Heated clothing electrics questions

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thinking about how to set up for my heated liner and gloves. Two dumb questions:

1. Why does WNS make a 65 watt jacket liner? Isn't it equivalent to the 90 watt liner at .7 power? I must be missing something because it seems as long as you have a variable controller, there is no advantage to the 65 watt.

2. I started out thinking one installs powerlets and then connects the clothing to the powerlets. Seems like nobody does that, just use the clothing pigtail directly to switch/contoller then to battery or fuse block, leaving the controller pigtail dangling to plug into. The only advantage for using a powerlet is to avoid having a dangling pigtail on the bike? (I know powerlets have other uses)

Thanks much. Slowly getting there with everyone's help.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Dumb answer 1 - Marketing? I didn't look at the specifics but it could be size related and if the neck portion is heated. I would suggest the higher wattage model and liner (not vest). I apperciate the heat in the arms and around the neck. Also depending if you are two up and whatever else you are running your alternator may not be up to the task

Dumb answer 2 - You will probably find that running direct without a controller gets too warm. Sometimes I run that way just to simplify getting going in the morning. When I get around to it I'll probably fashion some kind of controller hook up that runs to my dual powerlet by the preload adjuster. The short powerlet plug to coax jack comes in handy. I made it a little shorter so it can't hit the exhaust but you want the quick disconnect feature. You will forget to unplug LOL.

+1 comment below. You don't need the powerlet. I already had it mounted.

Last edited:
Bike
2008 VStrom 650
You don't need the powerlet unless you are using it for some other device.
Just use the fused lead that comes with the liner, hook it up to the battery and save a few bucks.
I have my lead coming up through the joint between the seats with the coax connector plugged into a portable controller on my waist. It tucks under the seat when not in use.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
I believe the 65w is recommended for bikes with lower output electrical systems if I remembber what their web site says, If you have any question about there stuff give Mike a call and ask the man that designed it, he loves to talk bikes and heated gear.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I have mine vest and glove harness hooked up to powerlets. They look cleaner, and they're easier to plug and unplug (I can unplug 1 handed without worry about straining the wires.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Not sure about your first question, but for your second, I have the harness pigtail coming up between the tank and the front of the seat. I had a BMW style connector on my last bike, and it gave me enough problems I swore I would never mount a solid connector again. When the temps are warm, the pigtail gets tucked down under the seat. Also, you cant beat a dual-temp controller. Even if you think you'll only ever need one for your gloves, sooner or later you'll need to adjust the temps of a liner, or socks, or maybe the pillon's gloves.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Here in TX, it just doesn't get all that cold for very long. Obviously, I can't speak for every part of TX..

For me, the powerlet option works just fine but I only need electrics when temps approach 32 degrees.... Above 32 degrees and I can layer a little and be just fine with no real issues, hands will get cold but some heated grips and glove liners and I'm fine.

Now, below 32 degrees, my heated stuff just stays on.

There are times when you are touring all day when a controller would be nice but I have an on/off switch which works fine for me. If I were in a more northern area I probably would have a perm controller installed.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The 65 watt model is for bikes with less alternator capacity. Not a problem on your ST1300. I have a Powerlet receptacle on the left side of the fairing. Gerbing sells a Powerlet-to-coax connector, or you can fabricate one with a Powerlet plug. I have the controllers in a pouch that clips to a jacket belt.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
I currently have a direct connection pigtail running from the battery to a short lead poking through the plastic by the center stand handle. Soon (Saturday?) I'm installing the dual permanent heat controller that I have and I'll have both pigtails in the same location. I like that location because I often forget to unplug when I dismount and it automatically disconnects as I dismount. That also makes a convenient place for my wires to hang down out of my jacket: left side toward the rear. The wire doesn't get annoying hanging down from that location if I'm off the bike and walking around.

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Here is Mike Coan's response about why he makes 65 watt jacket liners:

"Because of the pulsing of the heat-troller it can swing into a full load draw for a part of a second. This could cause strobing of the headlight if you have a very weak charging system. But on a 1300 you should have no problem."

Bike
ST1300
I bought the firstgear 90 watt jacket and gloves, I can tell you that I never need the full 90 watt,s ever when it is 30 degrees out, rode all day and had to turn the gloves on full blast but behind the windshield maybe 75% at the most for the jacket, I bet the 65 watter would be enough, and I of course bought the dual control, I dont think I could stand the jacket on the same temp at the gloves, I just wear a longsleeve t-shirt with jacket liner and heated liner and good to 30 degrees allday

Bike
2005 ST1300
Did ya know that Powerlet also makes heated clothing? Gerbings, Aerostich and Powerlet all use the same "Quick connect" connectors. Because Honda's 12 volt/cigar connector has only a 2 amp fuse, I use the Gerbings fused battery harness<15a> with a cigar socket adaptor for my Slime tire inflator.

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Did ya know that Powerlet also makes heated clothing? Gerbings, Aerostich and Powerlet all use the same "Quick connect" connectors. Because Honda's 12 volt/cigar connector has only a 2 amp fuse, I use the Gerbings fused battery harness<15a> with a cigar socket adaptor for my Slime tire inflator.
Thanks,yes, in fact I ordered my jacket liner and temp controller from them. These are rebranded warm-n-safe. They spent a lot of time on the phone w me so decided to buy from them, plus there's the 20% off and free shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks Blue Streak, yes I heard that. I just went ahead and went for the Powerlet because we had several phone calls back and forth, they seemed pretty eager to make the sale and had the same stuff at Mike at WNS, Mike was out of town and I was in a hurry. It's cold out there! :p:

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Blackie, two thoughts the controller will be necessary as the jacket will heat up too much most of the time. Also consider a rigid plug as opposed to a dangling one, as mentioned above being able to plug in while underway is a good thing. I have left a gas station and got up to speed and realized I forgot to plug back in, minor hassle while alone but with a group its a bigger annoyance. A controller you can adjust on the fly will be welcome as well...

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Good point, thanks. I plan to get the powerlets for under the seat, but I'm bleeding green. I did get the dual portable controller, so I can move it to my other bike.

River

Top Bottom