Which heated gloves, jacket liner?

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thought it might be good to hear people's experiences before jumping in. Does anybody have experience with more than one company's gloves or liners, or other advice about which to go with? I plan to use separate controllers, and plan to get socks or maybe pants at some point. Will use variable controllers rather than switches. Need to get sockets, wiring, etc.

Did some searching but didn't see any comparative comments. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Can't compare but I'll swear by my Warm & Safe gear with dual heat troller. Plus you get 20% off on their website by putting ST-Owners.com in the club member section in checkout.

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks for the comments very much, that's just the kind of help I was looking for. Ray, I hope you answer all the other questions I post, you're pretty thorough. To the point that you answered the other question which I haven't posted yet: do those rain shields take care of frozen toes?

Borderland is what this area is referred to, Las Cruces NM, usually meaning El Paso and Jaurez also, because (obviously) it's on the border, and that heavily influences the culture around here. I just rode here in the middle of the night last night from Silver City, ST said 34 degrees. My gortex boots seemed to let the wind pass right through, and my leather gloves with $5 Walmart thinsulate gloves over them were useless. Stopped in Deming at the Walmart, with the following solutions, which got me home without frostbite. :) So, I'm getting electrics. But seriously, there needs to be a shield between the windshield and mirror.

Attachments

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
+1 on the Honda fairing and mirror extensions. There's also a thread concerning using VStrom handguards on the ST; a search should turn it up.

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks again Ray. Do those rain guards require drilling? Do the factory ones? I hesitate to put the factory ones on the mirrors. I am determined to figure a way to thoroughly block the wind coming in between the windshield and mirror, and it may not get along with the factory stuff, so I'm holding off.

Thanks rognoz, I'll have a look.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I have WarmnSafe(WNS) and Gerbing's jacket liners and gloves. Each company has done well in fit and finish. I have not had to return anything to WNS, but I've had their products only a few months. (they were a gift is the reason I have them) I have had Gerbing's for years and anytime something has gone wrong with their product it is fixed and returned for whatever the postage to and from the factory costs. I will say I like WNS gloves much more so than the Gerbing's. The palms are not nearly as thick, so they don't have so much bulk between my palm and the handle grip. The jackets are very comparable as far as fit and keeping my torso warm in the cold weather.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have both Gerbing (the whole outfit - including socks and pants liners) and Widder also. Plus a Gerbing heat controller and a Powerlet controller (which just died). The big differences between the Gerbing and WarmNSafe is the Gerbing has some insulation and no stretch panels, the WarmNSafe has no insulation and does have stretch panels. If I had my druthers, I'd have the stretch panels and insulation. Either setup will service you well, you just have to a little pickier if you go with Gerbing to get the right size (online size charts are not exact - at least not for me). Symtec heated grips are about $25 (last time I got some) and make a great addition to the heated gloves.

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks Phil. Would you say that the WnS liner is thinner than the Gerbing, and thus might be used inside the liner of my tourmaster (which is snug)? I'd hate to have to leave the TM liner at home, but maybe with the heated lining I don't need it.
Thanks...

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks again. Well, my thought was to now get the electric gloves. Those Lee Parks sound good though. Decisions, decisions. I don't have heated grips at the moment and need some pretty quick solution. I need power for my cell phone and thought I'd go ahead and get my outlets etc. for heated clothes.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
Very happy here with the warm'n safe. Mike is great to deal with as well. I have the liner, gloves and dual controller. Make sure you get the dual. On real cold days, I have the gloves cranked up, but the liner 1/4 of the way.
One thing to think about is whether you want the portable controller or the permanent one that you mount on the bike.

I have the traditional gloves. They work very well, but are bulky. The thinner one Ray talks about may be a better choice, but I am not sure how warm they are.

One bonus with the liner, is the warmth on your back. A thrill the first time you experience it.
Good luck with your decision.

Raouf

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
To whomever asked, yes the WnS liner is a bit thinner than the Gerbing, and also more form fitting, so it should fit under your jacket more easily.

Note also that WnS has two versions of the liner. One is breathable, the other blocks the wind. (I think Gen 2 is the breathable version, but double check with them.) The Gen 2 is probably better under winter gear as it won't let perspiration build out underneath. The Gen 3 might be better worn under a mesh jacket.

When I bought my liner (one of the first he sold), I ended up with one that was too big. Mike took it back and sent me a smaller one no questions asked. I paid for shipping back to him, he paid for shipping the new one to me. I also had a dual heat-troller fail after 2 or 3 years of use. Well outside warranty, but Mike replaced it for me no cost. (He even paid the shipping). I also have a perm mounted grip controller, and broke a lead to the blinking LED snaking the wires through my ST. Totally my fault, but Mike hinted at replacing it before I told him I didn't care about the LED. Not saying he'd do this in every case, but he does stand behind his products.

I haven't put the VP rain guards on my 1300 yet, but used them on my 1100 and they were great. No aerodynamic effects that I could notice.

Pepe'

Jabberwockey knowledgeable
Bike
2006 ST1300R
I wear the Gerbings. The warrenty sold me on it before WNS was available. I am good to below 25f without my jacket liner. I haven't tried with the liner yet. Trekker just got his WNS and it is thin enough to wear under his liner. Not sure how low he can go yet. The feed wire grommet securing the controller pulled out on the WNS though. I don't know what he will do with it.

All heated glove I have looked at require an unacceptable compromise so I use some BMW gloves that I like with Symtec heated grips.

Top Bottom