Heated grip Question

Bike
07 ST1300A
STOC #
I finished installing the OEM heated grips over the weekend and took it out for a spin. My immediate impression is the right grip gets hotter than the left one. I double checked the wires to make sure they are fully seated which they are. Just wondering if this is a common perception. Also when I plugged in the wires from the grips there was no color indicator as to which one to plug into which female socket so I just randomly picked one. Was that a correct assumption? The instructions were vague in this area.

Thanks,

Don

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Funny, my right grip seems hotter too.

I wonder if it's because my hand hardly ever leaves that grip?

I don't remember when I hooked them up if there was a difference from right to left, interesting question.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I know the symtec elements are different wattages.
The right grip mounts on the throttle sleave. The left on the aluminum bar.
Some have suggested a pc of heavy wall shrink tube on the left side to reduce heat conduction into the bar

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
You aren't feeling anything odd: that's the way it is.

The right grip is on a plastic throttle housing, the left on a metal bar. Somebody advised putting a wrap around the metal bar before sliding the grip on to help it keep heat better, but that would stretch the grip IMO.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
Same thing on mine. I double checked everything and there is nothing wrong with the set-up, just the physics of the plastic throttle tube vs the metal bar.

OP
OP
Bike
07 ST1300A
STOC #
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who noticed this. I might try putting the heat shrink on the bar but I wonder if that will make it more likely to slip.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I wonder if it's because my hand hardly ever leaves that grip?
I've had the OEM grips since 2003 and I'd wager this is either the answer or the main contributor. You take your left hand off the grip every time you shift. That lets cold air flow across the grip and your palm. At the same time, you're grabbing the clutch lever which conducts the cold very effectively. While this is going on, your right hand stays firmly in touch with the heat source.

Interesting that the $30 Symtec heaters are designed to compensate for the different grips, but the $$$ Honda heaters don't. Wonder if BMW has worked it out?

OP
OP
Bike
07 ST1300A
STOC #
I wondered the same thing but I ran down a long stretch of road yesterday in top gear and I could feel the difference even after pulling my right hand off the bar for a little while.

I've had the OEM grips since 2003 and I'd wager this is either the answer or the main contributor. You take your left hand off the grip every time you shift. That lets cold air flow across the grip and your palm. At the same time, you're grabbing the clutch lever which conducts the cold very effectively. While this is going on, your right hand stays firmly in touch with the heat source.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Put a couple layers of heat shrink on the left handle, enough to match the plastic throttle tube dia. Install the heat units. Install the hand grips, both right sides, you did order another right side one didn't you?

SilverBullet

Harold Buckner
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
My right side feels warmer too, some people I've spoke with states it's because you grip the right side tighter then the left side. It might be true but I've gotten use to it now so it does not bother me as it first did.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The left side has a heat sink in the metal handlebar while the right side is insulated from the bar by the plastic throttle tube.

+1 on the Symtechs having a separate left and right elements to compensate somewhat for the heat sink effect. Doesn't the Honda heating elements have different wattage to compensate like Symtech's do?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I ordered the heaters form Aerostich that are basically the same thing as Symtechs. The instructions said that this would be something that I would notice. They gave the normal installation instructions as well as optional way of wiring it. Basically the grips heaters use a resistor for low and no resistor for high. It said that you can install the resistor on the wire going to the right grip and no resistor on the left. You won't have a low and a high with that installation method but it may be better than trying to go back and add heat shrink to the bars.

So it's been a bit since this post. I was wondering if anyone has added the heat shrink to the naked left handlebar and what the results were and any shortcomings as well.... Only for those who have the Symtecs.... thanks.

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Guys, I don't think it's the metal bar. It has to do with thickness. The centers (holes) on the left grip of every bike is a lot smaller than the right due to the throttle tube. That extra rubber is what is insulating us from the heat on the left side. The only way it could be fixed in my opinion is for the heating elements to be imbedded into the rubber at teh same depth on each grip. That's not the case on the factory grips - I installed mine myself and studied them closely. The elements are in the immediate inside diameter - not a set distance from the surface - right and left.

Regards,
Gordon

Gizmo

Dean
Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR
I ordered the heaters form Aerostich that are basically the same thing as Symtechs. The instructions said that this would be something that I would notice. They gave the normal installation instructions as well as optional way of wiring it. Basically the grips heaters use a resistor for low and no resistor for high. It said that you can install the resistor on the wire going to the right grip and no resistor on the left. You won't have a low and a high with that installation method but it may be better than trying to go back and add heat shrink to the bars.
Are you pleased with the Aerostich heaters? I'm looking at getting them as well, partially because there are a few other small items I want to get from Aerostich and it is easier to handle it all in one shipment. Based on what I've read on both websites there doesn't seem to be a great deal of different.

Also, did you follow the "original" or "alternate" installation instructions? And if you did it again, which would you do?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Are you pleased with the Aerostich heaters? I'm looking at getting them as well, partially because there are a few other small items I want to get from Aerostich and it is easier to handle it all in one shipment. Based on what I've read on both websites there doesn't seem to be a great deal of different.

Also, did you follow the "original" or "alternate" installation instructions? And if you did it again, which would you do?
The only difference would be the stich uses the power resistor to dissapate heat, the symtech has 2 elements for high and low and 2 different elements to address the bar and throttle sleave issue. I have the symtech and don't find too much difference between left and right grips temp. For me neither side gets too hot to handle on high. Both sides get cool pretty fast if I take my hands off the grips at speed and take a bit to warm up again so I think the rubber grip material is the big factor (bmw grips here)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Gordon, you might be onto something with the thickness thing....... From my experience with HotGrips, the construction is such that there is no "thickness" issue right to left, and have an internal rib construction. I never felt a difference on my ST. I thought they were quite well made, and I've never heard of them failing. They come with a resistor and hi/lo switch, but I preferred a heat-troller. Of course, they are more money than Symtecs, but less than Hondaline.

Top Bottom