heated grips always on?

Hi.Been getting used to the 04 st I recently purchased.It is equipped with heated grips,aftermarket I believe.There is a lo-off-hi rocker switch mounted in the left fairing panel below the locked glovebox.Maybe I am imagining this,but after riding abit,I could swear that the heat is on even in the off position.High pos.seems the same as off,and low is REALLY hot.Am I just feeling heat bleeding up through the fairing to tank crevice?Any ideas,as I have never messed with a heated accessory.Besides a few fluid changes,this appears to be the only thing to sort out ,GREAT bike.Thanx folks,tomas

First thing to check is to see if the system is wired correctly. If you know how to use a multi-meter or voltmeter, take the switch loose and take voltage readings at the switch.

You should have 12 Volts D.C. coming to the switch from some source.
You should have 0 Volts D.C. when the switch is off
You should have some voltage less than 12 Volts in the low position
You should have full voltage (12.xx) when the switch is set to high position.

Any variance from this means that your system is wired incorretly. If you don't have experience on how to check this, find someone that does.
12 Volt D.C. stuff is pretty simple, but if you don't know what you are doing, enlist someone's help

OP
OP
Hi,and yes I can handle that.Wondering if this switch can fail in the closed position,always allowing voltage through?Also,the business side of the switch is inside the fairing,not in the glovebox as I thought it might be.Does this switch pop out from the top,or am I removing plastic to deal with this?Regards,tomas

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I suppose it's possible the switch could be making contact in the off position. I would expect it to not feel right switching between positions if that were the case.

The switch is intended to be pushed into place and not be pulled out without squeezing the tabs on the back side. You might be able to pull it out without pulling plastic and squeezing the tabs.

Ray

The round three position switched I have seen will pop out using a thin blade or screwdriver.
I would think that it would not fail with heat on, but anything is possible.
If you can pop it out, it is a quick check to see if you have voltage always on across either of the outside terminals.
Mine has failed for no heat for the hi heat setting, even after dis-assembling the switch and cleaning the contacts.
I have looked at some industrial catalogs, and have yet to find a waterproof switch for this application.

deanrd

06 ST1300a
Bike
06 ST1300a
The round three position switched I have seen will pop out using a thin blade or screwdriver.
If you can pop it out, it is a quick check to see if you have voltage always on across either of the outside terminals.
Mine has failed for no heat for the hi heat setting, even after dis-assembling the switch and cleaning the contacts.
I have looked at some industrial catalogs, and have yet to find a waterproof switch for this application.
I had to remove mine twice after service, cuz they didn't disconnect it right. Both times the wires were pulled out, from them removing the fairing. It could very well be wired wrong. Mine is power to the center, low on one side and high on the other. The ground is on the coil screw.

Good luck - Dean

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
I had a similar problem. Try looking for marine switches. I have seen some that are lit also which would help at night.

Top Bottom