Heated Gloves vs Heated Grips

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
So, I am fishing for some opinions on heated gloves vs heated grips. Do you need both? Does one work better than the other?

Right now I use a heated vest and lots of insulation. For my hands I use thick gloves and carry a couple of chem packs. These have served me down to 17F, but not comfortably. At 30 they are comfortable. (Well, Actually Right now.... well I live in Tennessee. Right Now, I use Under-armor and mesh with ventilatde gloves! )

This Southern Boy be in need of advise. Thanks.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Jack, I have both. NOt because I really wanted heated grips, but they came with the new Wing. When it's a bit chilly and I don't stop to put on the heated gloves, the grips are nice. However, on my 0 degree run from ACL's to Canton last year, I didn't have them on the old Wing and they certainly would have been handy to supplement the gloves.

Bike
BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I've never had heated grips, so I can't speak to the comparison, but I can give a strong endorsement for the Gerbing G3 heated gloves. In temps as low as 28 derees (F), which is considered pretty darn cold in Texas, my hands were very comfortable. With just the Gerbing jacket liner on at those temps, I couldn't even have it turned to the highest setting as it made me too warm.

My feet...that's a whole different story, but you didn't ask about that :)

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I do not have heated grips but I use Gerbings heated gloves pants jacket and socks and I ride all winter if there is no ice on the roads. The gloves warm your entire hand the grips just your palm. The nice thing about the grips is they are always with you, if you get cold just turn em on. I will stick with the gloves for now.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have both. The grips are nice those times when you didn't 'think' it was gonna be cool that morning and so you didn't bring the gloves. They don't work as well as the gloves by any measure but are nice for those 'surprising' mornings...

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have the grips but the cold air hits the outside/back of your hands so even with a good pair of insulated gloves my fingers still get cold.

If I had to choose one over the other, it would be heated gloves.

I dont have heated gear but the only thing I would seem to need would be the gloves to keep the backs of the hands warm. I am not cold anywhere else, even riding in the cold (under 30 degrees) I usualy just add an extra layer on top and I am good.

I have both. As Joe said the grips are nice on those surprise rides but the gloves are better. My gloves (Tourmaster) will take me down to about 20*. I rode in 9* temps with both on and I was nice and warm.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
+1 Joe's comments... had the grips on the Wing, but they don't warm up the top of your hands when it's freezing ;) Go with gloves :)

I have the Honda heated grips on the '08 and have only had them on once during a really ugly thunderstorm. They worked well on low setting. The dealer said to not use them on high without gloves as they would burn your hands. I'll accept his advice untested. I don't yet know how they will perform with the deflectors/extensions on the mirrors and fairing in cold weather. The information on the heated gloves will also be considered. Any suggestions on a heated vest? I'll need one for my co-pilot. She never complains, but it's better when she's happy.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have heated grips. As others mentioned it can only do so much as the cold air hits the back of your hand and fingers. Some people use hand guards from dual sports like the VFR. This helps protect the hands from the wind. Another option are those big mitt things that go over the bar ends. I think George uses those on his 1100.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have heated grips on both my bikes and use them regularly. Yesterday, the afternoon temp was well over 90, but at first light when I ventured out on my Versys it was in the low 60's. I had my mesh jacket on and in the sun it was refreshingly cool, but when I went up the mountain I hit fog that stayed with me for about half an hour. The temp wasn't that much cooler, but there was no sun and fog penetrates mesh and cools you quite a bit. I put my grip heaters on low and it was enough to keep my hands warm and send some warmed blood back up my arms. Saved me a stop to put in a jacket liner and another to take it out.

I'm thinking heated gloves will be a good addition, however. The Gerbings G3's look like a good choice.

pretbek

Ŵΐļļ ŗĭδέ ∫ỗґ Ŧщịştịέş
Bike
Super Tenere
STOC #
Go with both.

I have the heated grips and can vouch for their effectiveness and the fact that you always have them with you.
("Honey, you forgot your grips again! Do you want me to bring over the entire handlebars or just the grips?")

I do not have heated gloves, but I do have cold fingers when it is close to freezing and I ride with Held Steve gloves (good gloves, but no winter mittens) and silk glove liners and the grip heaters on.

In stead of Gerbing G3's I might just go with grip covers to keep the cold wind off of my fingers. Then I can continue to ride with my sublimely comfy Held Steves. :D

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
You live in Tennessee, why do you need heated gear?:D I echo the comments of others, but the grips are nice for unexpected temps. I've used my heated grips in a spring rain wearing summer gloves just to knock the chill off. Now in Wisconsin,,,,,,,, in February,,,,,,,,

OP
OP
PopJack

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
You live in Tennessee, why do you need heated gear?
Ok, I'll be honest here. My HOUSE is in Tennessee, but I LIVE the most when I'm on the road.

(Hows that for Corny?)

Thanks for the great information.

dual heat troller-
one for gloves and socks the other for vest.works good at 28 degree days rides.

scott830

Scott TH
Ramsgate, Kent, UK and Portsmouth, Hampshire, UK
Bike
ST1100 Police
STOC #
I use both heated grips and Gerbing gloves. One bit of advice is, I would recommend having either a switch available to turn off the gloves or a temperature controller. They can get mighty hot!!!!

Riding in up to -9c in the UK. Gloves are good but without heated grips the palms of your hands will get cold. That is were the grips really help.

Have fun and ride safe

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I have heated grips on my ST1300, DR650 and my ATV.
I use summer gloves until it gets real cold (I just bought my first pair of winter gloves last winter).
I don't like bulky gloves, so I've been wearing summer gloves for the last 40 years.

I also have a Gerbing's heated liner that I can connect to all three.
I have a permanent dual Heat-Troller on the ST and a portable unit for the other 2.

I try not to ride below 40.

Top Bottom