Rotator Cuff Surgery & Riding

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Had rotator cuff surgery 1 1/2 weeks ago. Full thickness tear (NOT due to accident). If anyone has had this surgery, how long was it before you were able to ride and how long was it before you were able do long distance, multi day rides with no problem?

BTW, I have helibars on my 2001 ST1100 if that's important.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
I had my right shoulder done, very similar to what you have had done. Very painful surgery.

I suppose your arm is still imobilized in a sling. I was off work for 3 months and did not (could not) ride during that time.

It was 5 months before I could ride with the docs permission. (I rode after 4 1/2 months ;) )

I too had a 99 ST1100 with heli bars at the time and I found it was very hard to ride.

The main problem was the pulling on the shoulder when you accelerate and need to hold on. You don't realize just how much strain that puts on your shoulder until you have one weakened from injury and repair via surgery.

Another issue was weight bearing during slowing down as you tend then to hold your weight back with your arms.

The two things combined can be difficult to manage.

Give yourself time to heal and ask your doctors advice.

I set off on a long trip earlier than I should have and while I didn't do further damage I used lots of Ibuprofen. You will also find your arm gets tired quickly.

If you re-injure the shoulder chances of fixing it again are almost nil.

Larry.

Yep, left shoulder for me and three months is about when you feel like you are almost back. I think at 6-months (today) I am about 90%. The Heli-bars on the ST made it very difficult to roll it around the garage. Stock bars are easier on the shoulder but you can pretty much count on sitting out for at least two months, probably three. I have a KLR and a ZRX and the KLR was the easiest one to ride I guess due to the light weight and wide bars. Good luck....do the therapy and all the little daily things they show you. Believe it or not, there was a reason for all those sissy exercises. :)

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Had a torn labrum in my right shoulder from a dislocation as well as a very loose "capsule". 5 weeks in the sling and 3 1/2 months in physical therapy. I rode at the 3 1/2 month mark, it was tolerable but certainly not 100% at that point. I live in the Northeast so I planned it around my winter "down time". Best of luck - listen to the physical therapist, they are your greatest allies!

I hate to tell you when I started riding the moto, I was the exception to the rule for a couple of reasons, I insisted on having Platelet Gel injected into the shoulder. The surgeon was so amazed with my recovery, lack of pain post op (can you say NO pain meds, other than a few Ibuprofens here and there), and my rapid return of range of motion. I was actually driving the moto to rehab in no time.

Bike
ST1300/HD FB
Left shoulder for me, along with full bicep tear. In the sling for just over a month. Physical theraphy for 8 weeks. Back on the bike in 3 months...but not 90% until ~6 months. Three years later, doing fine but on long rides it still gets sore.

Key to near full recovery is doing exercises between PT sessions. Don't baby it or it will take longer for the range of motion to "unfreeze".

Good luck!

Herb
'03 ST1300
'99 VFR

I can't give you a timescale for that particular op, but it's true, you don't realise how much you use your shoulder until it's damaged. I was 3 months post clavicle operation before I could look at a bike, and even then it was a small sports bike.

While your arm is in the sling, do as much exercise as your surgeon allows, even if it's only squeezing something with your hand. Once you are free to use the rest of your arm, make sure you follow your physio.

And don't even look at the bike, don't even sit on it and try moving the bars until the surgeon says so. Mrs Gerbil hurt herself a long time after her op by just sitting on the bike in the driveway. And if you can, don't put the bike on the centre stand for a while, that helps as well - that's a very big strain, and an odd set of movements that you are best to avoid.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Can't give you a time frame as I was not riding when I had my shoulder done. My best advice to you is work on range of motion as soon as the Doc allows. I was told by my very old doctor, "You can get your strength back anytime but if you do not get your range of motion back right away, you never will." I touched zero weights for the first 30 days of therapy. I have full range of motion and my shoulder is 95% of what it ever was. My only limiting factor is throwing a ball from an off balance position, I can do it but it sure does hurt for a minute afterwards.

Is this platelet gel injection a new medical technology for rotator cuff tears?
It is gaining in popularity, we've been using with the surgeons here for over 6 years and now the surgeon that did my shoulder, uses it on ALL OF HIS SHOULDERS and ACL repairs. He had been using it (as do 99% of the surgeons at the hospital I work at) use it on all of their Total Knee and Total Hip Replacement cases, but hadn't on his 'out patient' cases until he saw my recovery.

Total knee replacement for example, studies have shown (even at our hospital) go home a day sooner (hospital saves money), require less pain meds (hospital saves money), require less donor blood (hospital saves money), reduce the risk of infection (you guessed it, saves the hospital money), and the patient's have a greater range of motion sooner, than those not getting Platelet Gel.

Platelets are rich in growth factors, so besides just in helping with bleeding, they also help reduce the risk of infection, reduce pain, reduce the need for donor blood, reduce the time in the hospital, increase bone growth....

