Where to run wire for Gerbing.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I've had a Gerbing liner for years on my XX, LOVE IT! I had a 3/4 bra on the XX so running the wire up between the tank and seat between your legs was no problem.

I don't have anything to protect the tank on the ST, where can I run the wire?

I don't want to make any power connectors/holes in fairing, etc. just get the wire to my jacket without abrassions on the tank.

BTW: where's all that engine heat I dealt with a month ago? :eek:4::snow1:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The dual powerlet mount by the preload adjuster works well for me. Bolts right on no swiss cheese in the tupperware.

For some inexplicable reason the engine heat dissappears below 50? LOL. Some thermodynamic engineer in Japan starts giggling every fall.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I went to a local window tinting place and got 3M Clear Protective Film put on the back part of my gas tank. The guy sold and installed it for $10! I run my Autocom lead out between the seat and gas tank and did not want to mar the paint. Works great and you can't even see it. I was a little scared when he took out his razor blade to cut it to shape. He did this after he had installed it on the tank!

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have my Gerbing power connection (about 4-5 inches) coming out the left side of the bike at the lift handle opening. When not in use it is tucked away under the handle, available but out of sight. I use my tank bag to hold the contoller with a Velcro pad I sewn on the front panel. This wire position works good for me and I don't need to modify anything on the bike or worry about protecting any paint.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I ran the wire from the battery under the seat then out between the seats on the left side. That way the wire will not rub on any painted surfaces and no drilling is required.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I ran the pigtail up between the tank and seat, right in the middle. 2nd winter like this, and you couldnt tell it was ever there. When it isnt needed, it gets tucked back down under the seat. No muss, no fuss, no holes drilled. :D

The dual powerlet mount by the preload adjuster works well for me. Bolts right on no swiss cheese in the tupperware.
+1

Dual Powerlets let both my wife and I turn the heat on.
I run a jacket liner+gloves, she runs her jacket+pant liners.
BMW style plugs with dual controllers works great.

RCS

I have my Gerbing power connection (about 4-5 inches) coming out the left side of the bike at the lift handle opening. When not in use it is tucked away under the handle, available but out of sight. I use my tank bag to hold the contoller with a Velcro pad I sewn on the front panel. This wire position works good for me and I don't need to modify anything on the bike or worry about protecting any paint.
I thought about this. Didn't do it because I was concerned about this electrical receptacle when not connected getting sprayed by water from the back tire.

I ran my to the left side between the front seat and the frame. Not ideal but workable.

Last edited:

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I thought about this. Didn't do it because I was concerned about this connection getting sprayed by water from the back tire.
The handle pocket is isolated, as is the route to the handle. I have not had any problems with the elements for this cable.

OP
OP
Pete in PA
Bike
2006 ST1300
I ran the wire from the battery under the seat then out between the seats on the left side. That way the wire will not rub on any painted surfaces and no drilling is required.
The winner! Just did it, THANKS! When not in use you can just tuck it down between the seats.

Not many bikes out there with seperate seats to do this.

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
plus1: Whats nice about this setup is that the wire is out of your way and behind you and automatically disconnects when you get off the bike. When not in use I tuck it back under the seat.

Top Bottom