Honda Heated Grips Issue

Louie Louie

I have the Honda heated grips. When I increased the heat on my gerbing's liner, the green lights on the control panel went out and then started flashing for a bit. They then became solid again. Whats up?

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
The Honda heated grip controller will sense when the draw on the charging system is too high and shutoff the grips. The lights will flash when this happens. Usually at idle.

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Mine do the same thing and I'm in dire need of a new battery. I assume the new battery will solve the problem.

skippy69

Keeper of the seven keys
Bike
2013 BMW K1600GT
It's normal at idle when you have some extra accessories on for the panel lights to flash on your grip control. Honda designed it that way to keep the alternator from overloading at idle.:bannana

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #
I have the Honda heated grips. When I increased the heat on my gerbing's liner, the green lights on the control panel went out and then started flashing for a bit. They then became solid again. Whats up?
Hi, Louis:

My heated grips' controller does the same thing that you see; it's a safety feature to preserve the battery. If you have not already done it, try increasing your idle speed to 1,100 RPM. This may do the trick all by itself.

I have Gerbing pants and jacket liners, and G3 gloves, as well as 85/80 watt headlight bulbs (I was going to go back to 60/55s but got lazy). As I have the gloves, I seldom use the grip heaters at the same time. I thought that you have heated gloves also. Right?

Marshal

Top Bottom