Removing Throttle tube for heated grips

I'm installing the Honda heated grips. I have the left grip on but I'm a bit confused by the right grip. I took the grip off. In the Honda heated grips installation, it says to remove the inner grip. I imagine that's the throttle tube. Do I need to remove the right handlebar switch/throttle housing to remove the throttle tube, or do I need to remove the throttle tube at all? I have the manual but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks,
Steve

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I don't have the OEM heated grips but I don't understand why it would want you to remove the sleeve unless the grips are supposed to go inside the switch housing.. doesn't make sense to me.. but, I'm sure someone that has them will chime inl.

OP
OP
steve18
That's exactly what I thought. In the instructions for the grips, it doesn't show removing the housing but it does say to remove the inner grip.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
I installed the OEM Honda grips and I didn't remove it.

Don't know why you would.

I'm installing the Honda heated grips. I have the left grip on but I'm a bit confused by the right grip. I took the grip off. In the Honda heated grips installation, it says to remove the inner grip. I imagine that's the throttle tube. Do I need to remove the right handlebar switch/throttle housing to remove the throttle tube, or do I need to remove the throttle tube at all? I have the manual but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks,
Steve

I didn't remove mine, even though the instructions say to do it. Honda makes the assumption that you are going to lube the throttle cables. I did not dothat either and have had no problems with my throttle or the Honda Heated grips.

PS.
Those grips are really nice. I use mine alot here in WI

OP
OP
steve18
I put it on and originally used the spacer but the bar end was causing the grip to stick. So I moved it in a little more. There's still a little space between the throttle and the wire housing and the throttle doesn't seem to stick. If any of you get time, is there a way you can snap a quick picture of the right throttle so I can get an idea how much space is normal?

Thanks again!

Steve

I put it on and originally used the spacer but the bar end was causing the grip to stick. So I moved it in a little more. There's still a little space between the throttle and the wire housing and the throttle doesn't seem to stick. If any of you get time, is there a way you can snap a quick picture of the right throttle so I can get an idea how much space is normal?

Thanks again!

Steve
I measured mine, and its just right on 1/4" gap between the end of the grip and the trhottle housing. Make sure you pay attention to the angle of the wire for the right side grip. Mine's about 5 O'clock as you view it from the end.

Also Impotant Note: What are you using for a grip adhesive? I can tell you from experience that regular Scott's grip glue in a tube is just about worthless for heated grips. I tried that first and it did not hold.

I used a Permatex Ultra Black High Temp RTV Silcone gasket maker. So far it is holding up very well.

OP
OP
steve18
Mine is probably 1/8" from the housing. Anything bigger and it would bind up on the bar end. I'm using Honda grip adhesive.

Thanks,
Steve

OP
OP
steve18
Duh...I forgot to use the bar ends that came with the grips. The have a bigger neck so it doesn't rub anymore.

Thanks,
Steve

Top Bottom