Heated Grip Selection

For me, heated grips are a no go decision. I don't mind wet hands, as long as they are warm!

I just purchased a 2007 ST. It looks like there are 3-4 options for heated grips, but I don't see any compelling reason to not go with the factory grips. Looks like they are about $170 or so for the kit. Also from what I have been reading it appears that the install is "plug and pray". Am I correct that the harness is pre-wired and the electrical part of the install is just a plug in?

Also, I want some sort of throttle control (cruise control, throttlemeister). How does the installation of heated grips affect selection or installation of a throttle lock / cruise control.

Thanks,

JG

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
Another vote for Symtec heaters. Just make sure that when you put the throttle grip back on, leave some room for the throttle lock to fit between the grip and the switch housing.

They do not draw much for power, so I have mine hooked up to the Quartet harness on my 1300. Easy to put on, but not plug and play like the Honda grips.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Don't know about the throttle locks but it shouldn't effect a CC.
+1 symtecs, lots of folks also swap the stock grips with BMW grips LINK at the same time.
They aren't plug an play but they're simple to install.
Handguards also help. LINK The need some mod on the outside mount end, easy with a dremel.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300
One thing about heated grips...I have the OEMs on mine.

The backs of your hands will still get cold...
The ST's wind protection is great and with layers I ride to work in the 20's without a problem but the only electrics I would like to have would be heated gloves...

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If you're going to spend that kind of money, go out and get the best, Hot Grips. They come with a switch and resistor for Hi & Lo, but you'll need a Heat-Troller if you want variable heat. All you need is a 12V power source. These are very well made, isolate heat transfer to the bars, and are more comfortable than OEM grips. I hear a few stories here and there about the Honda grips failing, so my preference is to stay away from them.
If you want to save money, go the Symtec route the others have mentioned.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The Symtec heaters will allow you to use any grip, OEM or aftermarket, that you like. If you're using a Kaoko or Throttlemeister throttle lock, there's no interference because the locking mechanism is at the end opposite the heater wiring. BTW PunkRocka is organizing a group buy on the Kaoko. I like mine.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
Do Not Buy Honda OEM grip heaters
1. Around 4 to 5 times more expensive then Symtec heaters
2. Higher failure rate then any other grip heaters
3. You can't chose a different grip.

Do Not Buy Throttlemeister throttle lock
1. Around 4 to 5 times more expensive then Vista Cruise
2. Not nearly as easy to use as Vista Cruise. This fact alone makes me wonder why anybody would chose Throttlemeister

As Always YMMV Yada Yada

Top Bottom