ATV Grip Covers on a 14 Degree Morning

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I decided to try A pair of ATV grip covers on the ST. After a couple trial runs getting used to them before I rode in traffic I rode into Nashville this morning. The temp was 14 degrres when I left the house at 6 AM and 18 when I arrived at work. These covers make a huge difference! While they do interfere a little with your rear view vision in the mirrors the warmth was well worth it. I had to set my grip heaters on low and was able to wear a light pair of leather gloves with 40 gram thinsulate and my hands stayed warm for the 52 mile ride in.:) I was afraid the grip heaters (Symptec) were getting too hot in the high position since there wasn't much air circulating over the grips. Can they get too hot; any advice here?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Any photo's of the set up?

Other than the obvious turn the grips on low :confused: :D
The symtecs dont really get that hot imop. The left one has the heat sink to the bar so that's not a concern.
The right side could maybe get hot enough to deform the throttle sleave but your hand would likely be the 1st thing to tell you to turn the grip down.

I'm was thinking of using both elements at the same time to get them warmer
so I don't have to fuss with electric gloves unless it's really cold and run em on a pwm controller.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
I have the same set-up on my ST.:06biker: I was able to run the grip heaters on low and wear my regular warm weather gloves! Now I ride in teen temps regularly as long as the roads are mostly dry. Amazing!:D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I just ordered the same set from Cabellas. I used to have a set but they got lost in the last move I guess. Like the others, I use summer weight gloves and set the heated grips on low. Very comfortable.

OP
OP
Indian Express
Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
Mine have the Ducks Unlimited logo on them and are not quite as long as the Cabelas version. I paid $22 for them at the local Honda dealer. Hippo Hands are a little diffeent set up and cost quite a bit more, if I remember correctly around the $70 range. I'll take a photo later this afternoon and try to post it here.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have a set of hippo hands I have had for 25 years. They were made by Vetter as in Vetter fairings. You can wear light gloves in the coldest weather. I used them on my 03 connie but have not put them on the st. I just started a new job that is 40 miles from home and having to leave home at 6am. I am about to put them on. Not sure what they will do to the mirrors. The old ones are a lot bigger than the new ones.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have a set of hippo hands I have had for 25 years. They were made by Vetter as in Vetter fairings. You can wear light gloves in the coldest weather. I used them on my 03 connie but have not put them on the st. I just started a new job that is 40 miles from home and having to leave home at 6am. I am about to put them on. Not sure what they will do to the mirrors. The old ones are a lot bigger than the new ones.
I had a set of the original Vetter Hippo Hands. They were a lot more stiff than the current nylon mitts. I had a problem with the right hand side pushing back against the front brake lever on my 75 Wing.

Looking forward to the new ones, could'a used'em last weekend.

Top Bottom