Making the Honda heated grips more comfortable. What have you done?

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I love my Honda heated grips, but man, there's no padding in them and my palms get sore after awhile. Any ideas (short or replacing/switching to BMW grips) to make them a bit more comfortable? I'm not looking to spend lots of money to do this.

Eventually I would like to switch my 1" up/1" back risers for a 1" up/2" back set. That would help, but until then.....

STOC #
I must not ride that hard, because I have not had any issues with the stock Hondaline heated grips. BMW heated grips look like they would be very comfortable.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have heard others have wrapped tennis racquet stuff over them, providing you the ability to contour them if you like. Simulated leather might be cool. Have not tried any of this myself.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I must not ride that hard, because I have not had any issues with the stock Hondaline heated grips. BMW heated grips look like they would be very comfortable.
I DO ride hard and don't have a problem with stock Honda grips. I have BMW grips on the BMW and don't prefer one over the other.

Mine are comfortable, but then I always wear gloves. I do love those heated grips and use them when the ambient is below 50.

OP
OP
ocho nueve

ocho nueve

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
And once again, this is why I love this forum. I have never heard of grip puppies, but as of 6:45pm Pacific time, they are ordered and on their way!

YOU GUYS ROCK! :headbang:

Bike
2005 ST1300
You will LOVE the grip puppies!!! Just had to cut them a little shorter to fit the grip, using scissors. Even at the heat setting of two it works great!

Bike
2005 ST1300
Put them in soapy water, slide them on, put the heated grips on max and to dry the water out :D..

If they wear out in a few years, repeat the 8 dollar spend :)

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Okay, I've got a Minnesotan question:

If I put Grip Puppies on my OEM Hondaline SuperGrips, will the grips feel LESS hot? I don't want to lose any heat goodness for the sake of the comfy poofiness of the Grip Puppies.

Del

If I put Grip Puppies on my OEM Hondaline SuperGrips, will the grips feel LESS hot? I don't want to lose any heat goodness for the sake of the comfy poofiness of the Grip Puppies.
Yes they will. Before Gpups never, ever above 2 on heat setting. Yesterday, with puppies, between 35-39 degrees for the first 45 mins max (4) setting then gradually back to 3 then 2. Same on return trip, even though the temp was in low 40's to start, began at 4 then backed down, albeit a little quicker. By the time I got home after 150 miles, temp was 39 and setting was 2.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Yes they will. Before Gpups never, ever above 2 on heat setting. Yesterday, with puppies, between 35-39 degrees for the first 45 mins max (4) setting then gradually back to 3 then 2. Same on return trip, even though the temp was in low 40's to start, began at 4 then backed down, albeit a little quicker. By the time I got home after 150 miles, temp was 39 and setting was 2.
Good to know. Thanks!

Bike
2005 ST1300

Logically yes..But honestly not really for me, I have the heat going through the grip puppies and some pretty thick winter gloves and they still do the trick..Yes I keep them on 4..

The great thing about the GPs is 1. you out only 8 bucks if you decide to chuck 'em or 2. use them in the spring, summer, and fall..

OP
OP
ocho nueve

ocho nueve

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Got the Grip Puppies yesterday, and being Polish, I screwed up the first one

***To get a head start you may begin chuckling now***

DO NOT USE YOUR WIFE'S FOAMING HANDSOAP AS A LUBRICANT! EVEN IF THE LITTLE BATHROOM WITH SAID FOAMING HANDSOAP IS CLOSEST TO THE GARAGE!!!

Yup I used the foaming soap from the little smelly jug next to the bathroom sink. It worked for the first 4 inches, but quickly came to a halt when all of the foam (soap) pushed its way through the grip. And then, WHAALAH! No more soap. So here I am. Stuck. Half on half off. I tried wrapping a towel around the grip and twisting. That worked for about another 3/4's of an inch. Stuck again. So being the Pole I am, I grabbed the strap wrench from the tool box and began turning it with that.

The strap wrench worked for a while, but then began to tear up the grip. I finally got it on and turned the grip so I would see/feel the less damaged part of the grip. It's really not that bad, but I should have been smarter about the whole deal.

For the other grip I used a LARGE quanity of Joy dish soap and that worked perfectly.

At the end of the day, I am extremely pleased with the Grip Puppies. The extra "poofiness" is nice, but what I like the most is they make the grip larger, which I prefer.

I rode about 30 miles last night at 37 degrees. For the first time ever, I had the heated grips set at 4, but after about 20 of those miles, I was able to turn them down a few notches.

For me, the Grip Puppies are here to stay.

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Top Bottom