Dual-Star heated grip users

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Hey, guys. Looking for some feedback from all you Dual-Star heated grip users. Good? Bad? Have you used other heated grip options to compare?

Thanks!

Thom

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I don't have them on my ST yet, but do have them on my KTM. Great grip heaters.
Debating on those or the factory ones myself.

Probably will go with DS's because of cost.

STOC #
Installed Dual Stars a few years ago and really like them. Used the "base" toggle switch for Hi or Lo heat. Haven't used others to compare to, but I will say that these keep my hands warm down into the 20's.

Bike
2008 VStrom 650
I have the Symtecs which are identical to the Dual Stars and they are hooked up with a Heat-troller variable control. These things have worked great for over four years now and are half the cost of the Hondalines and you can also have your choice of grips with them.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used a set for three years on my ST. Nothing else to compare to but I am statisfied so far. Yes I live in Florida, but it is NORTH Florida and I ride thru the winter with high 20's into 30's temps and they work great.

OP
OP
throxy
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the prompt feedback, guys. I love this site!

At under $40 for the basic kit, these seem like a no brainer based on the feedback. Given that everything else seems to be triple the cost, I was worried that they were one of those too good to be true deals.

Throttlejockey and Richd, I'm always looking for new roads in the area to explore, as well as riding partners. Let me know if you're interested in hitting the road at some point in the future.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
The symtech's are about $35ish honda grips at WAY more than that. A few have reported oem failures.

I think both the symtec or dual star have two heating elements in each heater.
You can feed em with a spdt switch (supplied) instead of a pwm heatroller.
I have the symech and haven't seen any use for more than the 2 high and low settings. ymmv.

As long as you have the grips off I'd throw on a pair of BMW grips. Skip the honda bond rtv epoxy etc. to glue the grips on. I used alcohol to lube the grip and bar and they slid right on.
Some use hair spray.

They are cheaper because your aren't paying for the honda name, a molded grip with imbedded heater wires and the controller. I believe the elements are also available separately if you cook one. OEM you're looking at more $$.

If you have a compressor shoot some air under the grip they slide right off. Otherwise slit em with a razor and peel them off. Just dont cut into the throttle tube.

I've had Dual Star heated grips since I bought the bike in '06 and no problems and would highly recommend them.

OP
OP
throxy
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for your help, everyone. RichD is going to let me take a look at his install over the weekend. This seems like a $35 no brainer, though. Why the heck would you pay for OEM grips, or any grip where the heating element is built in, when this is such a cheap option?

OP
OP
throxy
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
BTW, HoJo... Moto marshaling at Univest next weekend. I'll be sure to use the tips you gave me back in the Tour de France post several weeks back.

OP
OP
throxy
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
One more question... What's the best way to provide power to these? I have a Honda wiring harness that I never hooked up and I have an EasternBeaver fuse box with plenty of open ports installed under the passenger seat. Does it make sense to install the harness just for this and if so, do I need any special connectors to attach the Dual-Star's wiring to the harness?

It depends. Is the fuse block hooked up such that when the moto is turned OFF, the fuse block is OFF? I sure wouldn't want to power my heated grips to anything that could cause it stay on without the key being on, you never know when someone might come along and say "hey, I wounder what that switch does".

Good luck at the Univest race, did the US Pro Championship this weekend and had a wild, great time. (a) don't forget your sunscreen (b) empty your bladder BEFORE the race, not always time to do so DURING the race (c) ZERO your odometer at the START line (find out where the start line is, sometimes the race starts several miles away from the starting point. (d) it's a good idea to use a GPS and ZERO it at the start line, as all ST drives know, the mileage is NOT accurate. (e) bring snacks on the moto.

OP
OP
throxy
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
It depends. Is the fuse block hooked up such that when the moto is turned OFF, the fuse block is OFF?
I have 6 switched fuses and 2 unswitched fuses on my fusebox, most of which are available. I was planning on running these through one of the switched fuses. I just wasn't sure if it was worth pulling the extra tupperware to connect the harness and connect the grip wiring to that since it's at the front of the bike.

Not to mention, I'm unsure on how to connect the grip wires to the harness. I seem to recall the harness having a plastic plug-like connector on either end and I'm sure the Dual-Star wiring does not terminate with a matching plug. What would I do in that situation? Posi-tap? Splice?

Oh, and thanks for the tips on the race. I hope I'll need sunscreen. The race has been rained on the past three years!

I would put the grips to the harness under the seat (I think that is where you said you put it) and not to the Quartet Harness, that way if a fuse would ever blow for whatever reason, it is EASY to get to. You do NOT have to pull the tank up in order to run the wires if you don't want to.

Once you get the switch where you want, you can 'work around' the tupperware by pulling on the plastic so that the wires will tuck under the plastic and tank. Then the next time you do have the tank off to replace the air filter, you can tuck it even more if you feel the need.

Oh, do you have an orange flag on a small stick? At some of the races they hand them out, not always to the moto marshalls though. If you were to come up to a road that has a Blvd. and it is NOT 'manned', you should park your motorcycle in a safe positon (perhaps on the Blvd waaaayyyyy back, or way off to the side of the road), and stand on the Blvd waving the flag left and right, that way the riders know they have to go left or right around the Blvd.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the prompt feedback, guys. I love this site!

At under $40 for the basic kit, these seem like a no brainer based on the feedback. Given that everything else seems to be triple the cost, I was worried that they were one of those too good to be true deals.

Throttlejockey and Richd, I'm always looking for new roads in the area to explore, as well as riding partners. Let me know if you're interested in hitting the road at some point in the future.
Sept. 13th I'm heading up to RICE-O-RAMA http://rice-o-rama.com/
Maybe hit up Larz Anderson Museum on the way back.
http://www.larzanderson.org/Topics/Topic.cfm?TopicName=Show Event&CFID=381449&CFTOKEN=33722853&CalendarEventId=48

OP
OP
throxy
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
OP
OP
throxy
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
Easier than it looks, remove the screws and split the halves, use a step drill and make a 3/4 hole in the top, pre-wire the switch(SYMTEC), install with some J-B weld. I would recommend 16Ga. wire, it is heavy enough if you use relays, don't forget (1) relay for low, and (1) ralay for high. willy
BTW, if you'll remove your top and send it to me with the switch, I'll send you a spare I have ready to install with switch mounted.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
You might want to do something like this for the switch.
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=49638&d=1248034517 willy
That is one fine installation!! I know what my next project is...:headbang: I've been planning on installing some symtec grip heaters and have been agonizing on where to install the switch...Problem solved!

Do I need anything else that does not come with the Grip heaters for a good installation? I think I may need to start considering a fuzeblock...

Top Bottom