My younger son had a rare type of hip fracture (alvusion fracture) where he took off running so fast, his muscle tore off a big chunk of his hip bone. The surgeon put two screws in to put the bone in place, and injected Platelet Gel (per my request). The surgeon was amazed at how much faster the bone healed (I wasn't, I knew it would). Because of this, my son was cleared to get back in the game much sooner (baseball).

Oh, I don't think I mentioned that to get the Platelet Gel, depending on the type of surgery, about 44-88 ml's of your OWN blood is drawn off, spun down, and the platelets are recovered and sprayed back in to the surgical wound.

platelet gel injection . . . It is gaining in popularity

[Carl]: Dang. Too late for me. Had right shoulder done about 9 years ago. Left shoulder done 9 weeks ago.
Riding in 7 weeks. :)

Physical therapy is important as is your general health.
I've worked on my core muscles so that my arms can just rest on the grips.

For those fortunate enough to not have torn your rotator cuffs consider weight training WITH AN INSTRUCTOR or therapist. ;)
If you just start working your pecs and biceps, you can aggravate your rotator cuffs. A trained instructor will have you also strengthen the other shoulder supporting muscles. :cool:

It'll make a big difference in your riding endurance and should you end up with a torn rotator cuff, you'll recover sooner with fewer pain meds. :p:

platelet gel injection . . . It is gaining in popularity

[Carl]: Dang. Too late for me. Had right shoulder done about 9 years ago. Left shoulder done 9 weeks ago.
Riding in 7 weeks. :)

Physical therapy is important as is your general health.
I've worked on my core muscles so that my arms can just rest on the grips.

For those fortunate enough to not have torn your rotator cuffs consider weight training WITH AN INSTRUCTOR or therapist. ;)
If you just start working your pecs and biceps, you can aggravate your rotator cuffs. A trained instructor will have you also strengthen the other shoulder supporting muscles. :cool:

It'll make a big difference in your riding endurance and should you end up with a torn rotator cuff, you'll recover sooner with fewer pain meds. :p:
+1 and you should continue to work out those muscles (don't need to look like Arnie), but it is good to keep working with the range of motion all the time.

I had the surgery 2 years after a car accident. Doc went in with a 'scope, saw too much damage so he had to open my shoulder. Surgery and pain killers were great. Doc was good, told me to do ABSOLUTELY WHAT THE PT GUY TELLS YOU, and you'll heal fine. If they tell you to lift one ounce weights, lift one ounce weights. Don't jump to 5.
I was out of work 4 months, and celebrated by buying my ST1300, and rode it home still on light duty. Was doing regular rides within 6 months, and have had no problems since.:D

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Guys, thanks a bunch for the feed back. It's a big help!

Blue One sez: I suppose your arm is still imobilized in a sling. I was off work for 3 months and did not (could not) ride during that time.
I managed to go back to work after 5 days (desk job) but had to go back home for 1/2 day because of pain. Went back to work the following day and all was fine from that point on. I was getting SO bored at home. I think I'll stay out a little longer the next time when the right shoulder gets it's turn.

ron47 sez: I think at 6-months (today) I am about 90%.
This was supposed to be a "clean up" operation that would have only taken a short time to recover from but when the doc got in he found a bunch of damage that had to be repaired. Now I'm looking at months of recovery.

veefore sez: I live in the Northeast so I planned it around my winter "down time".
Yeah, I did the same even though our winters are mild compared to yours.

hojo in sc sez: Platelet Gel injected into the shoulder. The surgeon was so amazed with my recovery, lack of pain post op (can you say NO pain meds, other than a few Ibuprofens here and there), and my rapid return of range of motion. I was actually driving the moto to rehab in no time.
Wow, that's amazing. Never heard of the stuff. When I woke up in the recovery room I was hooked up to some sort of anesthetic "block". I was in virtually no pain until 6 or 8 hours after they unhooked it. The Vicodin took care of that however. I did Vicodin, primarily for sleeping for 3 days then went to ibuprofen.

Nomad05 sez: Key to near full recovery is doing exercises between PT sessions. Don't baby it or it will take longer for the range of motion to "unfreeze".
Started doing exercises yesterday. All I gotta say is YEOW!

Sportthegerbil sez: And don't even look at the bike, don't even sit on it and try moving the bars until the surgeon says so.
Good advice. It's tough going out into the garage only to have my bikes stare at me with those wide, mournful headlights! :p:

Schlep1967 sez: "You can get your strength back anytime but if you do not get your range of motion back right away, you never will."
That's a sobering thought.

Phillyrube sez: If they tell you to lift one ounce weights, lift one ounce weights. Don't jump to 5.
Yeah, this is an easy trap to fall into. I've been in physical therapy for several years for my shoulders (hoping that would cure the problem) and a couple of times I jumped in resistance bands a bit too quickly and my shoulder rebelled!

