Rode a 2003/04 RoadKing Police

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
My Friend just picked up a pretty well cared for '03/04 ( I don't remember the date) RoadKing Police. Of Harley's I've always liked the RoadKing, something about the style.

Of course at idle the thing shakes like an old washing machine. But I don't mind because I understand what I'm riding. I know it's not gonna be a silky smooth motor, but I kinda like the rumbling of a V-twin.

Getting going the throttle response and clutch are "normal". Meaning, the clutch pull wasn't difficult and the engagement was fine. The responded the way I thought it would for the type of bike.

I'm not sure if all Harleys are setup the same as far as controls, but I found them to be somewhat odd. Odd in that I didn't find them to be "natural", that I would be able to use them "second nature". I'll admit this could be because I don't ride that setup all the time. And the quality is very good, but I really not sure I'd get used to using the controls "second nature".

Stopping at my first stop sign, I thought maybe the brakes were cold and after using them a few times they'ed warm up. That didn't happen. After my ride I thought the brakes might not be hydraulic, while riding I didn't notice the "teenie tiny" brake reservoir. So, just bad brakes.

I didn't get to highway, just tooled around some back roads. I've always figured this is what a bike of this type is for; Just moseying around the countryside taking in the surroundings. This isn't a knock against Harleys or Cruisers, but it's a different experience.

Handling seemed to be what I expected from this style of bike. Not quick and agile, but the handling was good. I never felt the bike's handling was a problem, it's handling seem to fit the bike. Even with the low center of gravity you can really feel the weight at speed. This didn't really effect the handling, it would be a problem if the bike was more "sporty".

I never felt like I wanted to "go" and tear through some twisties, or drag a knee. It's just not that kinda of bike. With that in mind, for the most part, I'll avoid comparing the ST1300 to the RoadKing. Execept :), I can do "toolin'" around on the ST, but I can also enjoy "tearin' up some twisties". I don't have that choice on the RK. Could one fix up a RK with more power and better suspension, of course, but I don't think it would match the ST - and again the RK is just a different kind of bike.

So, for me, the only problem with the RK were the brakes. In retrospect, the brakes are bad, really bad. The pads looked fine, and the fluid was supposedly flushed last November. Maybe a bigger reseviour with better hoses to allow for more fluid. The master looked big enough, but maybe it's design is an issue. This would be a deal breaker if I was looking at buying a RK. A big heavy bike should have better brakes.

EDIT: I did have fun riding it...

If only I could own more than one bike. A RoadKing would be there, among a bunch of other bikes ( maybe even a Beemer - maybe ).

Tom de

punk rocka

this space for rent
Bike
'06 ST1300
It's funny that you mention the controls because anytime I am riding anything, I always mentally note that it would be more 'natural' for me if the controls were set up like a Harley! I really miss the thumb button on each side for each signal. I seem to always fumble with the single sliding switch thingy on most other bikes.

I was never overly impressed with the brakes on any of the Harleys I have been on, but like you said, you can't really compare the ST and any Harley. I will say that I feel much more confident in the handling of my ST than I did my Harley, but they were two very different bikes with two different styles.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I rode a co-worker's Road King back to his house for him down side streets and freeways. It was interesting but the brakes thing really became noticeable. I was cruising with freeway traffic (80mph) when everybody started slowing. I did the usual 2 finger brake lever tug just to find it pull all the way into my other fingers with no braking happening. Oh crap!! I'm gaining too quickly on the cars in front of me. I regrip and quickly grab a handful of brake. The lever went to the bar and just slightly started braking. Double Oh Crap!!! I'm now flying at a parking lot of cars that are not moving. I hit the footpedal (which happens to be the size of car pedal) and the rear end instantly locks up. You've got to be kidding me!!! I let off, reapplied the rear brake and managed to scrub off a bit of speed before having to put her between cars to avoid rear-ending anybody. That was a huge sucker to be lane splitting with.....unintentionally, as it were.....:shock:

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #
I didn't get to highway, just tooled around some back roads. I've always figured this is what a bike of this type is for; Just moseying around the countryside taking in the surroundings. This isn't a knock against Harleys or Cruisers, but it's a different experience.

I never felt like I wanted to "go" and tear through some twisties, or drag a knee. It's just not that kinda of bike.

EDIT: I did have fun riding it...

If only I could own more than one bike. A RoadKing would be there, among a bunch of other bikes ( maybe even a Beemer - maybe ).

Tom de
Nice riding impression. I remember some years back on the BMWRT website a thread about wished-for 2nd bikes. The Harley Road King and the naked Suzuki 650 twin topped the list, well above any 2nd type of BMW.

Also, a very knowledgeable long distance rider [Pilgrim] on the BMW site, one who has put many miles on both the beemer and the Harley, has said a rider can have fun riding slow on the Harley, but not on the beemer. It sounds like you experienced this kind of relaxation.

cworley5150

V-4 Convert
Not a slam on HD's (there are a couple I would like to own someday), but they have craptastic brakes. I hear the new XR1200 brakes are an improvement, but still not up to par with similar bikes from other manufacturers.

MotorSam

I get paid to do this!
Bike
ST1300PD issued
RK's are nice...going to and from the store or on a laid back cruise. BUT after riding it (You made some very accurate observations), could you imagine being a motorcop and having to press this brick...uh I mean bike, on acceleration, in the corners, and braking? Whew...:roll:

Top Bottom