Gerbing and Heat-troller Question

Bike
BMW R1200RT
I have an older garbing jacket liner with a single SAE power connection and coax output connectors for heated gloves. Power is supplied from a powerlet connector wired directly into the battery of a Honda ST1300 through a portable dual output heat-troller with SAE connectors. The jacket works fine without the heated gloves but when I plug the heated gloves to the jacket connectors the heat level is significantly reduced. I prefer to plug the gloves directly to the jacket to avoid the extra wiring. Does the dual heat-troller only offer ? of the available power through each outlet? Would a single heat-troller provide more heat?
Ron

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I use a Gerbing single controller with the jacket and gloves and I have no problems with balancing the heat between the two.

Last edited:

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I use a Warm-n-safe dual heatroller with a warm-n-safe liner and Gerbing's gloves. I have no problem getting both gloves and vest too hot for me to wear.

You mention an "older jacket liner." Does it have dual connectors to the heat-troller, or are the gloves and liner both connected to one output of the controller?

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I second the suggestion to contact Gerbing. The gloves and liner together draw over 100 watts (at least the current products do). It may be that one half of the dual can't handle that much, but I can't find any info on their web site about the capacity of the controller.

TPadden

Tom Padden
Okay, but that doesn't tell me who makes the controller. I know of some that were bad and Gerbing stopped doing business with them.
Slightly twisted.......... many years ago when there were Dragons and most heat was provided by candles, Gerbing sold "Heat-Trollers" designed and manufactured by Mike Coan to control those candle powered jackets :rolleyes:.

Mike put a lot of time and effort into his product and took pride in the fact that it was ENTIRELY designed and manufactured in the US with US products. He was the one responsible for Gerbing changing their connecters from SAE to his COAX design.

Imagine his surprise :mad:, when he found Gerbing not only was no longer marketing his controllers, but had replaced them with cheap Chinese knock-offs When he contacted Gerbing, who he had had a close business relationship with for over 3 years, he was basically told to pound sand.:p:.:rocket1:

Mike thought long and hard and decided it was more satisfying to improve the Gerbing product than to fight them for copying his - this was the birth of Warm & Safe ...........:D

Sleep well, children, Mike will keep you Warm & Safe while continuing to fight those Gerbing Dragons :cool:...........

Slightly twisted.......... many years ago when there were Dragons and most heat was provided by candles, Gerbing sold "Heat-Trollers" designed and manufactured by Mike Coan to control those candle powered jackets :rolleyes:.

Mike put a lot of time and effort into his product and took pride in the fact that it was ENTIRELY designed and manufactured in the US with US products. He was the one responsible for Gerbing changing their connecters from SAE to his COAX design.

Imagine his surprise :mad:, when he found Gerbing not only was no longer marketing his controllers, but had replaced them with cheap Chinese knock-offs When he contacted Gerbing, who he had had a close business relationship with for over 3 years, he was basically told to pound sand.:p:.:rocket1:

Mike thought long and hard and decided it was more satisfying to improve the Gerbing product than to fight them for copying his - this was the birth of Warm & Safe ...........:D

Sleep well, children, Mike will keep you Warm & Safe while continuing to fight those Gerbing Dragons :cool:...........
I'm not sure of the details of the past, hence, I made no reference. But, I can say that I had two heat-trollers go bad, one replaced under warranty and they admitted a building problem. I have had a gerbing heat controller now for a couple of years trouble free.

TPadden

Tom Padden
I'm not sure of the details of the past, hence, I made no reference. But, I can say that I had two heat-trollers go bad, one replaced under warranty and they admitted a building problem. I have had a gerbing heat controller now for a couple of years trouble free.
If it's a real "Heat-Troller" Mike will replace it no questions asked - at leat that was my experience with an old one. The old ones (SAE plug) had an internal fuze that didn't reset new ones reset when you unpplug the Troller. Newer Gerbing controllers don't have any label indicating "Heat-Troller", old ones did. The name is kind of like people calling any smart battery charger a "Battery Tender" when really only a Deltran one is.

I will say Gerbing does stand by their liner guarantee also: I had one completely rewired years after purchase when it failed ........ but I like my new Warm & Safe liner better :).

Top Bottom