Where do I place the heat controller....

RCS

I purchased the Gerbing liner, gloves, and portable dual controller. I plan to ride in temps 20-30F so where do I place the controller so that it is in reach and out of the way?

(My initial thought is to get a piece of velcro and glue one part to the controller and the other to the left knee pad on the gas tank. Can't do belt clip cause type of outfit - Motoport air kevlar - won't make the controller easily accessible).

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I purchased the Gerbing liner, gloves, and portable dual controller. I plan to ride in temps 20-30F so where do I place the controller so that it is in reach and out of the way?

(My initial thought is to get a piece of velcro and glue one part to the controller and the other to the left knee pad on the gas tank. Can't do belt clip cause type of outfit - Motoport air kevlar - won't make the controller easily accessible).

I am dealing with the same issue. I am going to get the belt clip and strap the controler to my left leg. That way I only have one cable to hook and unhook up to the bike. The controler will stay on my person and I can then use it with mutiple bikes. Will find out how it works later this week.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I sewed velcro on my winter riding pants and put the opposite on the back of the controller. Works well on both bikes.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Here's one option: I don't like physically changing or attaching items to the bike unless it is absolutely necessary. I make it a point to use my tank bag when I ride in cold conditions that require heated gear. I have sewn a velcro patch to the front pocket and it works perfect for my Gerbing heat controller. Everything is accessible, and everything is out of the way, and nothing is present during the summer months.

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
I just zip tied my controller [widder] to the plastic carrying handle of my mini tank bag...

Put some felt on the back so it would not bump against the tank.

ThreeWheels

I'm an Engineer, not a Doctor
Bike
2010Spyder RT-S
STOC #
The widder vest has a controller that came with a velcro tie.
I carefully sewed a ring part from an old key fob into the lower left of my vest like ski jackets have for lift tickets. The velcro tie fits into it quite nicely so the controller stays on my left thigh while I ride.

Bike
91 ST1100 Black
STOC #
Interesting... no one goes with the permanent dual controller. I had it on my 99, mounted on the grey side panel (below the left pocket). Ran the wires up and out the bottom of the gas tank access door. Stuffed them in there when out of season. No extra wires anywhere.

It was easy to reach the knobs with the left hand and fun to watch the l.e.d.s blinking !

Worked great until I sold the bike :mad:

Will do it again after I upgrade the alternator on the 91.

ThreeWheels

I'm an Engineer, not a Doctor
Bike
2010Spyder RT-S
STOC #
Well, I have another reason for using the portable controller.

Motorcycle charging systems are like cars. They operate between 13.5 and 14.8 Volts DC.
Think of a very popular DC voltage in that range..........
No one gets this so I'll just tell you.

All my Dewalt cordless tools run on 14.4 V batteries. I just slip one of those in a fanny pack and Zip Zowie and Swoosh...I've got portable heat. A single battery ought to last about 45 minutes. That's enough time for me to use my snowblower and clear the driveway.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Fortunately my SO doesn't read this board so I don't have another honeydo project LOL. 60? and it's time to plug in:D

Well, I have another reason for using the portable controller.

Motorcycle charging systems are like cars. They operate between 13.5 and 14.8 Volts DC.
Think of a very popular DC voltage in that range..........
No one gets this so I'll just tell you.

All my Dewalt cordless tools run on 14.4 V batteries. I just slip one of those in a fanny pack and Zip Zowie and Swoosh...I've got portable heat. A single battery ought to last about 45 minutes. That's enough time for me to use my snowblower and clear the driveway.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the Gerbing belt clip for the dual controller and either clip it to the chest pocket of my Aerostich, jacket, or to the tankbag I might be using at the time.

Note: the wiring from the female plug to the controller is rather stiff and it can scuff the clear coat on the gas tank if it is allowed to rub against it for some time. I did it in a few hours. I lead the hot plug from the battery out under the left front of the seat so the wiring can scuff against the tank if I am not careful in how and where I clip the controller.

I have a tank bag on the ST and I had a cellphone pouch that I wasn't using, so I clipped the cellphone pouch onto the tank bag (at the top lip of the bag where the zipper is) and ran the power cord through the tank bag to the terminal strip with my 12VDC inside. The dual controller is handy and within easy reach at all times and can be removed easily if need be.

Bike
ST 1300
Anyone thought of a "home made" magnetic/velcro bean bag mount? I was thinking of making a small "bean bag" that would have a few small round magnets sewn in and a patch of velcro on the other side to hold the controller. Or perhaps it could have a little pocket that holds the controller instead of the velcro.

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
Interesting... no one goes with the permanent dual controller. I had it on my 99, mounted on the grey side panel (below the left pocket). Ran the wires up and out the bottom of the gas tank access door. Stuffed them in there when out of season. No extra wires anywhere.

It was easy to reach the knobs with the left hand and fun to watch the l.e.d.s blinking !

Worked great until I sold the bike :mad:

Will do it again after I upgrade the alternator on the 91.
Chris:

I did the same thing on my 1300. Works great. No fuss. Always available.

Marshal

Attachments

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Anyone thought of a "home made" magnetic/velcro bean bag mount? I was thinking of making a small "bean bag" that would have a few small round magnets sewn in and a patch of velcro on the other side to hold the controller. Or perhaps it could have a little pocket that holds the controller instead of the velcro.
Thanks Dan you've given me an idea for Chris's; I'm going to get a small plastic box and mount the controller inside it with a magnet.
She'll be able to stick the box with the magnet inside on the tank when she needs it and the rest of the time it will live under the seat with the power connector.

Mark

Top Bottom