Controlling Gerbing Gloves

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'm thinking about getting some of the new microwire Gerbing gloves. I hear that you want to be able to control the heat separately from the jacket so you don't cook your hands.

I plug my jacket into a BMW port that has a permanently mounted Heatroller control inline so I can adjust my heat to the jacket.

If I get gloves, I understand they connect to the plugs at the end of the sleeves. What I want to do is control the heat on those gloves separately with a portable Heatroller (I have one already) but with a single power input for the whole setup, preferably the power input from the jacket.

My jacket has a second plug inside, next to the power in cord. It's a female plug with a small yellow cord tag that reads ACCESSORY. I figure that would be for heated pants.

So how do I control those gloves?

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
It would be a PITA but you could use the Y cable that comes with the gloves. You have to run it down both sleeves and then to the gloves. That's the only way to have the gloves on their own controller. :(

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
If you have two male plugs in the jacket, one is for the gloves, pants, and sox and the other is for the jacket. Since you have a single controller as well as the hard wired one you should be able to control the gloves with the portable and the jacket with the hard wired one. My Gerbing's jacket is set up with two male plugs for the controller and one female plug for the pants to connect to the jacket. You will have to connect the portable controller to your battery to power the gloves.

indypup

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
If you have two male plugs in the jacket, one is for the gloves, pants, and sox and the other is for the jacket. Since you have a single controller as well as the hard wired one you should be able to control the gloves with the portable and the jacket with the hard wired one. My Gerbing's jacket is set up with two male plugs for the controller and one female plug for the pants to connect to the jacket. You will have to connect the portable controller to your battery to power the gloves.
Hmm I think I got jipped then, my gerbing jacket only has one male plug that controls everything. The jacket is only a couple of years old too.

I don't have a PDU (power distribution unit) either ? This must be something new since I purchase mine. :(

How old is your jacket Mac?

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Hmm, my gerbings jacket only has one male plug that controls everything. The jacket is only a couple of years old too.
Mine has two plugs: male that takes power from the bike's power port and female with the tag ACCESSORY. Maybe I can't do what I want with the jacket I have.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Hmm, my gerbings jacket only has one male plug that controls everything. The jacket is only a couple of years old too.
I have a Gerbing's single plug jacket and a Warm-n-Safe single plug jacket. My "go-to" jacket is the new dual pliug one.

indypup

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Mine has two plugs: male that takes power from the bike's power port and female with the tag ACCESSORY. Maybe I can't do what I want with the jacket I have.

Same here. You'd have to run the Y cable to power the gloves separately then. PITA though. :(

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Huh? ... You on meds again?
Oh my now, I have to explain to the world. I sent my single plug jacket to Gerbing's for repair and it got cold before I got it back so I bought another jacket (Signature model 'cause the shop didn't have my size in the regular jacket and I needed to be warm right now). Then out of the goodness of her heart, Carole gave me a Warm-n-Safe jacket. So now I have 3 electric jackets. I also have 2 pairs of gloves and two pairs of heated pants!!! And don't ask any more!!!

And I don't take MEDS!!!

indypup

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Hmm, my jacket seems to have gotten smaller over the years so it might be time for a new one anyway. ;)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just when you think you're setup..... they add features.. ugh.. LOL

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
BONES - If I remember correctly, GERBING will 'rewire' the jacket so the accesory plug works for the gloves. You might just e-mail them and see what it costs.
Thanks, Phil. I see on their site the jackets currently offered have a Power Distribution Unit, which mine lacks. That might be what I need.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
BONES - If I remember correctly, GERBING will 'rewire' the jacket so the accesory plug works for the gloves. You might just e-mail them and see what it costs.
I emailed them to see if they'd do that for me.

My jacket has always been just right at temps into the 20's.. my gloves have always been much hotter and that has been a pain and I've typically just not used them... I have a controller so it would be nice to dial them down a notch.

I'll post when I get a reply.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
Maybe this linky will help explain things. I got my liner about 2.5 years ago and I think they were just rolling out this connector at the time.

Top Bottom