Micro Wire Pants/Jacket Liner Test Ride

Got out yesterday to try out my new Micro Wire jacket and pants liner,

I went against Gerbings recommendation and wore the set up as the first layer. Over that was Under Armour. Top layer was a two piece RoadCrafter, Alpinestar boots and Shoei full face helmet

I also wore Gerbing's socks and much older style Gerbing gloves

I used three controllers. Socks and gloves on individual controller and the pants/jacket on the third.

The temperature was 37 - 41 degrees. It was sunny with little to no wind. For a few miles the road was shaded. The trip was 50 miles on the interstate. Speeds from 65 - 75 MPH.

For the pants and jacket liner the controller was just turned on. This setting provided adequate heat except in the shade with a dip to 37 degrees. Here I turned it up slightly to about 1/8 of a turn. If the temps had been higher I would have been better off with something between the liners and my skin.

I'm replacing a 15 year old set of liners. At these conditions, with the old stuff, the controller would have been set about a third to half a turn. For this ride the gloves where at a third turn and the socks closer to a half turn.

Very pleased with the new liners and am looking forward to getting the T-5 gloves. I think I'll skip the heated insoles and stay with the socks.

The only suggestion I have is the connection pad on the jacket liner should be on the outside. That would make for a smoother fit.

At speed the voltage was steady at 13.5 volts. At idle it was 12.8 volts. That's down about 0.2 volts from riding without the electrics.

Len

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Good information, thanks for the review. I am looking at getting the heated vest from gerbings.
I would recommend the jacket liner instead of the vest. You get heat on your arms, which stick out in the wind, and you get the glove connectors in the sleeves. Makes it much easier to use the electric gloves, when you get them. And be sure to get the dual controller the first time around. JMO.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the report. We've got legacy Gerbings gear and were eyeing the new stuff at yesterday's motorcycle show in Seattle. The Gerbings booth was slammed with people. Nice to see a little company doing well.

John

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
My wife and I both have the new jacket liners and love them. She has the Gerbing mittens and I have the G-3 gloves. I took a test ride with the T-5 and to me they were to much of a handfull of padding for the grips. Just my two cents. Keep warm!!!!!

Bike
ST1300
I thought the gerbing stuff was a bit pricey so I went with the first gear with the jacket liner, heated gloves with 2 controllers, rode all day in 30 degree weather and with no prob, I wore long sleeve t with liner over and Joe Rocket 3/4 jacket very comfy, I did notice to have cuff of gloves over jacket so no cold stuff gets in, could ride for days like that, gloves are on high at that temp but jacket on 1/2

OP
OP
lenparkin
I agree with getting the liner instead of the vest. The vest will extend your riding season till your arms get cold.

It's a very good suggestion to get the duel control right at the start. That will save a couple bucks down the road.

I was able to find the liners at a dealers open house with everything 20% off.

I bought my original gear from a family member at the New York MC Show. It is positivily great to see a family business grow because of a good product combined with good service.

Len

Bike
2012 K-1600 GTL
STOC #
As always, these posts confuse me. It was only down to 45 in fog for my ride to Lockhart and I end up running the g-3 gloves at 3/4 or greater all the time and the jacket liner at 1/2. I know the humidity plays a part in the perception of cold and I also know that bar risers lift my hands out into the breeze a little more but 50-75% more power to keep my hands warm?

Also, when I turn up the jacket enough to keep the anterior arms warm enough, I bake my torso and when I set the controller for my torso, my arms get cold. This is with a Roadgear 3/4 length waterproof riding jacket too.

Also, does anyone with G-3 gloves have a wire and seam on the right thumb that hits right on the throttle?

I had forgotten all of these minor complaints during the 90 degree plus part of my riding year.

Chris

OP
OP
lenparkin
I know there's a big difference between 40 degrees and sunny and 40 degrees and no sun. It feels a lot colder with out the heat from the sun.

I think draft management plays a large part in how much heat you need. I usually zip my two piece Roadcrafter together to eliminate a draft up my back. With the draft I turn up the thermostate to try and compensate. Then the other parts are too warm.

Len

Bike
2003 ST1300 A
Took out a warm and safe "second" today with a controller. 37 in chicago so not too cold, but what a difference. Few layers needed and I was perfectly comfortable. Oil changes will come way more frequently.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I've had my liner and G5 gloves for a few weeks now. I bought the newer microwire in each and really can't feel any wires at all. It would be nice to have a little more heat in the arms than the torso but it is not that far off. When temps get below 25, the heated collar is my favorite feature of the liner. The gloves have worked great down to 19 degrees so far but are a little bulky and like the previous poster mentioned they too do not give you fine motor skills while wearing them.

I bought the dual controller that clips to your clothes. I wish I'd went ahead and got the panel mount controllers. I haven't found a really good location to clip the controllers to my Roadcrafter - the wires need to be about a foot longer for me. Other than that, I am really pleased with the liner and the gloves. My only regret is that I didn't own any heated gear last winter.
Mike

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
MIKE - On my Darien, I clip the controller on the front left pocket and have coax 'extension' wires from Gerbing for the clothes. I run the wires up the inside of the liners and out the neck of the Darien. That way the controller is in easy reach and all I have to do is look down to see it. Since I have three ST1100s, I don't have to install a 'fixed' controller on each bike. This setup has worked well for me for many thousands of miles.

Top Bottom