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
Hey Mick I had my Left Rotator Cuff Surgery April 1st, I didn't ride till July ,everything was fine just the range of motion. I am going back to work in Dec. that will make it 8 months off work.
Don't even try to lift your arm by itself till your therapist or your Doctor says it's time, you don't want to have surgery again more time in the sling, not to mention you will loose some of your range when they have to cut you again !
Like Nomad05 said DO YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY !
Do your exercises at home you will get your range back a lot quicker, but don't push to hard.
I feel 100% better and have all my range of motion back.
Good Luck and your Bike will be there when your better don't rush it.
Don't forget to plug in that battery Tender !

Bike
2005 ST1300
right done 2 years ago. rode back and forth to work 2 months after the surgery. (only 20 miles each way). It was a few more months before i was decent and 1.5 years before i was as good as before surgery.(i lift weights) but happy to say i have exceeded all my lifts and my shoulder feels better than the other one. Do your P.T. and don't skip. You will heal and feel great. Michael

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Is there a doctor in the house? I have a question concerning motorcycle riding and it?s effect on shoulder health? read on.

Today marked my 6th month since rotator cuff repair surgery and I just had a checkup today with the surgeon. The doc said that the shoulder was healed and that I could return to doing normal activities (I will however continue therapy for a while to keep stretching and loosening things back up). When he told me this I immediately said, does this mean I?m OK enough to ride motorcycles? The reaction on his face was immediate. He went on a tear about how he didn?t like motorcycles and mumbled something about how I?d be right back in his office with the same problems I had before the surgery, especially if I "fall off". I questioned him as to whether there was something inherent in riding a motorcycle that caused rotator cuff problems. He sputtered and mumbled for a few seconds. Then as if grabbing something out of the air he said "the vibration".

I knew from speaking with the physical therapists that he was against motorcycles so I wasn?t too surprised but I was a bit surprised at the strength of his reaction. It?s also because of the strength of his reaction and his seeming grasping for words that I?m a bit skeptical about what he said.

If you?re a doc reading this, is there really something about riding motorcycles that is bad enough on the shoulders that it could cause rotator cuff problems?

If you?ve had this surgery, what did your doc say when you popped the question to him, "Can I return to riding motorcycles again"?

I look forward to your replies as this is really bothering me. I can?t say it never occurred to me that my riding over the last 11 years may have had something to do with my shoulder problems. I did after all make the decision to finally have the operation while returning from a 6000 mile, two week trip last summer. It was on that trip that both my shoulders bothered me for the first time while riding.

My shoulders had been bothering me for several years but when it started affecting my riding, I figured it was time to go under the knife. Now I?m unsure what to do after what the doc said. Riding is my only real passion in life but I absolutely do not want to have to go back through another one of these operations needlessly. The recovery from rotator cuff repair surgery is LONG, painful and eats up every single spare minute of you life. It is not fun.

No nothing about riding your bike endangers your rotator cuff - unless you have an accident/ bad fall etc. However hard-core off roading may be different, but normal riding - don't worry.

I tore my rotator cuff in a fight (Krav-Maga) and it took almost 6 months to recover (they don't do surgery here in the UK unless it is a disabling problem). But following recovery some regular exercises really help regain strength because it will not come back by itself.

Here is a link to some exercises, and also some other useful links there about rotator cuffs in general.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

Take it easy, always get advice if you're not sure and you will recover

:03biker: Good luck Andy.

Find another doc (I work with a bunch by the way). I road my motorcycle to rehab after my surgery, and your just getting ready to ride at 6 months :confused: WOW, I was riding within 2 weeks, just didn't put the bike up on the centerstand without my wife there to help.

OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I road my motorcycle to rehab after my surgery, and your just getting ready to ride at 6 months :confused: WOW, I was riding within 2 weeks, .
My RC surgery was pretty major. Had a full thickness tear. It was thought going in that it would just be a simple debridment because the MRI showed nothing bad going on. The rotator cuff is apparently a hard part of the body to image as I've had PT's tell me that tears don't always show up on MRI. At any rate, going into the surgery the doc thought I'd be back to normal in a couple of months. Instead what he found was a torn tendon and as a result I'm looking at a full year to be back to normal.

I'm healed up enough to go back to doing "normal activities" but I've still got plenty of pain & stifness to work out via physical therapy. I also still can't sleep in bed yet due to pain that comes on when I lie down. Sleeping in a recliner is getting REAL old.

Bike
06' st 1300
STOC #
2 WEEKS ! I was in a sling for 7 weeks !
Riding won't be a problem I started riding 3 months after my surgery and yes I did ride to therapy too.
I was back to work driving a eighteen wheeler, lifting, reaching and riding wheelies and after a year I feel better then before the injury.
My doctor said if I was going to be riding dirt bikes to take it easy.
Do your Therapy ! Therapy is your friend !

Top Bottom