Symtec Grip Heaters

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Just before I get ready to slap the Symtec grip heaters on the bike (got them in yesterday), does it make sense to "insulate" the left handbar with scrinktubing or similar to avoid heatloss to the handlebar? Or is the heatloss so marginal I won't even feel a difference?

STOC #
I didn't insulate and it's fine. I love my heat. It's hard to compare the left and right hands anyway, because they actually cycle hot-warm-hot-warm and they are not always cycling at the same time. I wouldn't worry about the insulation. Just my 2$. I'm sure others will argue.

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
No insulation for me.

I've had the heaters for 3 years now and laST Saturday I noticed the right was only working on low. I peeled the grip back a bit and removed the protective tape over the wire to heater connection and discovered a broken wire at the soldered joint. A coule of minutes with a solder gun and I'm toasty again!!
Love 'em.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Same here, there is a noticable change in temp without the shrink wrap on the left bar.

I have two bikes with symtec, one I wrapped the left bar and one I did not.....big difference, takes a while for the left grip to heat back up if I take my hand off it.

STOC #
I just installed mine without any extra insulation. The clutch side heater is different from the throttle side for exactly this reason.

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
Even a couple of layers of electrical tape are better than nothing. I also found that I needed to use the Honda Grip Glue. Hairspray and the like did not hold once they started heating up frequently.

Chris

On the fence

I'm on the fence about buying and installing these.

Reasons are:

- I have an Starcom PTT switch mounted on the left grip. I don't see a way of removing it without ruining it to get the left grip off, because it is attached in a zip tie fashion and I don't think the strap can be "loosened". Maybe I can slip the grip off with it connected, I don't know yet. But I'd rather not ruin the switch. Every time I've ever tried to remove or install grips, it ended up being a struggle.

- Never rode a bike with heated grips, so I wasn't sure how effective they are. I do have Gerbing gloves with a heated jacket liner, but don't wear the gloves all that often unless it is really cold (too much prep). But do you really feel the grip heat with regular winter gloves on?

- I also have to do some minor re-wiring to pull power from the quartet harness, I am currently using the connector that the OEM heated grips would use for a Datel meter. I will move those to another free connector, unless ANY of the connectors from the Quartet harness can power the symtecs. Does anyone know for sure??

- Do you re-use the stock grips?

So, someone, please push me off the fence one way or another. If heated grips (any heated grips) are that worth it, I'll go for it.

-John

STOC #
Yes they are worth the 37 dollars, not sure if the OEM 180+ is worth it :)

I did reinstall my stock grips. I used compressed air to remove and reinstall them.

I also have Gerbing heated gloves and the gloves are not heated in the palms so the heated grips still help.

Love the grips for those 45-55 degree days can still ride with normal gloves.

I don't have the quartet harness but just found a switched 12volt source where the harness should go.

These grip heaters are so good I rarely use the high setting. Ok maybe once so far but it was 25 degrees.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
jgilmore said:
- I also have to do some minor re-wiring to pull power from the quartet harness, I am currently using the connector that the OEM heated grips would use for a Datel meter. I will move those to another free connector, unless ANY of the connectors from the Quartet harness can power the symtecs. Does anyone know for sure??

- Do you re-use the stock grips?
All three have switched 12V power. Two of them have power with ACC also. Not sure about the ACC position and the factory heated grip connector. The plug (black?) with three wires has 12V always on power in addition to switched. This plug is intended for the Radio option in Europe.

I use BMW grips.

NormanPCN said:
All three have switched 12V power. Two of them have power with ACC also. Not sure about the ACC position and the factory heated grip connector. The plug (black?) with three wires has 12V always on power in addition to switched. This plug is intended for the Radio option in Europe.

I use BMW grips.
Norman, thanks for the info - I did know how all of the wires and connectors are switched, but no mention of capacity. Are they all the same in that respect - meaning, does it matter which connector I get switched power to the grips from?

-John

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
Well they went on tonite. First time I took the tupperware off. Not a bad job, just need to stay organized when taking the stuff apart. The +12 switched from the q-harness plug. (I don't have the harness, so I just fed it directly from the red/black. Used hair styling gel (The kind Joe always use :D) to get the grips back on. The stuff get sticky as heck when it dries. Anyway, they work flawlessly, and can't wait for the morning ride. As always, thanks for all the pointers from ya'll. Appreciate it.

Tor

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
NormanPCN said:

I use BMW grips.
One of those 3 plugs in the Q-harness is always hot. I used it to power my GPS.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I just checked. The plug intended for the heated grips is not on in the ACC position. The others are.

The always on circuit is fused at 10A. It is labeled as "Battery" in your fuse box. Blow that fuse and you clock, trip and fuel comsumption meters will reset every time you shut the bike off.

The ACC circuit is fused at 15A. I think the heated grips are on the ACC circuit. Easy to check this out.

OP
OP
Tor

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
It was 34 degr. this morning. Yeah baby, toasty, cooking. Even with thick Held Narvik winter gloves, which are pretty thick, the heat comes right through. Niiice.

STOC #
I'm going to do the heated grips now that you have been through the process and have officially OK'ed their functionality Torlang.

I would like to know more about where the Quartet Harness plugs into. I am not familiar with the harness. I do have a RoadyXT and the grips to plug up so it would be nice to know where to run that power from. :bow1:

Bike
Aprilia Atlantic 200
STOC #
Riders that are having more heat on the right....
If you got the heaters w/o the large white resistor* and got the heaters for MC use not ATV use, the left side is configured to create more heat to offset the heatsink effect**. Billxp touched on this but I wanted to clarify.

* Early Symtecs had the resistor and the same heat output rt. to lt.

**OR you got them on backwards, they are marked :eek:

STOC #
Thanks JGilmore! Because I forgot to ask, what types of switches are best to use for the heated grips? I'm sure it would have to be waterproof and low profile...

Top Bottom