Question on Gerbing's Heated Insoles

I'm thinking of replacing my 15 year old Gerbing's liners. I see they have stopped making socks and only have heated insoles. Has anyone any experience with the insoles?

Thanks,

Len

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I have a pair. I've only used them a couple of times, but they seem to work well. They slip in my boots in place of the original insoles, and the cord doesn't seem noticeable. They're also comfortable to walk on, as the wires under your feet are buried in the insole. I think that they'll work best with leather boots (as opposed to a fabric & leather combination) as the heat rises to surround your foot.

OP
OP
lenparkin
Roger,

What where the conditions when you used the insoles? Temperature, Rain and/or Wind?

Thanks,

Len

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I believe that the coldest was around thirty degrees or a little lower. I had on cloth and leather boots, which let more wind through and didn't retain the heat as much as I think full leather would have. I think that the wind is probably irrelevant at eighty miles per hour. I didn't have them anywhere near maximum on the controller. I haven't used them in the rain, but I think that it would be ice if it were cold enough to use them. The jacket liner is the first thing I put on, followed by the pant liners, followed by the G3 gloves, followed by the insoles. It has to be pretty cold to use the insoles, but I think it's better to have them than wish you did. You can always turn them down or off. I'd suggest starting out with a low setting on the insoles, and letting the inside of the boot heat uniformly. If you crank it all the way up, the bottom of your feet will get too hot before the tops warm up.

OP
OP
lenparkin
Roger,

Thanks for the input. My Gerbing's equiipment is 15 years old and working well. I think it's time to replace it and the Micro Wire technology looks interesting. I spoke with someone who was riding with the old style liner. He stopped at a dealer and bought a Micro Wire liner. He said it's a world of difference.

Len

JZH

International Bodger
This thread brings back memories...of intense pain! First time I relied on my Gerbing heated socks was during a "must-do" ride from Holland to Tuebingen in southern Germany in November. I had just picked up the bike from the port and had to be back at my course at the University the next day. I had planned ahead, bought the socks, tested the fit in my boots, and sorted out the wiring.

However, what I had not anticipated was the cumulative effect, over several hours, of those little heating wires being compressed into my skin by the confines of the leather boot. At first it was merely uncomfortable, but I needed the warmth. Then it became rather worrying, but I had a ways to go...but by the time I could stop again in a rest area off the Autobahn, I couldn't even walk!

Fortunately, the problem was easily solved by removing the insoles from my boots, which eliminated the pressure and felt almost orgasmic in comparison! :p:

This is no criticism of the Gerbing socks, which I went on to use on several other off-season tours within Europe--they did exactly what they were supposed to do, and felt just lovely the rest of the time. I'm surprised Gerbing has discontinued the socks, though. Like the difference between heated grips and heated gloves, I doubt there is a real comparison with heated liners.

Ciao,

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I think that the "walking on the wires" probably played into Gerber switching insoles for socks. Since heat rises, and the insoles are in a confined space, I imagine that they'll work better than grip warmers (which are on my list to install, when I get around to it.)

JZH

International Bodger
I think that the "walking on the wires" probably played into Gerber switching insoles for socks. Since heat rises, and the insoles are in a confined space, I imagine that they'll work better than grip warmers (which are on my list to install, when I get around to it.)
I expect you're right--insoles will work better than heated grips--but mainly because your feet are always in contact with the bottom of your boot, whereas your fingers are sometimes not even in contact with the grips (and then there's the glove in between...)

Ciao,

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Wouldnt the designed purpose be to use both, my new gen socks only have wires on top so I dont walk on them. In combo with soles you could have surround sound heat if you will..May feels toasty just thinking about it. I tend to carry my socks in winter but have yet to stop and put em on. Like heated grips, your soles would always be in there just in case. No need to stop and remove boots, just turn em on..

RCS

I'm thinking of replacing my 15 year old Gerbing's liners. I see they have stopped making socks and only have heated insoles. Has anyone any experience with the insoles?

Thanks,

Len
I use insoles from hotronic.com. They work because your toes need inperceptable heat to keep the circulation going to the extremity - the toes. They keep my feet nice and toasty down to at least 18 degrees F. They do this not with creating heat for the foot but rather keeping a heat source under the toes to keep the warm circulation flowing.

Never had a problem with burning.

I may go to Gerbing at some point since their powersource is the battery/alternator instead of a separate - read bulky - battery like the hotronic unit.

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
How big a PITA is routing the wires for heated footware? I'm considering adding insoles to the arsenal. willy

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
How big a PITA is routing the wires for heated footware? I'm considering adding insoles to the arsenal. willy
If it's cold enough to warrant the heated insoles, I imagine that you'll already have the heated pant liners on. The insoles plug into the pants at the cuff; it's no hassle at all. I run the insole wires up the inboard side of my boot, and just tuck the connector into my bootlaces if I'm not wearing the pant liners (like when I stop for meals.) You'll forget that you have them in/on.

OP
OP
lenparkin
A local dealer had an open house with everything in stock 20% off. I was able to get the micro wire pants liner, jacket liner plus the dual control. They didn't have the insoles or T-5 gloves in stock.

I'm going to get the gloves when they come in and continue to use the socks I have till I can get more user info on the insoles.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I also use othotics. I planned on not wearing them with the insoles. Mine are fiberglass. I think some are leather and may work better with the insoles.

Len

RCS

I have a pair. I've only used them a couple of times, but they seem to work well. They slip in my boots in place of the original insoles, and the cord doesn't seem noticeable. They're also comfortable to walk on, as the wires under your feet are buried in the insole. I think that they'll work best with leather boots (as opposed to a fabric & leather combination) as the heat rises to surround your foot.
I'm thinking of buying some Gerbing heated insoles too. I have a dual heat controller. How do you connect the insoles to my Gerbing Gloves and Gerbing (Generation 1) Jacket Liner? Also, where did you purchase your set?

(Presently, I'm using heated insoles from Hotronic. They work great but on rides longer than 6 hours I have to change batteries and carry a second set. Not fun since my rides are 11 hours long.)

Top Bottom