Honda heated grips install HELP!

Bike
2015 C-14
I bought a set of Honda Heated Grips and need a copy of the instructions or a how-to article would be great. I have the acc harness and have installed grip heaters before.

It looks like I need to cut a square hole for the controller. I guess I will go to Sears and get one of the Crafstman Square Hole Drill Bits!:rolleyes:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I bought a set of Honda Heated Grips and need a copy of the instructions or a how-to article would be great. I have the acc harness and have installed grip heaters before.

It looks like I need to cut a square hole for the controller. I guess I will go to Sears and get one of the Crafstman Square Hole Drill Bits!:rolleyes:
Do you have the template that comes with the directions? Try using the hole drilling method outlined. It was a bit tedious drilling all those holes in a line, but it worked as promised and my controller has been firmly in place for almost six years. Take your time, do it right.

Besides, Sears is sold out of square drill bits.

OP
OP
killingbugs
Bike
2015 C-14
I bought them used, without instructions. Now I read that if they were removed with the compressed air method they may have been damaged:mad:

I guess I need the template or I will take measurements and pray (will be doing that anyway).

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
These may be helpful.

When I cut the hole, I removed the black inner pannel with the left fairing pocket and did the work off the bike. You have to take off the left side tupperware to run the wiring, so while it's off go one step further and take off the inner panel. It's just a few more screws.

Attachments

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
As an alternate- if you know anyone who works with electrical instruments- like control panels and such, ask them if they have some "case cutters" you can borrow. These will allow you to make square- or any other shaped holes. Although designed for metal, I'm thinking they would work great for plastic. This might give you the flexibility to work safely without a template.
Just a thought.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I bought them used, without instructions. Now I read that if they were removed with the compressed air method they may have been damaged:mad:

I guess I need the template or I will take measurements and pray (will be doing that anyway).
If they are bad, you can get just the grips from David Silver in the UK.

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
My 06 had the square outlined. Start a little small and work slow .
Sart a little small and work slow.
Did I say go slow ?
Mine has been in 2+ years ans never moved.It was a tight fit but well worth the time as they are a save your rear on days it turns cold all of a sudden

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You could use a dremel ?
afaik I got my square drill bits from sears but you need a drill press to use em.
As for the grips themselves you should be able to ohm them out and see if they are damaged.
If so you may want to consider a cheaper alternative like the symtech or dualstar and a set of bmw grips.

I used a dremal and worked VERY SLOW. It worked out well for me. I damaged the templet in the process or I would have been happy to mail it to you.

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Once you have the left side plastic off look on the underside of the plastic where the controller goes, there you will find an outline for the controller in a small raised outline of plastic. :biker:

Top Bottom