Warm Toes...how do I get them that way?

STOC6366

Doug
Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #
OK, Warm-n-Safe gear safely and effectively installed, tested and proven.

Pant liner is a near future possibility, but they don't sell heated socks.

Does anyone know if the Gerbing socks work with the Warm-N-Safe gear? Sent a note to Mike, but wanted to pose the question here for everyone's edification.

Seems like my un-heated Tourmaster Cortech pants with liner (wearing only shorts under the liner) seems to keep me quite warm, but the little piggies near the grounds keep getting pretty cold.

I've a few pairs of Army cold weather boots (leather, lined Matterhorn'ish - not the micky-mouse boots) and they work fairly well but are not friendly to shifting, etc.

Comments and insight encouraged!

Bike
st1300, xr250
I rode in 36 degree this past week end. Put the balls of your feet on the pegs. It worked for me.:04biker:

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I did 2 1/2 hours in 29-34 degree temps last week and more than half was in the rain and sleet. Silk liners with a wool outer sock keep my feet nice and warm. No elecs here.

Up here you learn to stay warm in layers and it does work!!! With the right gear.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I did 2 1/2 hours in 29-34 degree temps last week and more than half was in the rain and sleet. Silk liners with a wool outer sock keep my feet nice and warm. No elecs here.

Up here you learn to stay warm in layers and it does work!!! With the right gear.
+1 on the silk (or synthetic) liner sock with wool outer sock. That is what I wear when I rent snowmobiles on vacation. Your feet and toes will probably be hot, but the liner keeps the moisture away from your skin.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Go ahead and laugh...:p:

When I was days away from a Iron Butt ride last year which we were leaving at like 2 am and the starting temp 10 days out was 45,,, and 3 days out it was 30??/ I bought the Tourmaster Heated gear and gloves...

But,,, I was worried about my toes and went and bought a pair of "Electric/Battery Powered Socks at a Gander Moutain shop... They worked perfect... 2 D size batteries,,, and the $13 pair of socks did the job!!! The Batteries would work for I am guessing about 8 hours...

Next bestest/Cheapest thing is???

Adhesive Heat packs... Stick them on the outside of your silk/coolmax socks and cover them with another thicker sock...

That has gotten me through many a Green Bay Games... :D

I carry about 20 Adhesive Heat Packs with me on the bike... They can be stuck anywhere you are cold... :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
+ 1 on layers with wool
Posted via Mobile Device
Heavy socks work _if_ yur boots are big enuff. I bought a pair of size 13 combat boots just for the cold winter rides.

Also, when I bought my Widder heated chaps I bought the longest ones. The end of the chaps goes well down into the boot, and I wrap the lowest velcro starp around my instep and pull the wool boot socks _over_ the chaps. Never a problem with cold feet.

Haven't used that technique since we moved to Arizona, but all the parts are still in my closet. :D

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Gerbing's gear is interchangeable with WarmnSafe. If your pants have connectors on the legs the Gerbing's sox will pug in.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've recently seen a set of heated insoles, looks like the snowmobile guys might be using them...... haven't seen them in person yet, but will be looking around. So far, as you guys have noted, the layered socks seem to work reasonably well.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Are your boots insulated, or just "lined"?
Leather Red Wings with Thinsulate/Gore Tex and a pair of light wool socks works for me in 25-30 deg F on the bike.
A lot lower than that when I'm hunting.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Don't rule this option out either.

http://www.vpaccessories.com/misc_.htm

I have a set and they are great for directing the cold air away from you feet.
I agree these work great. I also found wool socks, and keeping the toes inward of the cold air stream is important. Last April on my way to Moonshine it never made it above 25 for the first 400 miles or so. Feetsies stayed warm. It will take all three of the above however, the riding with your toes in is very unnatural at first. It grows on you and I felt the difference almost immediately when I pointed the toes out. The Gerbing socks work well but it is boggus sitting in the snow on the side of the road running cords and putting the dang things on. Toes are never cold when I leave the house so the socks wouldnt go on...Thats me though...

FOG

The newer Polypropylene socks are warmer and less bulky than wool, and are just as good at keeping their insulation properties when wet. Layers are always good, even for feet.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
Go ahead and laugh...:p:

When I was days away from a Iron Butt ride last year which we were leaving at like 2 am and the starting temp 10 days out was 45,,, and 3 days out it was 30??/ I bought the Tourmaster Heated gear and gloves...

But,,, I was worried about my toes and went and bought a pair of "Electric/Battery Powered Socks at a Gander Moutain shop... They worked perfect... 2 D size batteries,,, and the $13 pair of socks did the job!!! The Batteries would work for I am guessing about 8 hours...
Seems like the 2 D size batteries would cramp your feet in your boots. :crackup

Ray

CTbrit

John (a.k.a Token2)
Does anyone know if the Gerbing socks work with the Warm-N-Safe gear? Sent a note to Mike, but wanted to pose the question here for everyone's edification.
They do, I use Gerbing socks hooked with a splitter to W&S gloves (using the jacket socket - see the hook up diagram with the W&S jacket liner) on a W&S dual controller, the other controller tied to the W&S jacket liner. Purrrrfectly toasty for miles and miles.:D

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
I have gotten some socks called 35 below from a catalog that work fine. I am sure that they are some kind of wool blend. I have also seen some very thin socks in catalogs that say they hold heat in. I did buy some but have not been able to use them yet. There are at least a couple different names for them in catalogs. I am thinking of using them as a liner for the other socks if the weather gets real cold. I also have an oversize pair of boots for doing that.:03biker:

RCS

OK, Warm-n-Safe gear safely and effectively installed, tested and proven.

Pant liner is a near future possibility, but they don't sell heated socks.

Seems like my un-heated Tourmaster Cortech pants with liner (wearing only shorts under the liner) seems to keep me quite warm, but the little piggies near the grounds keep getting pretty cold.

I've a few pairs of Army cold weather boots (leather, lined Matterhorn'ish - not the micky-mouse boots) and they work fairly well but are not friendly to shifting, etc.

Comments and insight encouraged!
I used Tour Master boot covers this past Monday in 30 degree temps with snow flurries on 70mph highways for 7 straight hours. Toes stayed toasty warm. They also worked exceptionally well in driving rain.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/41/520/ITEM/Tour-Master-Deluxe-Boot-Rain-Covers.aspx

OP
OP
STOC6366

STOC6366

Doug
Bike
2009 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for all the responses! I'm sure many others found the knowledge edifying as well.

I remember using pantyhose'ish socks under my wool socks a few years (10+) back when I was a drill sergeant taking trainees to the range and that they worked very well.

Will look for some silk liners, too. Also the boot-covers seem to be a great idea in lieu of heated socks.

If I pull the trigger on heated pants, I might just go ahead with the socks as wells. My Tourmaster Cortech w/ liners work great for my legs (even @ 40 degrees with shorts on underneath) so not sure the heated pants will be worth the $$.

Once again, many thanks!

Top Bottom