have a much shorter accessory warranty (6 mos. in Canada)

I had my right replaced under warranty after 2 years.

Top Bottom