PDA

View Full Version : BMW F 800 GS

motorcyclelarry
06-17-2009, 11:05 AM
I have been holding myself back from running out and buying one of the new 800 GS bikes. Everything I looked at besides the price says buy me and drive to south Mexico with it or to Alaska, again.

Anyone have a chance to drive on or comment on the bike.

TY
Larry

wcthalgott
06-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Larry,

I spent 10 days on the "650" version last August riding in Argentina, Uruguay & Brazil. On paved roads it was really nice handling much better than I had expected and was reasonably comfortable for long stints in the saddle. Off-road is another matter. We did about 60 miles of what COULD be called a dirt road and it was work. The peg to bars dimension does not lend itself to standing. At least for me, the bars were too low and I ended up leaning forward. It made it harder to control the bike over rough surfaces. So I guess it will depend on the roads you will encounter.

HTH,

hojo in sc
06-17-2009, 03:43 PM
I only went a few miles on it, I could go more but really don't need to (it's parked next door to me).

The nice thing is that it is chain driven and so you don't have to worry about the final drive going out on you, but then on the other hand, it sounds like BMW has found the problem and is fixing it (quietly). The downside is you have to clean and oil the chain every 500 miles or so.

Stock windscreen is too small for the freeway. I opted to be more cheap with my money and went from a KLR to a DL650. Put Pelican bags on it (can you say bullet proof, as far as dropping the bike), engine guard, skid plate, knobby tires, and now I can go any where and have a lot more $$$ in my pocket.

Hellbilly
06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I had one for about an hour on a test drive up here in Denver. Here is what I sent to a buddy who has ordered one:

1. That small bug screen they call a windshield is amazingly effective. Had it up to 90 and got wind but no turbulence as I do with the ST windshield lowered.
2. Loads of power for a parallel twin. Wheelies are easy and 90 mph cruising speed does not work the engine hard at all.
3. Get the Rally seat. I am 6' tall with a 32" inseam. No problem planting my feet firmly on the ground but with the standard seat my feet landed outside the foot pegs every time I'd stop. Sat on the Rally seat and it's a little taller and firmer. Feet landed right behind pegs when stopped with that seat.
4. Stock tires are great for highway/paved riding but in grass or loose dirt they spin easily. I used 2nd gear starts without bogging the engine, and 3rd gear starts by slipping the clutch a little. This helped the tires in the grass, but you still need knobbies off road.
5. Engine sounds great.
6. Brake reservoir is rubber mounted and vibrates all over the place. A nessecity off road, but distracting none the less.
7. When feet are on pegs with rubber inserts installed, when using the rear brake it feels like your foot is too far "nose down". Removing the rubber inserts will cure that.
8. Brake pedal VERY close to exhaust pipe. Very easy to move it up against the pipe. Although there's a guard for you boot, it's small and you will melt part of your boot.
9. Engine really sounds great!

That's it... hope it helps.

motor2191
06-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah, I had a chance to ride both the F-ST and GS. It's a really nice motor with plenty of torque and it's very smooth (surprisingly). I wish the GS had gone with the belt instead of the chain but I understand the limitations of a belt drive on an "off road" bike. Something that should be pointed out is 50 lbs, that's the difference in weight comparing the 1200 at 504lbs, to the 800 at 455 lbs. That's not a big savings compared to the HP difference. But we all can probably (I said 'PROBABLY') agree that the idea behind these bikes is not going to be turning hot laps at the VIR in leathers either. Though I must confess that I really have fond aspirations of the GS when I look at the Touratech catalog. I can't wait to hit the lotto so that my buddies and I can do one of those "Long Way Around" adventures! What a chance, what memories, what an adventure that would be!

On that note, the other day I was at my dealer when they rolled two (2) identically prepared R1200GS Adventures into the waiting area. Let me tell you that they were LOADED! Everything in the catalog was bolted on those beauties! They told me that a local businessman had purchased these bikes so that he and his long time employee could go on a long ride. WOW! That must be something to be so financially sound that you can walk into your local motorcycle dealer and plop down $50 or $60K on two brand new bikes!

.................................................. ...........................................

