Gerbing Pant Liner question...

RCS

I've now got the G3 Gloves, jacket liner, and insoles. Now I'm thinking why not purchase the pant liner too to make a complete set.

A couple of questions.

(1) I have Motoport Air Kelvar pants (with lotsa armor) and was wondering how thin the Gerbing pant liners are -- will they fit under the pants with the rain liner?

(2) Do I have to wear something between the Gerbing pant liners and my skin?

(3) I was wondering if it is smart to wire the pants (44 watts) and insoles (15 watts) on the same heat controller -- wondering if one will get much hotter than the other at the same heat controller setting?

NoBull

Twisties are your friend
Bike
CRF450X
STOC #
Pants are pretty thin much like the jacket. I would suggest wearing something underneath yes, Ive found on a few occasions the heating elements can get bunched up or pulled tight around the knees while riding, causing a hot spot. Wearing a good base layer or jeans underneath prevents this. I use the socks rather than insoles and never really had any issues with them on the same controller. I did have to get extensions however, the socks barely reached the pant liner outlet. So when I would swing my leg over the bike the socks would come unplugged. A short extension solved this.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
The old style (non-"microwire") pant liners are thin enough to go under riding pants, but I'd also suggest something underneath them. The cords on my insoles are plenty long to reach the plug-ins on the pants.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I wear my Pant liners over my jeans, and when I have my mesh pants on, I put my rain pants over the mesh, rather than use the liner. My gloves, pants, and sox come of one part of my dual controller and the jacket comes off the other.

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

I wear my Pant liners over my jeans, and when I have my mesh pants on, I put my rain pants over the mesh, rather than use the liner. My gloves, pants, and sox come of one part of my dual controller and the jacket comes off the other.
That is an interesting approach and will probably work in very cold temps...

First layer - thermal underware
Second layer - gerbing pant liner
Third (protective) layer - motoport air kevlar pants
Fourth (wind protection) layer - rain pants

What rain pants do you suggest to fit over the air kevlar's?

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
(3) I was wondering if it is smart to wire the pants (44 watts) and insoles (15 watts) on the same heat controller -- wondering if one will get much hotter than the other at the same heat controller setting?
You'd have to try it to know for sure but one being 44watts and the other being 15watts shouldn't be an issue. The controller can handle that and I wouldn't expect the power difference to be seen as a proportional temperature difference. IOW the pants need more power to get to the same temperature as the insoles.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
FWIW, I have the old Gerbing with coax connectors and run the pants and the socks on one controller line and the jacket and gloves on the other controller (Gerbing dual controller). No problems at with this setup. I usually wear fleece pants and pullover underneath the Gerbing and it works really well. I've found the First Gear Rainmain jacket and pants fits very nicely over my First Gear Air II riding gear (and I have the double pads in the Air II).

OP
OP
RCS

RCS

FWIW, I have the old Gerbing with coax connectors and run the pants and the socks on one controller line and the jacket and gloves on the other controller (Gerbing dual controller). No problems at with this setup. I usually wear fleece pants and pullover underneath the Gerbing and it works really well. I've found the First Gear Rainmain jacket and pants fits very nicely over my First Gear Air II riding gear (and I have the double pads in the Air II).
These approaches make a lot of sense with the Motoport Air Kevlar outfit. It was feeling a bit tight in cold weather with all the liners (thermal underware, rain liners, and gerbing jacket liner) packed underneath the Air Kevlar outfit.

In cold weather (35 degree F and colder), I will leave the Motoport liners at home. Instead, I'll wear Gerbing Jacket and Pant liners with a rain suit over the Air Kevlar outfit to block rain/wind. I should have more physical flexibility and more flexibility in terms of temperature control - on 11 hour rides.

In terms of wiring, I'll have Gerbing rewire the single plug jacket to a dual plug so that I can connect the Gloves, Pant Liner, and Insoles on one temp controller and the Jacket liner on another. This should be a much better and more flexible/comfortable set-up.

Thanks for all the great input...

Top Bottom