Is Gerbing Microwire Jacket Better ?????

Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
I recently purchased a new Gerbing Microwire technology liner.

I was NOT unhappy with my older (5 years old, wires & THINSULATE in liner) liner but I figured that the newer technology (advertised as being thinner & lighter) would be better. Unfortunately, I sold my older liner when I purchased my new Microwire liner.

The new liner does NOT have Thinsulate it. the Microwire is in pads that are sewn onto the nylon liner.

The first time I rode with the NEW Microwire liner (covered by an Olympia AST jacket) in 40 F......I felt uneven temperatures inside my Olympia AST jacket. The area under my arms, armpits, and sides of my torso were cold (due to cold air hitting the area...where there was thinsulate in the old jacket liner).

This happened everytime I rode with the new liner in cooler temps.
I finally had to layer (which Gerbing does NOT recommend)under my jacket liner so that I would have a insulating layer under my arms and sides of my torso.

BTW...the new microwire heats INCREDIABLY WELL. No complaints with the heat output, just the uneven heat inside the liner.

If the new liners had thinsulate under ther the arms and the sides of the torso....the liner would be PERFECT.

I called Gerbings and they told me that people complained the jackets were too hot so the don't put thinsulate under the arms or sides of torso anymore)

This is fine if you don't ride in cooler weather or at highway speeds (60 mph and up). I'm a sport touring rider who rides in all temp ranges and this new liner (without thisulate under the arms and on sides of torso) does not work for...the way it is.

Gerbing offered to sew heated pads onto the torso sides of the jacket for $25 per side($50). This still doesn't address the cold underarms in a cold crosswind).

I asked to have Thinsulate sewn under the arms and torso sides. The person who could authorize this was away until the end of the month so I haven't haven't spoken to her yet.

This NOT a slam on Gerbing (I LOVE their products)as we are still working on this issue.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with the new Microwire Tech jacket liner from Gerbings?

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
That's an interesting problem. I'm planning on purchasing a Gerbing's liner on Saturday. Cyclegadgets is getting a large shipment this Friday so I assume all of their new stock will be the latest version (microwire). I am now wondering if they have any older versions I can compare before I purchase a new liner. Hmmmmmm.
Mike

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
My next jacket is likely the AST. This has a insulating liner correct?
Is this jacket particularly drafty.

The plain old wire warm n safe (powerlet badged) liner with my beater rocket alter ego works well in 20s. Does the new micro wire style have less even heat?

RCS

In reading the Gerbing literature, they suggest having a windproof layer over their jacket liner and insole electric garments. I'm not familiar with the Olympia Jacket. Is it windproof?

From Gerbings FAQ's:

Q: Can I wear my liner as an outer jacket?
A: Not when you are riding. The fabric and stitching are not made to withstand excessive wind, but are instead meant to be worn under a wind-resistant jacket. You may wear them as an outer jacket when walking around.

tankster64

tankSTer
Bike
06 ST1300
This thread made me go to Gerbing website to look at there clothing. Been considering some for awhile. Noticed the president of Gerbing was an ST rider or at least had his picture taken with one. You all probably knew that. But for what it is worth this is article with picturehttp://www.gerbing.com/message.php

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yes, and he's a member of the site as well.

OP
OP
Purm1300
Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
The AST is a fine jacket (has been for me) and is completely windproof and waterproof.
It has a great liner (not heated) that I don't use with the AST jacket.

I have always used my Gerbing liner (my older Gerbing liner WITH Thinsulate in the entire liner) as my travel liner......and it worked perfectly......along with the option of tuning in some heat if the temps drop.

When a cold wind blows against the AST(outside shell) and the Gerbing new Microwire liner, there is no insulation or heat under the arms and side of your body...only 1 layer of uninsulated Cordura (AST) and 1 layer of uninsulated nylon.

My old liner had Thinsulate in the Gerbing liner under my arms and side of body and I NEVER felt the cold.

I'm sure we'll (Gerbing) we'll come to a satifactory solution. Gerbings have always been excellent to deal with in the past.

