Gerbing socks...

RCS

Anyone use the Gerbing socks? If so, how thick are they, do you wire them into the glove or jacket liner controller, do they keep your feet warm?

I purchased the G3 gloves, a jacket liner, and the dual controller. Was wondering if I should also purchase the socks. I have electric footwarmers but they are run on stand alone batteries. Trying to determine if this is an upgrade - warmer and less batteries/weight to carry.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have the socks, on 2nd pair. You need to be careful putting on your boots.. it's pretty easy to mess with the wires if your boots are tight, getting your feet in them.

I've only used mine a couple times but the last time was the day after an ice storm here in the dallas area. It was in the low to upper 30s all the way to the Hill Country and they worked well.

They are terrible if you plan on doing any walking you'll want to switch them out because you can feel the wires in them.

Let me know if you're interested, I may sell mine since I don't use them much.

Mine have a long y-cord that plugs into the gerbing jacket and then splits off so you run the cord now your pant legs to the top of the socks.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

I have the socks, on 2nd pair. You need to be careful putting on your boots.. it's pretty easy to mess with the wires if your boots are tight, getting your feet in them.

I've only used mine a couple times but the last time was the day after an ice storm here in the dallas area. It was in the low to upper 30s all the way to the Hill Country and they worked well.

They are terrible if you plan on doing any walking you'll want to switch them out because you can feel the wires in them.

Let me know if you're interested, I may sell mine since I don't use them much.

Mine have a long y-cord that plugs into the gerbing jacket and then splits off so you run the cord now your pant legs to the top of the socks.
Joe:

Thanks for the reply. Here is the trick for me. My Alpinestar boots are tight fitting and for a 600 mile ride I need to wear thin wool socks. Regular white sweatsocks are too thick and make my feet hurt after 150 miles. So, are the Gerbing socks thinner, like half the thickness, of regular white sweatsocks?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No, they are basically like normal sweatsocks, maybe a little thicker w/thin wire sewn in. So, I would say you should pass - in my opinion.

If you had different boot with a little room they might work but if your boots are snug to the point you can't wear them w/sweatsocks then the warmth these provide won't matter if your fee hurt anyway.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

No, they are basically like normal sweatsocks, maybe a little thicker w/thin wire sewn in. So, I would say you should pass - in my opinion.

If you had different boot with a little room they might work but if your boots are snug to the point you can't wear them w/sweatsocks then the warmth these provide won't matter if your fee hurt anyway.
Thank you. I also read on the Gerbing website that they recommend wearing sock liners under the electric socks to prevent the electric socks from contacting the skin directly. So, that rules them out for me.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

Rob take a ride up to Branchville Motorsport on Rt 7 in Ridgefield CT

They carry a full line of Gerbings Gear next door in the Vespa store.

Actually a pretty nice assortment of riding gear.
Thanks for the reco. I'll stop by the shop the next time I'm near Ridgefield or just want to do a "longer loop" on the way home :)

I purchased all of my Gerbing gear on the Gerbing outlet website and paid only $125 for G3 Gloves, $89 for the liner, and $69 for the dual temp controller. I was going to splurge $59 full retail for the socks, but they will be too thick for me especially with a liner too. I'll stick with my hotronic electric foot warmers since they are micro thin.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you want, I'll send you mine to try out and you can just send them back if you don't like them or want new ones.

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Rob

If you come down to NJ Tech day you can try mine on. I have two pair one for my wife, she had to have electric gear when we lived in FL when it fell below 60 degrees! But I always remember a happy wife is a happy life!

Hope to see you Saturday!

Randy

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I believe Gerbing has a version of the socks without the wires in the bottom - which would be much better. I have the 'fully-wired' socks and they do a good job but they are uncomfortable walking and get so even from the pressure of your feet on the pegs for a long period of time. With a sock liner, the thickness is about the same as a real thick 'boot' sock. But the best way is to 'borrow' a pair and try them with your boots as was suggested. IIRC, I also saw a pair of heated boot 'inserts' somewhere - may have been from Kramer down in Lousiana.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
60 means I'm pullin over and diggin out the liners and it ain't for me :D

Rob

If you come down to NJ Tech day you can try mine on. I have two pair one for my wife, she had to have electric gear when we lived in FL when it fell below 60 degrees! But I always remember a happy wife is a happy life!

Hope to see you Saturday!

Randy

Bike
Silver ST
I use them. The trade off's mentioned are worth warm feet IMO. There'll soon be days when the high is in the 30's. I've already been out on a 26 degree morning this year. I don't want to worry about frostbitten toes. How long will you be out? I usually don't go for much less than 4-5 hours. I usually leave in the pre-dawn darkness and dodge deer and frost. BTW, I find that I need a seperate controller for the socks. They do get very hot when I stop and put my feet down. I think adding extra gear for the cold and ATGATT in the summer is part of the cost of the enjoyment of riding. The other end of the spectrum is shorts and sandals on a 90 degree day. Dress like an egyptian.
robert

Top Bottom