heated grips

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
If you search the heated grip threads, you'll find various options. Anything you do is probably about the same difficulty factor, perhaps a little more with the Symtec or Kimpex heater foil type and new grips, but you still have to do wiring and add in a controller. I myself prefer the Hot Grips as they are a bit larger diameter and well made, but you will need a heat-troller control with anything you choose. I think the Hondaline kit has the controller included but is your most expensive option (and some have had failures in earlier days).

TexaST

Mark
Bike
'03 ST1300
STOC #
Same here. Installed Symtec yesterday with rocker switch. Hardest partis getting grips off and back on. Work great. Rode in to work this morning at 22 degrees.

Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Hondaline grips need the quartet harness .I think it is a clean install as the harness connects without wire splicing into the main electrical system of the ST. It has a nice control unit. Same harness will give you swithced power as well to use for a 12V plug (only 2 Amps or so) but it is convenient for temporay onmstallation of a GPS or Radar detector or anything which pulls less than 2 amps. I like mine and use it fairly often, it has built in protection for battery dischareg

Give a thought to heated gloves. The new ones from Gerbings with the microwires look to be fine. When the grips heat up, they send most of the heat to your palm, not he end of your fingers. Heated gloves heat the whole hand much better.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
how bulky are the golves?
thanks for all the responses
great site.

mike
The Gerbing G3 gloves aren't any bulkier than "normal" cold weather gloves, but you will notice their bulk compared to regular riding gloves. They are warm enough that I don't need to turn on the heat until it gets really cold.

Bike
08 ST1300A
to install the honda grips you need to remove a lot of plastic to install the harness that they plug in to , to answer your question , no it is not easy in my opinion , not to mention putting a square hole in the plastic to install the controller for the grips on the left side , they do work very well but not an easy task if your not good with tools .

Bike
06' ST1300
STOC #
yes,
Jason,
these are the "old" type using a resistor to drop the heat, for the low setting. They always have the same amperage draw, hi or low, and you must position the resistor somewhere away from anything that will melt.(plastic) spend $10 more and get the Symtec style. willy

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
I installed Oxford Heated Grips a couple of winters ago (just in time to move from the Midwest to Texas!). They have re-engineered them to where they now include the grips with wiring preinstalled (the ones I have used the foil wrap around the bar and you reinstalled the original grip).

Mine are wired into my fuseblock.

OP
OP
so i bought a set of oxford grips today
instead of hard wiring them to the battery terminal
is there a better place to wire to so when the bike is turned of the power is
enabled to the grips

mike

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
so i bought a set of oxford grips today
instead of hard wiring them to the battery terminal
is there a better place to wire to so when the bike is turned of the power is
enabled to the grips

mike
I'd use a relay to power an add on fuse panel and draw the power for your farkles from that. search the site for blue sea, fuzeblock, centech for examples.

You can use a positap or other insulation displacement tap to get the power to trigger the relay. From memory (dubious at best) red wire with green stripe from the oem fuse panel under the cover by the handle to get the bike up on the center stand on the 1300. The relay doesn't draw much power so other things like a running light + wire would also work.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Forgitaboutit made his own heated vest. He may have some ideas about wrapping the grips with Nichrome wire.:D

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
I went wit hthe honda heated grips and I think it doesnt matter which way you go as long as you do one of the greatest farkles to your bike .
This was the best money spent in fixing my bike for me

Has anyone started with the toggle switch and then moved to a heat-troller? Did anyone notice any variance of more or less heat between the two? Is the 2 position toggle too limiting in the heat selection and is the heat troller the better way to go?

Top Bottom