My New Gerbing G3 Heated Gloves

C2Rick

STOC# 7730
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I live in the Boston area and have been looking for ways to extend my riding season. In fact, now I am inspired to keep the bike ready to ride all year 'round!

I just tried out my new Gerbing G3 heated gloves yesterday. My wife bought me them for Christmas and she gave them to me early. They were purchased at motosport.com which had the lowest prices and free 2-day delivery.

I carefully ran the battery harness underneath the seat from the battery to the left side of the bike, using tie wraps to keep the wire secure. The connector pokes through at the front of the (stock) seat where it touches the tank, over to the left a bit. This is where I attached the ON/OFF switch that was ordered in lieu of the thermostat.

The wiring that attaches the gloves to the switch are inside my jacket. I simply hold one connector in my right hand while I pull on the right sleeve and then the same for the left. I push the connector under my belt and let it dangle a few inches. The I plug that into the switch.

Finally, I plug each glove in and tuck the connectors back up each sleeve of my jacket under the glove's gauntlet. No visible or dangling wires!

Performance - The gloves heat up immediately to what seems like a nice and comfortable temperature. I took a 2-hour ride and mixed it up between slab and country roads, loving every minute of it. My hands were toasty warm the entire time. I was tempted to switch them off a few times but didn't bother. My hands were always comfortable in temperatures ranging from 30 to 35 degrees F.

When I arrived back home, I was surprised to see the backs of my hands had turned a bit red. In fact, you could see a map of the gloves' heater wiring on the backs of my hands! They weren't burned, just a bit "irritated" where the heating elements contacted the skin. On my next run, I will use some glove liners to add an extra layer between my skin and the gloves.

Quality - The gloves are made of a real nice and soft leather. They smell real nice, if you like the smell of leather. The electrical assemblies are all excellent quality and seem very durable. I highly recommend these gloves to anyone considering heated gear.

Ride safe (and warm!),:03biker:

Bike
ST1300
I opted for the firstgear and am very satisfied with mine also, these also heat up right now, at the highest setting 30 degrees is the coldest I can ride a long distance with, no mirror air deflectors, I would hate to ride with the air deflectors in real hot weather so this is how I do, got the heated jacket and cant believe how well they work
good luck and ride safe

RCS

I've got the same gloves and use them for 600 mile rides from CT to OH and back. Consider getting the thermostat from www.heatedclothingoutlet.com. The single is $39 and in stock. The dual is $49 and sometimes in stock. I'd suggest the dual because I'm sure you are going to want a jacket liner especially from this outlet store since they only cost $89!

The thermostat is invaluable because you can adjust the amount of heat so your hands don't sweat but are nice and warm. The gloves by themselves are very warm and I only needed to turn the heat up half way at temps down to 30F.

I've got the dual heat troller and the adjustments make the gloves and jacket liner usable in a larger variety of conditions. In cold, rainy weather the heated gloves are great at keeping your hands more comfortable even when wet.

STOC #
Rick,

I made the same choice as you last January after a cold 170 mile ride to the International Motorcycle Show in Atlanta... I got the adjustable thermostat as well. Love the gloves... works wonders and keeps the fingers nice and toasty... also got the heated jacket as well. Great gear and worth every penny.

Chris

OP
OP
C2Rick

C2Rick

STOC# 7730
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Do the gloves keep fingertips warm?
Yes! The heating elements run up and down each finger and thumb. My main reason for getting the gloves were my finger tips. They were really hurting after an hour on the road in cold temps. Those days are finally gone.

I highly recommend the Gerbing G3s. :bow1:

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I tried on the G3's a few weeks ago. I thought they might be a bit bulky. What did you think of their dexterity?

+1 on the thermostat. I have a single for my heater jacket liner. Adjust it and forget it.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'm also curious if anyone has compared the G3's to the WarmNSafe Ultimate Touring gloves. I'm leaning towards those for a better fit and dexterity, but would appreciate any opinions of those who have them.

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Weird,

I have the G3's and I have to basically max the glove circuit even when the jacket circuit is barely on.

I even wired directly to the battery once to see if I was loosing power somewhere and it was the same, low warm, not hot. At 32 degrees I am running the Symtech grip heaters on Hi and maxed out G3's to stay comfortable.

