Hot Grips... HELP

Bike
2012 FJR
I am going replace my existing handle bar with Heli bars on my '01 ST.

Does anyone have any experience removing the Hot Grips to salvage them for reuse? I assume that they were installed per instructions.

Thanks

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
It looks like the instructions specify epoxy to bond them to the bar and throttle sleave so I don't know if they can be taken off. If you have to cut them off hopefully you can salvage the throttle sleave.

Hopefully somebody will chime in with some practical experience.

STOC #
I had no problem removing mine. I had to heat the grip up by wiring it up directly to the battery IIRC. I let it cook for 5-10 mins and she twisted right off. I got the directions from calling Hot Grips.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I had no problem removing mine. I had to heat the grip up by wiring it up directly to the battery IIRC. I let it cook for 5-10 mins and she twisted right off. I got the directions from calling Hot Grips.
Sounds like a good plan. They are more likely to be stuck harder on the left bar being that it is metal. The plastic throttle tube may not be bonded as hard..... but let them get hot and I think you'll be OK.
When I installed mine I used epoxy, but on later bikes, I used high temp RTV gasket maker (not a lot). They will be fun to get off, but I don't ever expect to find out!!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Yeah this was pretty much my idea that I relayed to him on the phone.

I also mentioned that he really doesn't need to take the right grip off the plastic sleeve. If he can get the left off and move that to the new bars the right one can stay on the plastic sleeve and move the entire thing over. No need to take it off when he is going to put it right back on.

He mentioned that someone may be interested in the old bars and hot grips. If that is the case he can get a new set and leave the old ones on the old bars. I have an extra plasic sleeve that I don't need so it should work out either way.

Top Bottom