Harley XR1200 ad and test in Bike mag October issue

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Whoa, this isn't your usual domestic Harley ad. It highlights Showa suspension, Dunlop tires, and Nissin brakes on the new export-only XR 1200. These would not appeal to HD's target market in the USA but it is an interesting twist to the domestic image that HD has carefully cultivated here. They also have a 4 bike comparo with the XR 1200 included. It didn't come off too well on a number of counts. Apparently you can't put lipstick on a Hog.

Bike
06 St1300
Euro model only, made here to ship there...Smart i tell yah, makes mucho sense doesnt it?.. See the harleys aren't selling like they were here. Last i read their sales were down 18% in the USA but up 28% in Euroland. Yet this new bike would be something i would BUY, as i think most sport type riders would. It has the speed triple appeal to it IMO. Yet most of harleys line has no appeal to me at all except the one i cannot buy. I think some look nice and sporty till i sit on one while its a running. All that Blappity Blap Blap crap annoys me to no end. I rode one of the sportsters an just didnt see spending 12k for a fat slug that handles worse than a scooter. Then spending another 5k to make it run worth a hoot.. Seems to me harley wants to move forward but fears backlash from the "Faithfull". Meh ill stick with my Honda's and Kawasaki's. At least they offer something i like every few years without killing my bank account.. Each to thier own i suppose..

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Euro model only, made here to ship there...Smart i tell yah, makes mucho sense doesnt it?.. See the harleys aren't selling like they were here. Last i read their sales were down 18% in the USA but up 28% in Euroland. Yet this new bike would be something i would BUY, as i think most sport type riders would. It has the speed triple appeal to it IMO. Yet most of harleys line has no appeal to me at all except the one i cannot buy. I think some look nice and sporty till i sit on one while its a running. All that Blappity Blap Blap crap annoys me to no end. I rode one of the sportsters an just didnt see spending 12k for a fat slug that handles worse than a scooter. Then spending another 5k to make it run worth a hoot.. Seems to me harley wants to move forward but fears backlash from the "Faithfull". Meh ill stick with my Honda's and Kawasaki's. At least they offer something i like every few years without killing my bank account.. Each to thier own i suppose..
That's just it. The XR 1200 isn't far enough removed from the low powered and ill handling Harley's that appeal to the core faithful. It isn't sport enough to attract the new buyer that HD increasingly needs as it's core buyers age and it isn't Harley enough to sell to that aging group either. Is it another V-Rod?

Bike
06 St1300
That's just it. The XR 1200 isn't far enough removed from the low powered and ill handling Harley's that appeal to the core faithful. It isn't sport enough to attract the new buyer that HD increasingly needs as it's core buyers age and it isn't Harley enough to sell to that aging group either. Is it another V-Rod?
What harley doesnt get is the "Faithfull" will buy rehashed over priced bikes from here on out. The thing they don't see is how small that market truely is. Why go to Europe if things here are so peachy? Why not offer the XR1200 as a special order only and go from there? HD is a proud company that has built some great looking bikes and a reputation. Thing is a bike like the XR1200 would sell here if priced reasonable..I love the bike its has a whole retro honda/HD 70's retro look to it..If harley doesn't want another bailout they need to re-invent themselves.

Two things that killed the V-rod...1-Its BUTT UGLY 2- It cost too much for what you get. I can't justify buying a 17k bike when suzuki offers the M-109 or Yamahas new Raider( OMG love that bike) For much much less, with better realiability?? This is from someone who doesnt even like cruisers..Im a standard/fairing sport bike kinda person. I can see me riding a XR1200 with a Half fairing ala the Ducati....Oh well I guess Triumph needs my dollars next :D

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
I like the XR1200 & I'd ride that thing. Not every bike has to be the fastest or the best handling or the cheapest. Glad I'm not a bike snob...

sbB

Top Bottom