I do not have the faring deflectors and I do have bar risers so that may be part of the difference, my forearms and hands are "in the breeze" all the time.
good thing for me that I only have to run them about 4 days a year, and two of those are Moonshine!

Chris :06biker:

STOC #
Weird,

I have the G3's and I have to basically max the glove circuit even when the jacket circuit is barely on.

I even wired directly to the battery once to see if I was loosing power somewhere and it was the same, low warm, not hot. At 32 degrees I am running the Symtech grip heaters on Hi and maxed out G3's to stay comfortable.

I do not have the faring deflectors and I do have bar risers so that may be part of the difference, my forearms and hands are "in the breeze" all the time.
good thing for me that I only have to run them about 4 days a year, and two of those are Moonshine!

Chris :06biker:
Chris,

There is definitely something wrong with your set of G3s... I suggest returning them to Gerbings. My gloves are extremely hot at the mid-level setting and any higher and we are talking third degree burns. And that is in 22 degree weather as well. Gotta be something wrong with your gloves... I have heated grips and just leave em off when I use the gloves... no need for them.

Chris

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have the classic gerbing gloves and they are never hot unless the temps are in the 50s.. down to the lower 30s and they are comfortable and I just don't notice my hands.

STOC #
Still curious if someone can speak to the dexterity (or lack there of) with the G3's.
Dan,

My take on the G3 glove dexterity is that it is bulky and yet supple as the gloves are not stiff (except a little on the tops of the fingers, which have loosened up a bit with use)... there is a lot of material there, but the leather is butter smooth soft and the lining and wires on the insider are rather soft and unobtrusive. I can't speak to how the glove is exactly on the ST1300 controls as I have the BMW RT with it's wider spaced control switches, but I haven't had any problems with the "feel" of the glove...

OP
OP
C2Rick

C2Rick

STOC# 7730
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Still curious if someone can speak to the dexterity (or lack there of) with the G3's.
I found the gerbing G3s to be average in the bulk department. I've tried several different kinds of gloves and gauntlets. Most were more bulky than the G3s. However, I will say it can be difficult to move the directionals switch to the left while holding in the clutch on the ST1300. It takes a little more dexterity than I seem to have with the G3s on.

BTW, my ST1300 has the mirror wind deflectors installed. My stock windshield is in the lowest position that allows me to see over it. My stock seat is in the +1 position (one up from the lowest setting) in the front and forced fit into the lowest position in the back. And I have risers on the bars.

I am curious. Has anyone else had the backs of their hands turn red from the Gerbing G3s like I described at the beginning of this thread? I'm going to try some glove liners first and if that doesn't do it, I'll get the thermostat or live with the redness. It goes away in a few hours... :rolleyes:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Updating this thread. I just got the latest generation G3 gloves. I had asked Gerbings what the differences were between the ones they had on the clearance site and the regular site. They informed me the new ones have the microwire, and yes, that is what I got. The older ones have larger wire, perhaps hotter judging by some of the earlier comments. I cannot feel any wires in these new ones. They feel just like riding gloves with lining. And the lining is not loose or feel like it is coming out when you remove your hands.
When I plugged them in today, it did take a few minutes for them to warm up. I could not do a real world ride test, but I left them on for 10 minutes. I did not get the impression they would be overly hot, in fact, with the cold breeze of riding, heated grips might be a desired option. I will advise in a month or so when I get out.
These gloves are not too bulky in the fingers, but you might not get all Zumo touch screen commands. I had tried on a friends G3's before I got mine, that way, I knew what size to order. The heat was uniformlly distributed all over the back of my hand and down to the ends of my fingers. Overall, I really like them.

OP
OP
C2Rick

C2Rick

STOC# 7730
Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I was out for a quick ride yesterday after changing the oil, spark plugs and checking the tire pressure on STephanie.

It was 37 degrees F. I wore fleece-lined jeans, a RideHide shirt against my skin, 2 thin cotton shirts on top of that and then my ski jacket over all that. Of course, I had the G3s with glove liners underneath. Although it was relatively warm and my ride short (about an hour), I was warm as toast even at highway speeds. No problems whatsoever.

I do not have the thermostat but that would have made it unnecessary for me to shut the gloves off near the end of my ride. I really love these gloves! :D

Now, as long as the sreets remain clear of ice and snow and there's no salt spray to get on the bike, I'm back in business. I don't care how cold it gets! ;)It's GREAT to be back!

Top Bottom