Gerbing Heated Insoles

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Well, it's in the sixties here today, more of the same coming for Friday and the weekend. This is probably why my Gerbing heated insoles arrived today. I Can't really test them in good weather, but this is Kansas - it'll go bad sooner or later. They appear to be the approximate thickness of a normal boot or hiking shoe liner, and reasonably well cushioned. The cord is attached under the arch, and exits on the inside of the foot. The XXL size (12 to 14) is marked at the toe so that you can cut it down for a more exact fit. Maybe I should head to the Colorado RTE in a couple of weeks...

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I was curious when they were going to release these. Please keep us updated as to comfort and heating quality.

Jeff Gerbing himself said these were supposed to be waaaaaay better than the socks.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would also be really interested how well they work (I already have the socks). Do they have the standard coax connection that can work with the pants liner? I'm wondering how they will feel 'walking' with the cord running up the inside of the boots.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I'll be interested in your feedback as well. Maggie too. She really wants to extend her riding season, but is a little wimpy when it comes to cold.

John

OP
OP
roginoz
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Uncle Phil: Standard coax fittings, one on each insole; they'll plug in to the pants, just like the socks did. They've also included a big honkin' Y connector in case you run them without the pants.

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
ROGER - Thanks. The big problem I have with the socks is they are so uncomfortable to walk in - even with sock liners. I'll be interested how well these work in that respect.
Phil, Gerbing makes 2 kinds (both no longer made though as they are switching to the insoles). One has wiring on the foot bottom, one doesn't.

I presume you mean the wires under the foot are uncomfortable to walk on? I was wondering about that.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
RIVER - Yeppers, the wires under the foot. They can even get uncomfortable with your feet on the pegs for a long period of time. Got a blister once on the bottom of my left foot but I don't know if the heat circuit did it or just the rubbing. Quite painful - but they do keep your feet toasty! I only use them if the temps are in the teens - and then with sock liners. The socks and the VP Rainshields insure that I don't get cold feet.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Roginoz, we want to hear first hand how they work. Come join us for the RTE in Co. :eat1:

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
RIVER - Yeppers, the wires under the foot. They can even get uncomfortable with your feet on the pegs for a long period of time. Got a blister once on the bottom of my left foot but I don't know if the heat circuit did it or just the rubbing. Quite painful - but they do keep your feet toasty! I only use them if the temps are in the teens - and then with sock liners. The socks and the VP Rainshields insure that I don't get cold feet.
Thanks Phil. What are the VP Rainshields?

Well I'm not sure whether to look for some socks with no wiring in the sole, don't know if that would work. Maybe in conjunction with the insoles, but don't know if that would wire up and work ok. I'll have the 65 watt Warm N Safe liner.

I bought some hunter's electric socks, a D cell battery for each one. Couldn't feel any heat whatsoever and returned them the same day. They had an element that ran across the foot under the toes.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
RIVER - For the ST1100 (and I think they make them for the ST1300), they are plastic shields that attach below the tipover wings and block the direct blast from the wind and the rain on your feet. Last set I bought I think were $29.95 and well worth it. This may point you in the right direction -

http://www.st1100.org/html/vp.html

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
The Gerbings insoles were backordered a week ago, but my new pair are in transit. I see Symtec makes a pair for snowmobilers, but they are more money. I will let you know how my new insoles feel when I get them next week. My G3 gloves arrived also.... shame the riding season is still in the distance, although, we are starting a week long heatwave here tomorrow with temps around 40+F (the delayed January thaw).

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
RIVER - For the ST1100 (and I think they make them for the ST1300), they are plastic shields that attach below the tipover wings and block the direct blast from the wind and the rain on your feet. Last set I bought I think were $29.95 and well worth it. This may point you in the right direction -

http://www.st1100.org/html/vp.html
Oh, duh, I already have some. I was thinking some kind of overshoe. Thanks.

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I think my toes would get cold. I liked the socks although you have to adjust the wires some.
I made the same comment to Jeff Gerbing when I talked to him, having the same initial thought as you. His opinion (albeit biased) was the insoles do a good job of heating the entire boot. I guess our ST-Owners test subjects :)p:) will tell!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I fitted my new insoles into my Alpine Stars Ridge boots. First obvious thing is the Gerbings are thicker than the typical insole in riding boots. Makes for more cushion, particularly in the heel area. I got lucky and mine did not require trimming. Note, you can only trim off the toe area, nowhere else. Order the size Gerbings recommends for your shoe size. You can barely see this in the picture above, but there is a 'bump' in the middle of the insole under your instep, not sure if that's an intentional arch support (not quite large enough) or where the junction of all the heating wires are, but I suspect the latter. Note you cannot feel any wires at all, just fabric covered foam. They feel comfortable, but will take a little getting used to in a postive way. The thicker cushion is mostly at the rear half of your foot and you seem more tilted forward when walking. It will depend what you're used to.
Now for the electrical... Note, I could not do a real world ride, so this is just me standing out in the cold. For the test, I plugged them in directly without a controller to ensure full heat. It took 5 minutes for them to warm up, and full cook takes a bit longer. I had cotton socks on which may have insulated me slightly, but these things will not burn you. The heat is uniformly distributed all over the bottom of your foot. You do notice there is no heat on top of your foot. While I did think they got a little too warm for comfort, I suspect you'll have your controller at 3/4 in the cold weather while riding. I will update in a month or so when I can get some real world riding in.

Top Bottom