Heated Seat DIY

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hey Joe, with the temps that we've had around here, I can see why you posted this.:D

My car's going in the shop tomorrow and it'll be the bike for the rest of the week.:eek::

Dennis

Bike
ST1100
I don't know if this will be of any help, but I bought a BMW r1200rt earlier this year. The seats were excruciating after a couple of hours on the road. We took the saddles to an upholsterer who tried everything to improve matters, but to no avail, so we ended up taking out the heater elements. That worked, mostly...
The point I was going to make is that the heater elements are just a resistance wire stuck between two layers of clear film with a connector that joins the wiring loom. I think this should be simple enough to copy, the whole mat was buried under a quarter inch of foam, with the seat cover over the top. When I get home tonight, I'll post some pictures.
alternatively, http://www.checkcorp.com/seat-heater/specialized_apps_motorcycle.asp does a range of ready made.
On the BMW the wire runs through a hole in the foam & seat base to connect under the saddle.

Spencer put one in for me for a trial run, the last I heard he does not sell them. You can get them from riderwarehouse.com, pull out the staples, slide the element in, then restaple the vinyl cover back down. The heated seat is absolultely wonderful and draws so very little power.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I'd think the same construction as the home-made heated vest would work. Need to do a two-prong SAE plug to provide power on a removeable seat (like ours.)
Electric Vest recipe.

Sue is in Chicago land, I'm the one who passed the instructions to her, originally copied (is that an oxymoron? :D) from an old Road Rider magazine.

Top Bottom