Heated grips or gloves?

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Seems like gloves would provide better coverage. When would you prefer heated grips?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Gloves are better for cold weather riding. I like grips just to take the chill off.

John

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Having just installed a set of heated grips, the convenience of them always being on the bike is great. However, I was hoping to be able to utilize a thinner glove with them as I hate bulky gloves. I did a ride up into the mountains late one night to try them out. When I did, my palms were nice and toasty but the tops of my hands were cold. In this case, I would still need to use a bulkier glove. The best thing to do is to consider the type of weather you'll be riding in and your own personal comfort level. If you're just looking to take the edge off, a set of heated grips would probably be perfect for you. If you're going to be embarking out on much colder temps and are looking for an even warmth around your entire hand, then heated gloves would be the way to go. You could even look into getting both to allow you the best adaptability to the given situation. Hope this helps.

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
If you have to choose between the two I say, gloves, gloves, gloves...I love my heated grips, but man I wish I had the gloves.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you can only have one system then gloves are probably the way to go especially if you ride in really cold weather. Grips are convenient (no controller, no wiring, no stuffing wires in jacket cuffs, no forgetting the key after getting all suited up) and always there and do allow wearing lighter weight gloves in cool weather on a bike like the ST which provides some wind protection to the hands. If I am riding in the mountains with considerable temperature changes in the span of a few minutes they are the bomb. I live in Florida so cold is somewhat subjective to what you are used to. I'll utilize the heated grips with uninsulated or lightly insulated leather gloves to about 35-40 degrees then heated Gerbing G-3's below that.

STOC #
Heated Grips:
There always there, great on a cool morning or a later night.
If you keep a pair of light rain gloves on the bike the heated grip can keep you warm down into the 30's
If it's really cold then you can place a "Hand Warmer" in the back of your gloves and with the heated grips your hands will be very warm for some time.

I very Heated Grips as one of the top safety items you can put on a motorcycle. When your hands are cold you are not a safe rider.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I've used both, gotta say I like the gloves better. Except when they short out. And even then you still have the thickness of the glove working for you.

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
Heatedd grips are the best farkle I have ever had . They made a day trip that I was delayed on a couple of hours )temps can drop fast around here) liveable as I have med winter gloves I can wear on the ST down into the 30s . those dame gloves ar ecold on the spotbike though. I went out one morning and it was 50ish , afternoonn its was 70ish .worked later than I thought and it was in the low 40s on the way home , I didnt have my wither gloves but the grip warmers made if halfway nice on the trip home .
If you can do both if you ride in cold cold weather

STOC #
I like simple is better.. When I'm out of florida I bring the heated gear.. Simple plug to the fuse box and a slmple plug in of the gloves..

ymmv

mitch

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Seems like gloves would provide better coverage. When would you prefer heated grips?

Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Heated grips are great when the weather surprises you or it's that time of year when the morning is cold and the afternoon is just cool or just right..

However, if it's going to be cold all day or you're on a long tour, the heated gloves are better most of the time. But, they are usually bulkier than your middleweight or lightweight gloves.

The symtec heated elements are cheap, under $40 on most sites. So, get them and see if you even feel like you want to spend the $100-ish money on gloves.

Bike
07 ST1300A
STOC #
Depends on where and type of riding. I have a 20 mile commute, 1 way. Even down into the teens, heated grips are enough, but I do have to use my heated jacket liner below freezing which warms the core of your body and allows a little more blood to flow out to the extremities. Above freezing, I can get by with just a fleece jacket under my 1 piece suit and the grips. A longer, below freezing ride I would use heated gloves/liner with my heated jacket liner. When it gets into the low 50's or if I'm caught out and the temp drops, the heated grips allow me to get by wearing my un insulated gloves.

One plus of heated gloves over grips is that you can cover the front brake with a finger and still keep it warm. With grips, you move a finger off the grip and it will get cold very quickly. I just got a pair of heated glove liners this fall, I'll probably be using them even on my commute this winter when it drops below freezing.

So, short answer, for me it's both.

Top Bottom