HondaLine Heated Grips Thermostat Question

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I would doubt there would be any internal parts for these from Honda. I installed my own and the unit was sealed, compact, and fully self-contained - nothing to service. I think it's a replacement item.

Hope this photo helps -

Gordon

Honda doesn't sell the heat controller as a separate item... they won't even sell a replacement grip separately... you have to buy the whole package... I know that's not what you wanted to hear.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
My Hondaline heated Grips quit working. :( Do you think these would fall under the Honda extended warranty? I installed them myself though...

It's not a blown fuse or anything like that. I think the "thermostat" went out... :( The four lights still light up but grips don't get warm..

Bike
2006 ST1300
Installed yourself, no way. Dealer installed, judgement call.

Has anyone wired the Hondaline grips through another type of controller?

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
- parts not available separately.
- you can run the oem grips off a heatroller if the controller went south
- you can run the symtech grips off the oem controller if a grip went south.

I think George got a few generic PWM controllers although I don't think he ended up needing to try them. Something like this LINK

Note iirc the oem controller cuts out if it see's undervoltage.
I don't know if it flashes or just suspends power to the grips though.

Did you ohm out the grip elements I think the throttle side tends to go 1st but being wired in series neither grip will get warm.

Note symtec elements are wired in parallel.
I *think oem are wired in series.
(they draw about the same load wired as described)

Just keep that in mind if you swap parts.

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Mine are intermittent too. I just took the bike for a ride and they were working again but only in the lowest setting. I think the under-voltage cutout may be messing things up. What's weird is that yesterday the under-voltage cutout was not working as I could turn the grips all the way up and the lights would not flash as they do when you have an under-voltage situation.

I may have a loose connection somewhere...

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Mine are intermittent too. I just took the bike for a ride and they were working again but only in the lowest setting. I think the under-voltage cutout may be messing things up. What's weird is that yesterday the under-voltage cutout was not working as I could turn the grips all the way up and the lights would not flash as they do when you have an under-voltage situation.

I may have a loose connection somewhere...
I had the same symptoms. Turns out, the left grip heater was the problem. Looks like it got so hot, it toasted itself. The ohm meter showed an open unless I gripped it just right. I cut the left grip open and the heating element was brittle and crispy. It only worked for a year. The lower settings worked but the higher settings always flashed. It must have been the stage 4 nuclear heat that I tried the one time when I burned my left hand.

I am currently waiting for my Dual Star heat kit to arrive. They are supposed to work with the original Honda controller.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I asked about the controller because the Hondaline one is in a bad location; its clumsy to use; difficult to see the setting while riding; and is difficult to use at night. A nice controller in a convenient location would be great.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Does anyone know if the Hondaline Heated grip 4 position thermostat is available separately? I am just wondering if they are out there.
I was able to source a separate grip for "EAST" from Honda UK and post it out to him . I have a good contact in the company that maybe could help out.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
When my Honda heated grips stopped working, I traced it down to the wire which connects the two grips (grips are wired in series). Regardless, I wanted spare parts. I have been able to procure an extra controller, plus a complete set of new Honda grips via eBay at very reasonable prices. Every now and then, when a dealer replaces only the component which failed, the other items are listed for auction.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
The Dual-Star heaters have been installed and wired as per Anna'sDad's wiring schematic. They heat up and they work.

Only a trial riding down the road will prove whether or not I still have Nuclear Level 4 available for those days I should not even consider riding. For now, while idling in the shop, there is heat for the hands.

JZH

International Bodger
I don't know why you guys are so sure about the parts not being available separately...I bought my controller, left and right grips as separate parts through David Silver Spares in the UK. I did it because it was substantially cheaper than ordering the whole kit, as I did not need the pre-made wiring harness or the new bar-end weights. Unfortunately, DSS no longer sell ST1300 parts (Honda stomped on 'em), but the part numbers are out there (possibly in one of my posts on this forum) and that means they can be ordered through any Honda dealer (outside of the USA, perhaps).

Ciao,

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
You can order one from DSS.

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/parts/by-part-number/part_08T50MCS80101/

Screen shot from DSS-

Picture 1.png

You used to be able to order the individual heated grips from DSS as well.

MaHonda put the smack down on them for ST1300 parts because of the top box.

Give them a call.

Another thought, if you think you are having problems with the switch (Thermostat) check your battery first.

The switch will cut power if voltage is low.

JZH

International Bodger
Part numbers:

08T50-MCS-80101 is the ST1300 electronic controller, €99 @ DSS, €71@ CMSNL.com (or try 08T50-13A-00003, which is €55 @ CMS and looks exactly like mine...but they could have switched pics, maybe)

08T50-13A-00001 (Right grip), €40.6 @ DSS, €60.5 @ CMS

08T50-13A-00002 (Left grip), €80.7 @ bike-parts.fr (not available at either DSS or CMS at the moment--no idea why not, but could indicate that it is actually NLA everywhere)

These prices all include VAT at approx. 20%, but non-EU orders should not be charged VAT (though shipping will, of course, be more expensive).

Ciao,

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #
My Hondaline heated Grips quit working. :( Do you think these would fall under the Honda extended warranty? I installed them myself though...

It's not a blown fuse or anything like that. I think the "thermostat" went out... :( The four lights still light up but grips don't get warm..

I can tell you from experience that the Grips are only covered under the original 3 year bike warranty if they were purchased at the time of the original sale of the bike, were listed on the original invoice for the bike and installed by the dealer. It won't be covered under the extended warranty.

Bike
2007 ST1300ABS
Part numbers:

08T50-MCS-80101 is the ST1300 electronic controller, €99 @ DSS, €71@ CMSNL.com (or try 08T50-13A-00003, which is €55 @ CMS and looks exactly like mine...but they could have switched pics, maybe)

08T50-13A-00001 (Right grip), €40.6 @ DSS, €60.5 @ CMS

08T50-13A-00002 (Left grip), €80.7 @ bike-parts.fr (not available at either DSS or CMS at the moment--no idea why not, but could indicate that it is actually NLA everywhere)

These prices all include VAT at approx. 20%, but non-EU orders should not be charged VAT (though shipping will, of course, be more expensive).

Ciao,
Thanks for this. Thermo (and other individual parts) can also be purchased from Ling's in the UK for 104 pounds (make sure you get them to take the VAT off that if you are outside the EU) plus shipping.

http://www.hondaoriginalparts.com/

I've had my 2007 ST1300 for a year now with no problems apart from the thermostat failing. I can get alternative grips fitted more cheaply so I'm still mulling over whether to keep the original honda grips- especially if they tend to be unreliable.

Top Bottom