Andy

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
My wife and I just purchased our new Gerbing Micro Liners last week. We have Niverna Honda jackets and pants. Now we only had fifty degree weather so far and they seem ok. But I will let you know how they are when the temp really dips.;)

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Curious what it was about the older Gerbing you didnt like? I love mine and the wires in it have never really bothered me. I usually dont wear it unless its really cold, at which time I wear a nice base layer underneath. The only time I feel hot spots or cold spots is if Im getting a draft thru an opening somewhere. Mine is the newer dual controller coat , not sure if its different from the single control in other ways..Nothing like being able to ride in single digits and being all toasty warm.

OP
OP
Purm1300
Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
The only thing I didn't like on my older style liner was the long wires that used to hang down when I unplugged it from the controller.
I usually upgrade my riding gear every few years and just thought that the new technology and liner would be step up.

The new liner with microwire heats up much faster than my old liner.....that's the only improvement...in my opinion.

OP
OP
Purm1300
Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
UPDATE FROM GERBINGS!!

I spoke with Tina at Gerbings today.

She told me Gerbings would NOT put Thinsulate into my liner under the arms or sides of my liner.

She suggested that Gerbing would be willing to sew in more heating pads (2 in the sides and 2 under the arms....if there is room!!!)......at a cost of $20 per pad ($80 total).... PLUS $35/HR labour charges.
She estimated 2 hours to sew in the 4 pads ($70 total labour).....PLUS $10.50 for shipping.

SO....is it worth $160.50 U.S.!!!!!!!!.....I think not.

I still don't think this will fix my problem.....I'll just have to continue to layer under my liner ...in really cold weather.

I still think that Gerbings is a fine company.....although I believe other Riders in the Northern States or Canada who ride in colder temps will find this temperature imbalance in the new Microwire liner....because Gerbing no longer lines their liners with Thinsulate.

Andy

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
The only thing that I would start to complain about with my older Gerbing liner is that the inside of the upper arms don't have heating elements and that area gets cold below 35 degrees F inside my RC - If the new liner has less protection in that area, there would be a problem. If they can add heat to that area, this new microwire liner would be worth considering.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Curious what it was about the older Gerbing you didnt like? I love mine and the wires in it have never really bothered me. I usually dont wear it unless its really cold, at which time I wear a nice base layer underneath. The only time I feel hot spots or cold spots is if Im getting a draft thru an opening somewhere. Mine is the newer dual controller coat , not sure if its different from the single control in other ways..Nothing like being able to ride in single digits and being all toasty warm.
How do you layer? My brief experience with Gerbing gear is that somehow the heat gets sucked out. I think the recommendation is a base layer, to prevent getting burned by individual wires, Gerbing, and a wind proof covering. Using AST jacket and pants over the Gerbing, that doesn't seem to be enough. Another recommendation is to have it close fitting; don't know how to do that with the pants, which seem larger enough to go over jeans.

John-

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
JOHN - If the Gerbing stuff (and pretty much any other heated gear that I know of) does not fit fairly snug, the heat transfer is poor. That's where WarmNSafe got it right - they have elastic in their jacket liner for those who have expanding and sometime contracting torsos! ;-) If it's really cold out, I'll put a standard fleece lined jacket or a fleece pullover over the Gerbing jacket to keep the heat in under my Aerostich. My First Gear mesh has a windproof liners that also work for keeping the heat in.

Bike
2007 ST1300
This is intersting because the list of features for Gerbing's microwire jacket liner includes "compressible, water-repellant, durable, Thinsulate insulation". This is from a page on their website... here

Does your liner include any insulation at all, or is it just missing from the areas you mentioned?

OP
OP
Purm1300
Bike
2014 BMW 1200 GSW
STOC #
I brought this point up when I spoke with Gerbings. I was told that the microwire was sewn onto Thinsulate pads.

Checking my jacket.....I don't think it is Thinsulte that the microwire is sewn onto. It seems too thin.

Andy

Top Bottom