Heated glove into 12V?

Bike
Red
Recently installed a standard 12V cigar style plug on the ST to charge phone and power GPS. But would a pair of Gerbing 12V gloves plug into that type plug or would it be too much. I suppose if it's too much I can just go straight to the battery with the harness, but that seems like a long ways to go for a pair of gloves. I'm just a little clueless with this type tech stuff so please inform.

Bike
2004 VFR 800A
STOC #
ProV1,

Wouldn't think it would be too much, I will plug my socks, pants and jacket liner into one BMW type plug with a 15 A. fuse on my ride to South Dakota in the morning.

Jim

Monument, CO

OP
OP
ProV1
Bike
Red
How welll would just heated gloves (no jacket liner) work anyway. Seems I'd have a cord or two in the way since the gloves wouldn't be connected to a liner, but straight to a power source. Do you think this would be sorta unhandy. Of course I'd rather just get the liner too, but my hands are the bigger problem on cold days so I hadn't really thought too much about a liner just yet.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Heated gloves will get mighty hot if they're plugged in straight to the power. You'll want to be able to adjust the current flow so your hands are "just so" instead of set for full roast. A Heatroller is the device you need for that. There are single and dual controllers depending on how many heated devices you want to control at once. As far as your cord being in the way without a heated jacket liner, just run the glove harness inside your riding jacket sleeves. Plug into the gloves at each hand, and run the other end out the bottom of your jacket to your power source.

As far as how well does heat work and what works best, the first heated accessory I turn on is heated grips. If it gets colder, next on is the heated jacket liner. Colder still (and by now it's probably below 40) out come the heated gloves. I just got heated gloves last fall and find they were GREAT especially for my Versys which has much less wind coverage than my ST.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
My first heated accessory was a pair of old Widder gloves. Came with a cigarette-style plug and a Y-shaped harness. I mounted a power outlet just below the left fairing pocket (ST1100) to plug it in to using 12Ga wire with a 15amp fuse.

I never bothered running the wires inside my jacket, once mounted on the bike and with the gloves on the wires were not an issue.

Without a Heatroller you may find yourself manually cycling the power on and off, depending on temperature.

Heated gear is the cat's meow!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
PROV - The key is what max amp rating for the cigarette plug. I think 15 amps covers the entire Gerbing setup (jacket liner, gloves, socks and pants liner) so IIRC about 3-5 amps should be way plenty for just the gloves as far as rating goes. Seems like the gloves use less than 40 watts so you'll have to do the math. But you will need an off/on switch or a controller. Gerbing usually sends a glove harness and the battery hookup (which is fused but not switched) with each set of gloves. You can also get an adapter that converts the cigarette socket to the Powerlet/John Deere/BMW style that slips right into the socket.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I wired a circuit directly from my battery(fused) to the widder plug, I used different wire, and then wired in an inline light switch. The whole thing exits in front of the saddle, I put on the body harness, then my jacket. I plug in the gloves and use the rotary switch if they get too warm. It's simple and cheap.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Without a Heatroller you may find yourself manually cycling the power on and off, depending on temperature.

Heated gear is the cat's meow!
No kidding, click---hot, click---cold, it's never ending cycle.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
G3 gloves draw 2.2 amps, according to the Gerbing website, so current shouldn't be a problem. You will need a controller, as others have mentioned, because they get pretty warm at full power.

OP
OP
ProV1
Bike
Red
Man, great info guys. I came to this site not knowing squat, but thanks to feedback like this I'm getting better everyday. Great stuff.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wired my variable heat controller into an isolated power panel in the left glove box and use a 3 amp fuse for my Gerbing gloves. Mounted the control just below the left glove box against the false tank cover. I also bought the coiled cord for the gloves. Has one connector to the control cable and is a Y cable, one leg to each glove just like the original straight cords. No problem with the cable being outside of the jacket. Like it better that way since it's easier to plug and unplug. Didn't like fishing the straight cord through the jacket sleeves.

Top Bottom