Sorry, drifted off in a dream just then, wow 10 minutes! Anyways, I think the F-GS is a nice bike and has been out now for enough to have the quirks worked out. Let us now when you reach Cape Froward, Chile! :woo

hojo in sc
06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Though I must confess that I really have fond aspirations of the GS when I look at the Touratech catalog. I can't wait to hit the lotto so that my buddies and I can do one of those "Long Way Around" adventures! What a chance, what memories, what an adventure that would be!

Then you read this and find out that the same thing can be done on a DL650

http://www.motobrothers.net/motobrothers/

motorcyclelarry
06-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I and a DL-1000 Vstrom and wasen't to impressed with it's ability off road. I bought it in Wilmington NC and drove it to So. Calif. in 4 days, it does go fast. Then I brought it down to Baja Mex for a week and realized that it did a lot better as a street bike than a duel sport bike. I think it is a killer bike for the money and once raced it with Greg from Ojai against my ST-1300 and teh ST wasnt that much faster until 80 but it just isn't that great of a off road bike.
Larry

Carl_T
06-19-2009, 04:13 PM
KLR, DR400/650, XR

Even those are rather lacking but dirt worthy to a degree. The GS isn't likely to be much better than a STrom for dirt. Just sayin' Heck I can ride my 1200 Bandit in the dirt too, but it isn't like the above.

Go dirt wild and get a KTM450EXC :biker: :)

SoloTotoCoyote
06-19-2009, 04:25 PM
Not sure if this up your alley but...... linky (http://http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66376)

hojo in sc
06-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Not sure if this up your alley but...... linky (http://http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66376)

Not sure if your linky is not working cuz I'm using a Hotel wifi or if it just doesn't worky.

MorleyJC
06-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Link didnt work for me either.
Got a friend looking at the 650 GS so just doing some research.

bdalameda
06-22-2009, 03:31 PM
Not a big thing but it just bugs the hell out of me that a BMW is built in Taiwan and commanding the kind of money they are asking. Again - no putdown on the bike itself - I guess that some Mercedes are built in Mexico so I should probably shut-up.

STCPO
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I picked up a 2010 F 800 GS today. Thought about it long and hard before I made the purchase. Love the bike so far and it will fill a nice gap where the ST can't go.

Will give a better report on it after I get a few hundred miles on it.

Cheers,
Pete

bmcdonau
12-08-2009, 09:20 AM
KLR, DR400/650, XR

Even those are rather lacking but dirt worthy to a degree. The GS isn't likely to be much better than a STrom for dirt. Just sayin' Heck I can ride my 1200 Bandit in the dirt too, but it isn't like the above.

Go dirt wild and get a KTM450EXC :biker: :)

Neither of those is an effective road bike. I think most people buying the BMW would do more than half their riding on paved roads and probably fairly high speed roads. Any trip to Alaska will involve 4-5000 miles of 65-70 mph paved roads.

MeanST
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I have been following the bike since its release. No change with the 2010 model which I jumped on at the Long Beach MC show. Apparently FI twin gets great mileage but only has a little over a 4 gallon tank.

At the show TourTech had a neat aux tank for the GS800. Tank holds over 5 gallons which should give the bike extraordinary range............and it only costs ......$1,900. :bow1::bow1:

Phartz
12-08-2009, 07:39 PM
At the show TourTech had a neat aux tank for the GS800. Tank holds over 5 gallons which should give the bike extraordinary range............and it only costs ......$1,900. :bow1::bow1:

That's freakin' insane!!! :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

MeanST
12-08-2009, 07:54 PM
That's freakin' insane!!! :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused: :eek: :confused:

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Oops that must have been a show special...........$1985 now.

Actually called Touratech! Lots of expensive good stuff for the GS types.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/show.lasso?sku=048-0382&-session=touratech:48C7BE891d7853200CNxr10937C5

half_a_tiger
12-09-2009, 03:41 AM
A Scottish expat friend upgraded his GS650 to the new GS800 recently. He liked the power & handling but found oil leaking from 2 different areas at the top half of the engine after just 3000 kms of travel. What does that say to any would-be buyer?