Bond A, Grip glue, etc.

Bike
'04 ST1300
Ok I'm going to install my heated grips. The directions say use Honda Bond A. I've done a search on this site and I don't see a definitive answer.

Is grip cement necessary? If so what is the easiest accessible replacement for Honda Bond A (in case I can't get it at one of the local dealers), and where can I get the replacement?

In the past I've just used hairspray when changing grips. You wet down the bars and slip the grips on. Then when the hairspray dries the grip stick pretty well. Learned this trick in my BMX days (80's in NE Pennsylvania... Big hair central) I've used it on a couple of motorcycles, but never on heated ones.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Try it with hairspray. If you want something more permanent, use some high temp RTV gasket sealer, which IMHO is less messy than epoxy.

Byron

STOC #
Since you talking about heated (electrical) grips make sure the RTV is electronic safe (non-corrosive) otherwise you could end up with heaters that fail pre-maturely.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Any grip glue will work. Honda just wants you to use Honda glue to make $$. Hard to use it if no one STocks it!

I also use hairspray, with the Symtec heaters and BMW grips. If you are using Honda heated grips, they are a harder rubber like Hot Grips. I would not trust the hairspray with these grips unless someone else has had luck with it.

I think the last set of Honda heated grips I put on for a friend, we used Yamaha grip glue.

Top Bottom