Heated Grips Glue

Bike
2007 ST1300
Hello,

Got heated grip kit for christmas from my wife. I talked with Honda dealer locally and he of course had no HondabondA. I have Hondabond HT for gasket high temp etc. Can that be used on the hondaline grips? Or if not what can i use from Honda. Or if anyone knows where to get Hondabond A on line i would appreciate it.

NormeyJ

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
You could or any hight temp rtv gasket material.
Dont know about the honda grips but the BMW ones slide on an stick fine using hair spray.
The cheapest xtrahold stuff at the dollar store.

I slit and peeled my oem grips stuck on symtech heated elements and slid on the bmw grips with alcohol as a lube no adheasive. No slips even in 800mile days of rain.

You gonna like the heat btw :)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
+1 on the hair spray .. it's worked fine for me also.
I've yet to ever try this... but keep hearing about it..

If you really want the honda brand, I have some honda grip cement.. PM me your address and I'll mail it to ya.. use what you want and mail me back the rest.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If you have an air compressor shoot a little under the grip at the bar end.
It'll swell up and comes off like magic.

If you don't slit em lengthwise (be careful not to slice into the throttle sleave) and peel em off.

Joe,
Have you ever had to remove them after using grip glue? How much of a pain is it?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1 Cheap extra hold hair spray is the trick! Used it for years and it allows you to get the grips back off if you ever need to, but holds everything nicely in place. And the air hose is the bomb on getting the grips off also as Carl pointed out.

fredz43

Fred Z
STOC #
Just make sure that you don't use an air hose on heated grips that have the elements in the grips, as the Honda OEM heated grips do. Those heating elements are not elastic.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I think this just turned in to an oil thread:crackup

Seriously any of that sticky gunk should do the trick including aquanet.
Cheaper the better.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Fortunately, they make cheap hairspray in an unscented version. (This was also a good thing when we made the potato cannons...)

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, cheap hairspray is the cat's meow. Also acts as a decent lubricant to help slip the grips onto the bars, then when it dries, it holds fast (think of your mom's '60s hairstyle!).

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If you can't use air on the Honda heated grips, how do you get them off? I want to change the throttle, but I'm not cutting a $130 grip apart!

Tom

If you can't use air on the Honda heated grips, how do you get them off? I want to change the throttle, but I'm not cutting a $130 grip apart!

Tom
Take WD-40 with the little tube and slide it in a little ways at the top and spray some in, repeat at 3:00 and 9:00 postions. Try to tilt bars so WD-40 flows inward if possible. Massage / flex the rubber every so often and repeat as needed. It will soften up the old grip glue.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Take WD-40 with the little tube and slide it in a little ways at the top and spray some in, repeat at 3:00 and 9:00 postions. Try to tilt bars so WD-40 flows inward if possible. Massage / flex the rubber every so often and repeat as needed. It will soften up the old grip glue.
Thanks, I didn't think of that.

Tom

I would never ever ever use the glue, only hairspray. If you use the glue you will never be able to get them off neatly or be able to save them later. I pulled my heating elements off recently because I wanted to insulate the bar on he left side and to fix a busted wire on the right. Had I glued them on like some of my friends did, I would have had to replace the elements completely.

oh, bicycle street tire inner tube makes a great insulator for the left side grip. No need to insulate the right side as the throttle is plastic.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
oh, bicycle street tire inner tube makes a great insulator for the left side grip. No need to insulate the right side as the throttle is plastic.
I'm installing the Symtec with the Warm-n-safe troller this weekend. Is the inner tube a confirmed test? I thought Symtec elements compensate for plastic/metal sides.

And let me get this right... hairspray will work as a high-temp epoxy for the grips? Why on earth would someone spray this on their head????? :eek:

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I'm installing the Symtec with the Warm-n-safe troller this weekend. Is the inner tube a confirmed test? I thought Symtec elements compensate for plastic/metal sides.

And let me get this right... hairspray will work as a high-temp epoxy for the grips? Why on earth would someone spray this on their head????? :eek:
I don't know the specifics, I run out of the bathroom when ever the toxic spray comes out, but I can tell you a nuclear hot flat iron is nothing to be trifled with.:22yikes:

Seriously though you don't need much holding power. When I used the air compressor trick to take off the oem grips I just stuck the heaters on and used rubbing alcohol to wet the bars and inside of the bmw grips and slid them on. Didn't bother with the hairspray. They held fine with the remnants of the original glue and have been thru some day long frog stranglers.

Top Bottom