Symtec Heated Grips - Unusual install

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Yesterday, I installed a set of Symtecs but my installation is a little different from any I've seen or heard of.

For the past two years, I've had tennis racket grip wraps wrapped around my stock grips because I like the larger diameter, cushy feel, and they never get slippery when wet.

I've pulled grips off other bikes I've owned and hated the process. I don't have an air compressor to "blow" them off so it's a real pain in the posterior. So much so that I figured I'd just cut them off and buy new ones the next time I needed to pull the grips off.

So while contemplating doing just that to install the Symtecs, I had a brain fart :grin:. Why not just install the Symtecs on top of the old grips and wrap the tennis racket grip wraps over the Symtecs?

As I was installing them, I realized they don't reach around the full circumfrence because they're going around the original grips rather than just the handlebar but it appeared that the gap would be where my hands don't really touch the grip anyway.

I got to try them out this morning when the temp was only 45 and they worked great.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Great info, Viggo. I'm wondering if the clutch side is noticeably warmer? With your handlebar insulated, I'd suppose it would be.

Styles

OP
OP
Viggo

Viggo

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Hiya, Styles.

I didn't notice any difference in warmth from one side to the other.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I saw these in the Aerostich catalog the other day.

Grip Wraps

Basically thes same thing. They velcro to the outside of the grips and you can take them off in the summer. I don't know how you keep them from slipping on the throttle side but they look interesting. Although I just installed a set of the Aerostich version of the Symtecs.

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
Just an observation, but couldn't you do this and then put a set of Grip Puppies over the top of the Symtecs?

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I saw these in the Aerostich catalog the other day.

Grip Wraps

Basically thes same thing. They velcro to the outside of the grips and you can take them off in the summer. I don't know how you keep them from slipping on the throttle side but they look interesting. Although I just installed a set of the Aerostich version of the Symtecs.
I have a set of these but haven't used them in years. They do work, but they have one setting: incinerate.

Top Bottom