HeatTroller gone bad ?

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
See my message below about outstanding Customer Service

Has anyone else ever seen a HeatTroller controller fail like this ?

While at Americade early last month my Heatroller control for my heated grips stopped working. First the rotary knob became difficult to turn then it completely freed up but was not turning on, just spinning endlessly in either direction.

Mine is installed below the left fairing pocket...looks like oem.

I suspect getting exposed to rain with the rain water running down the shaft of the controls rotary switch led to the eventual failure after just two years, but I really am only guessing.

LOOKING FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS on how to prevent this from happening again when I replace the controller with a new one.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Did yours have the o-ring under the knob? Other than that, I can't really think of anything you could do to seal it better. I've had three mounted so the shafts are horizontal for years, and never had a problem like this. It may just be a freak occurrence. Assuming it's a warm'n'safe brand, email Mike Coan and ask him about it. I've found their tech support to be really good. I had one fail due to a short, and Mike replaced it even though it was out of warranty.

OP
OP
TRICKYRIC5474
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Thanks, I will call Mike Coan next week, see if he can offer any suggestions.

O Ring was in place, it is a warm-n-safe (REAL HeatTroller) brand controller.

set screw was tight, good suggestion as this was the first thing I checked.

Thanks keep info coming...I love this forum !

OP
OP
TRICKYRIC5474
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Re: HeatTroller great customer service !

Tonight I phoned Mike at Warm N Safe (HeatTroller).

We spoke about my problem and Mike is sending me a new unit at no charge. I agreed to send him my inoperable unit so he can check it out to determine what caused this very rare failure.

I want to be clear that I have recommended the Heat Troller many, many times and will continue to do so. This malfunction (VERY rare for a Heat Troller to fail) may be due to a faulty unit or may have been due to some mistake I made during install...Mike should be able to determine which, but either way they are replacing the unit for free. You certaintly can't ask for better customer service than that!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Hmm. maybe a mechanical failure of the potentiometer.:shrug2:As for water getting in if you pull the knob off can you get to the o-ring.
A little o-ring grease might help there.

Top Bottom