Help me decide on a heated Grip

SilverBullet

Harold Buckner
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I first thought I would do the BMW grip and the Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater, so I ordered the BMW grips and they arraived the next day via Bob's BMW.

I did not notice to much noticable differences in the feel of the grip so I started wondering....

Grips 20.00
Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater 35.00
Heat Troller 54.00
total 109.00

or

Group By on ST-Owners for OEM Heated grips with Harness $159.33

Which is better.....maybe OEM

I do not have any issues with the OEM grips but I do not know what I'm missing...I guess. However the OEM grips have torn up some new olympia gloves pretty quick...:D

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Don't mean to hijack... but link for group buy?

(I guess you can see which one I'd do)

Bike
ST1300
bought firstgear heated jacket liner and gloves and love them both, My hands do not have to be(both) on the grips to keep warm

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have BMW grips on one bike and Honda OEM grips on the other and have no preference one grip over the other but then I only ride them 10 or 20K each a year. It's kind of like one bike is white and the other red but I like both colors.

I am happy with Symtec grips on the Honda - it was the best $30 or so I ever spent on the bike. I thought at first having only two heat choices would be a bummer but by not having four choices I don't know any different. The Symtechs are under Honda OEM grips.

I took off the OEM hard as a rock, expensive Honda grips and installed the Symtec $30 with hi/lo switch with standard rubber grips $10 and could not be happier...

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I have had the Beemer grips over the Symtec elements for over two years now and love them. The Heat-troller gives you infinite temp adjustability that the OEM controller cannot give and it is less cost. You can also use any grip over the elements. I mounted the Heat-troller in the dash on the left side so it is easier to adjust without taking your eyes of the road.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I can see the need for controlling the heat on heated clothing with a heat troller but it simply isn't necessary on heated grips. Hi and Lo positions are plenty. That will save $54. Just go with the Symtec and grips of your choice.

The problems with the oem heated grips are you can't change the grips if you want and when something fails (and they do), the whole set must be replaced.

Ray

OP
OP
SilverBullet

SilverBullet

Harold Buckner
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I went ahead today and installed the BMW grips to see how comfortable they are. I'll ride a few days with the BMW grips before I decide which heat option to order.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
I took off the OEM hard as a rock, expensive Honda grips and installed the Symtec $30 with hi/lo switch with standard rubber grips $10 and could not be happier...
Same thing, but grips from HDL about $15. Lo/High switch not enough, but I have Gerbing gloves and anything over my work commute I use gloves with heat controller (got them at BMW shop).
The heated grips don't warm the outside of your hand where they get the coldest. Great for spring and fall, short trips, but anything more, the gloves are better by far.

Toasty - Dean

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have the same setup that you are contemplating with BMW grips and Symtec heaters. Except that I have the Hi / Lo switch that works great. I see no technical need for a heat troller or the added expense - save the $54.
I love my setup, it's comfortable, works well and has been very reliable.

Have you considered Dual Stars, I've had them on two Wings and this ST, happy driver!

OP
OP
SilverBullet

SilverBullet

Harold Buckner
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I saw the Duel Stars but did not know how they compare to Symtec heaters. I did not see anywhere to order them on line, just their website where I have to call and place and order. I guess that is why I just moved on to symtec since I could order both parts from http://www.casporttouring.com.

FYI to everyone.
I do have gerbings heated gloves already and needless to say they work great. I just don't like bulky gloves and I thought this may keep me from using them on my 25 min commute.

With such a good deal on the OEM that the group buy is offering I did not know which way to go.

Won't know till we try.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Thank you sir! Wasn't ready to crack into the savings account so soon... :eek::

FWIW: I have the DualStars installed currently, using a Hi/Lo switch. I want to replace them with the Hondaline, though, because the DualStars have been playing mean with my headlights (where they tap in for power). Sometimes my low-beams don't work until I shut the grips off.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If you want the best, just get the Hot Grips and a Heat-troller. It's that simple. Comfy, lots of heat, high quality design, well made, won't fail........

Top Bottom