Oh no I didn't!!!

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Yes...I did. After years and years of being an anti-Harley (well, maybe just non-Harley) guy, I've gone and done it. Maybe it was growing up just outside Milwaukee. Maybe it's approaching middle age. Maybe it was the incredible deal. Who knows. But, in my best Tom Cruise in Risky Business, "sometimes you just have to say, what the..." moment, I've taken the plunge and bought the bike you see below.

A 2004 Harley V-Rod. It's in Saratoga Springs, NY. The long-term plan is to have it stay there in the summer so I can ride it when I'm there each month. Still working through how to get it licensed and inspected in Texas. May have to "suffer" through riding it back. Oh darn.

I feel like I have so much to learn. New clothes, new half-helmet, tatoo...man, where do I start?

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's cool... looks like a fun bike.

STOC #
???
In my eperience they are not much for long distance. I rode one of the first ones and couldn't wait to get off at the first gas stop for the group, about 30 miles down the road. They are lot's of fun though and going through the twisty parts was pretty entertaining, while scraping the heels of my boots in almost every corner. It shows that H-D is capable of making a "capable" bike, although some of the hard core guys just sniffed and said, "Ain't no Harley..." Too bad.
KZ

OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
Good looking bike...of the HD's the Nightrod Special is the one I drool over. I've never ridden one but they don't look like anything enjoyable for LD riding. You might want to consider trailering it down from NY.
I've drooled over that Nightrod Special as well...but this deal was just too good to pass up.

I've thought about trailering it as an option. The problem is, the ST made the trip from DFW to Saratoga Springs last fall seem so easy. I know it would be very different on the HD. Then again, I have a colleague who's done an 800 mile day on a V-Rod and was just fine.

ocho nueve

Wanted: Slipper clutch
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Well, here's my opinion: Screw comfort, That is one sweet bike!

Com'on you guys! The ST is for comfort! That HD is for increasing testicular fortitude and battling ED!!!

If I can ever afford to put a second bike in my garage, it'll be that one.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The Street Rod has mid-mount controls, which go a long way toward making a bike like this go a long way without feeling like a torture rack. Sweet motor by all accounts.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I agree, I'm not anti-Harley more like just non-Harley, I have a lot of respect for Harley, which it deserves. It's an icon in motorcycles. My grandfather had a military Harley with a side car, and one of my best childhood memories is riding in front of my dad by the tank of his big ole 45 Harley he had. But my experience in motorcyling has also led me to the icon that is known as Honda.. and I have just had great results with them ..bulletproof.

The V-Rod is the bike that got my attention when it came out where I said "Wow, thats impressive!" and it was HD taking a new direction (which probably pissed off a lot of HD fans) but that is what innovators do. For so long they kept churning out the same thing, with no improvements, just higher prices cause it was a Harley. To each his own, and I understand that, some people love that classic style (which is extensively copied by the Japanese bikes-thier best sellers) When I was going to get a new motorcycle, I just wanted one that looked and was designed like it came from 2009...not 1945. They just dont fit my particular riding style, which is straight up posture, and neither do the crotch rockets (I can't imagine having to ride all bent over...) Like anything else, there are some genuine people with the brand that are real and not "pretenders" and all of those that I have spoken to are "motorcyclist" too, not bikers..
Anywho, sorry about the long rant .. I think the V-Rod is sweet :D

Congrats man ( I would really think about the tattoo though ok ?? LOL )

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I agree, the V-ROD is a nice looking bike. Probably the only HD I would buy.

With that said, you really didn't buy a HD, as the HD hardcore bunch would tell you anyway. ;) And the engine was designed with alot of help from Porsche.

Bike
v-rod
STOC #
In my eperience they are not much for long distance. I rode one of the first ones and couldn't wait to get off at the first gas stop for the group, about 30 miles down the road. They are lot's of fun though and going through the twisty parts was pretty entertaining, while scraping the heels of my boots in almost every corner. It shows that H-D is capable of making a "capable" bike, although some of the hard core guys just sniffed and said, "Ain't no Harley..." Too bad.
KZ
I have been riding V-Rods since '06, and have done a lot of cross country trips on them. For me this is the most comfertable bike I own. I am less tired after a 500 mile day than I was on a 50 mile ride on my '07 K1200GT. The fuel tank is small but there are two companies that supply five gallon replacements. Your going to like this bike.
P.S.
I have a lot of spare parts for V-Rods if you need anything check with me first I may have it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MLRickards
Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I have been riding V-Rods since '06, and have done a lot of cross country trips on them. For me this is the most comfertable bike I own. I am less tired after a 500 mile day than I was on a 50 mile ride on my '07 K1200GT. The fuel tank is small but there are two companies that supply five gallon replacements. Your going to like this bike.
P.S.
I have a lot of spare parts for V-Rods if you need anything check with me first I may have it.
Thanks for the insight and offer on the spare parts. I'll keep that in mind! I talked to the seller a little more yesterday and he said the Sundowner seat made a significant difference in comfort. Looks like I'll be able to work things out so that I won't need to drive it back to Texas right away, so I'll be spending at least the weekend riding it around upstate NY in a couple of weeks. That will give me a chance to see how many miles it takes to get uncomfortable. I'm hoping to be able to ride it back to Texas toward the end of September so I'll have it to ride down here during the winter.

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Newest cycle mag says HD is doing a 170hp v4, water cooler. Built in conjunction with Porsche. looks like the VRod is getting bigger for the touring line up.

You're keeping the ST right?

I have ridden a Vrod. If you've already ridden one and still like... fine. But I pretty much hated the one i rode. The long raked front end, makes for very poor low speed handling. The engine is OK, but no where near as smooth or powerul as the ST. Engine vibrates alot and the fuel range is about 100 miles.

Sorry I can't paint this in good light, but this bike is only Good for a bar cruising, and not much else IMHO

Enjoy

Follow

TEAM COLORADO
Bike
Two wheels
STOC #
Sweet, enjoy your new ride. Mine is not a Vrod, but real comfy on LDR. My HD gets a little over 200 miles on a tank.

Top Bottom